Thursday, March 12, 2009

A few more photos from my Tuesday wanderings with the dog. Looking over all the photos, I can see how dead and sombre it all looks, and not just because of the gravestone photos. Everything around here is still all shades of tan, brown and grey.
These photos are of South Ferry Church and the little graveyard across the street from it.
South Ferry, or Franklin Ferry, was a thriving community, offering ferry service to Jamestown and Newport (both on islands in the bay) for more than a hundred years, beginning in the early 1700’s. There isn't even a North Ferry any longer, since a bridge was built in the late 1940's. The descendants of Abel Franklin, the first ferry master( a relative of Benjamin Franklin) are buried in this graveyard. I know most of these "facts" because of a certain customer of mine, who loves to tell me (or anyone who will listen) stories abut the area.
The stones are not in the best condition and difficult to read, having been worn away by the salty sea air over a hundred years. Most are from the mid-1700's to the early 1800's, from what I could read on them.














9 comments:

Manders said...

I love graveyards. Does that make me morbid or what? There is so much history there. So many stories that you can infer from what is written on the tombstone. I am sure that some of the inferences may be more about the person who wrote the inscription than the actual person. Still they are so interesting....

At least you can see the grass. We still have white stuff on the ground! :-)

Content in a Cottage said...

Tina...I absolutely love the carved angel on the 18th century headstone of Sarah Confort. The church is beautiful too. You are lucky to have the customer who loves to spread the folk lore of this area...whether you want to hear it or not. ♥Rosemary

Unknown said...

great photos and the story to go along with it. learning about the area you live is interesting.

yes, it is ugly out right now here in Michigan also. so dead and brown and the left over mess from all the snow. blahhhh.....

Anonymous said...

Well...you are not only a great painter but also -as far as I can see- you are a great photographer as well!As for Jewel, she can put to shame Naomi Campell. Hope Naomi will never read this or else ... I am in trouble!

Anonymous said...

Those are great shots Tina! Looks like you had another nice walk :)

Gal Friday said...

~Amanda,
I don't think it is morbid at all, since I like cemetraies, too. I find them peaceful places, and you get a feeling for what came before. I never thought about the personality of the inscription's writer(stone cutter also?) until you mentioned it...

~Rosemary, I really don't mind this particular customer's stories(his wife is the one to say, "Don't get him started...").

~~Doreen(Luckebabe!),
It must be worse for you in Michigan--just that much further north and a later spring.

~~Anastasia,
Why thank you for your compliment about my photos(I really don't think I am that good at all).
As for Jewel--I always think of her as "Miss Sexy Legs", because of her long lean legs, teeny, tiny feet that she zips around on, and her trim figure(which she manages to keep in spite of all she eats!)

~~RoseAnn,
Thanks! It is so much more enjoyable to be out walking around and stopping to take photos, now that the cold has eased up.

~~Only,
Coming from someone who takes REALLY great photos, I want to thank you especially for that compliment on my photos.

Gal Friday said...

Oops!
"...I like cemetraies, too"
Cemetaries. There-that's better.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tina, see what I mean? Jewel's long , lean legs put to shame Naomi's. And Naomi has only got two! What does Jewel eat? Well, Blanche, my mum's labrador, would eat 8 slices of ham for breakfast in addition to her dog food and on Christmas Eve she'd eat 10 kourambiedes and 5 melomakarona (traditional Greek Christmas sweets). She passed away 3 years ago at the age of 18.

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia!
18 years is very old for a dog and I guess the rich table food Blanche ate didn't hurt her.
We give Jewel little tidbits during the day, besides her kibble and biscuit at bedtime--she is definitely not deprived of food. She is such a busybody dog--always alert and moving quickly, that I think she just burns all the calories off!