Thursday, March 5, 2009

Five on the 5th

Five "cover" songs
that I like much, much better even than the original versions(with apologies to Chet Baker/Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Cat Stevens, The Bobby Fuller Four, and Patti Smith).
*I hope the songs can be played on this box.net widget--I've never added one of these to my blog before. If you can't see them, I have also added a playlist in the sidebar.




1. My Funny Valentine ~ Elvis Costello

2. Somewhere Over The Rainbow ~ Eva Cassidy

3. Wild World ~ Beth Orton

4. I Fought The Law ~ The Clash

5. Dancing Barefoot ~ U2
If I could only find a clip or recording of the Hindu Love Gods doing Prince's Raspberry Beret, there would have been a number 6 to this list. Does anyone remember this song done by members of REM and Warren Zevon? I would love to hear that again...

Also, I would be interested in learning what other reader's favorite covers songs are.

11 comments:

Zuzana said...

Ah, My Funny Valentine is my favorite Chet Baker tune, but I like the cover version too.;))
Did you know that Elvis Costello is married to Diana KralL?
Eva Cassidy is my mothers favorite singer. How tragic she is not around anymore.;))
I have never heard any of these covers, it was indeed a pleasure to listen to music while having my coffee brake at work.;)

Zuzana said...

Ok, I did not mean to make a funny face after the tragic statement about Eva. Gee...
And I am not sure if it is coffee break, and not brake.
Sorry. Not my day today.:(

Anonymous said...

The video wont show :( Very good songs though :)

Manders said...

"True Colors" by Phil Collins is better than Cyndi Lauper's version. Also, David Usher did a version of "Fast Car" with Tracy Chapman doing back-ups. It is really acostic-y and nice!

cheatymoon said...

I like Adele doing "That's It, I Quit", but I love the Sam Cooke version too.

Covers are fun. I also really like Jimmy Buffet doing "Southern Cross".

Fun post, Tina.

sallymandy said...

"Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Eric Clapton.

Fun idea, GF!

And: in response to your comment, as much as the west seems exotic to you, the East Coast is civilized and refined in my mind. That's always been attractive.

Claus said...

I have to confess I did not know any of these songs! :-( but it was interesting to listen to them and learn that these versions you share are the "the second ones". I agree with Manders; Phil Collins' version of True Colors is nicer, though just yesterday I saw Cindy Lauper singing it acapella with only a guitar, and a tear came out of my eye.
Personally, I have to say I like better Michael Bublé's Come Fly with me than Frank Sinatra's original. Lots pops into my mind, but most of them are in Spanish.

Gal Friday said...

~Protege,
Ah, I LOVE when I hear Chet Baker play that song, too..but--I just think the perfect version is sung by Elvis C. Yes, I did know he is married to Diana Krall--and I just saw that she is coming near here to perform in June, but I just can't afford ANY tickets to any shows right now.
Thanks for having a listen to the songs(and that's okay about the brake/break--you KNOW about all y mistakes and gaffes when leaving messages)

~~RoseAnn,
If you look >>>> right in the sidebar, I have asmaller version that WILL play the tunes.

~~I'll have to look those up, never having heard either one...yet!

~~Erin,
Two more I have never heard(I like Adele's voice but have only heard two songs by her)

~~Sallymandy,
And..another one to check out!
As for it being more, er, "civilised" here..probably not. Just different--crowded with old buildings, small and hemmed in mostly, while I think of out west(where I have never been so far) as all open skies, big vistas and a different culture. One day I'll travel more. I have always kept the first mail my husband sent me from Montana, a week after I met him(he left for a road trip the next day).

~~Claudia,
I DO like Cyndi Lauper's voice, and I can imagine how great it sounds acapella. I'll have to see if I can hear Buble's "Come Fly With Me" somehow--if it is better than Frank's, it must be pretty darn good!

cessie said...

I like Eva Cassidy's version of Somewhere over the rainbow too. I find Connie Talbots version special too though ;-).
My fave cover at this moment is: To make you feel my love by Adel :-). I so love it!
Have a great weekend!

j said...

great post! i hadn't ever heard the elvis costello cover of "my funny valentine." i love it (and i conveniently just got an i-tunes gift card!) have you heard nora jones's version of time after time? it's very timeless (unlike the cyndi lauper original).

Gal Friday said...

~Hi Cessie!
I don't know Connie Talbot(it doesn't sound Dutch)--will have to look online to see if I can find her version of the song.

~~Judy/S.G.,
Both my husband and I think of Elvis C's version of "Valentine" as "our song"--glad to hear you like it, too. There's something about the simplicity and shortness of it that just makes this THE version for me.
And I would LOVE to hear N. Jones singing "Time After Time"--I love her voice and had no idea she has covered that song. Thanks for the advice on that one!