Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thank God For Little Boys...

....running wildly in the mud.
and thank God for Mozart, Nina Simone, The Daily Show,
and husbands who come to mammogram appointments with you. (and thank you, too, for nice bloggy friends who give awards...)

I had a half bad day/half good day.
Today, I felt like embracing and rolling with the lousy tired mood I was in from the time I woke up. The weather was depressing(dark, wet, drizzly and cold), the headache would not go away(I think it had something to do with my sinuses since it was always throbbing right over my left eyebrow) and I felt rushed and kept doing stupid things all day--up until suppertime when I almost served a quiche that wasn't quite done. Mr. F took over and baked it some more and supper, although at 8:00, was saved and served after all.
But, really, it wasn't such a bad day. Work was rather nice. The little dramas from Monday were a thing of the past--like they never happened. It was slow business-wise which isn't good but I was moving like a slug anyway, so at least I could keep up.
We usually have the radio set to the local NPR station all day in the back workroom, but today all of us (all three of us!)couldn't take any more gloom and doom(a guest was talking about both the global financial meltdown and the direness of the global warming situation)so co-worker G popped in a CD and it was a relief to be listening to The Marriage of Figaro(which always makes me think immediately of a certain Bugs Bunny cartoon, sad to say) and Nina Simone. After that, my mood and even physical self(headache went away for a bit and I felt energetic and calm at the same time) improved 100%. The few customers that I dealt with were for the most part, all a certain kind of older lady-- dressed in their sensible coats and shoes and very sweet to talk to. No pressure.
I kind of had to rush around after I left work--first to home to let the dog out, then back to the school in time to pick the daughter up after her volunteering. It was going to be tight since as soon as I brought R home, I would have to get back in the car to make it in time for the mammogram appointment. So I was stressing a little as I got to the school, feeling depressed about the drizzle and grey landscape, my head pounding a little(and at the back of my mind the mammogram was probably making me a little more anxious than usual)but as I turned into the entrance I noticed about five or six little boys(maybe around six years old) in the grass, running and stomping in that little boy way--so happy just to be outside with their coats flapping open, even if they were getting wet and getting muddy. I just had to smile and and say to myself, "take it easy, like those kids..and their mothers over there who are letting them do that".
The mammogram was er, "squeezy" but all in all not so bad. Apparently, my breasts are extra dense(which doesn't mean big, by all means), so I got to have two extra pictures taken on top of the usual four, too. Lucky me. But, it's done. I'll try not to think of the report I'll get in a few days time(the worst part for me). A little glass of wine on the couch with the husband and laughing out loud watching The Daily Show made everything all right in the end.
Which brings me to another very good thing-- another award from a much admired blogger-- the don'tworryitsonlyamovie lady thought of me(!) when she had the job of passing on the "When Life Gives You Lemons" award.

I don't know that I always know how to make lemonade out of lemons but I think I am pretty good at trying to see the good side(or at least the comical) of things, even when things are not going my way. I know my life is not the most exciting, but then it's not a bad life at all either and I try to make this a place where I write about the little things that to me, at least, are really the big things in life.

There are some rules to go along with the award and they are:
*Post the logo on your blog.
*Nominate blogs that show great attitude or gratitude.
*Link to the nominees within your blog post.
*Notify the recipients of the award by commenting on their blog.
Share the love and link back to the person from whom you received your award.

So here are my nominees....please take a look around their excellent blogs if you haven't already.

A World To Experience (the first person I knew who had a blog here at Blogger!)

Life, Work And Pleasure

Content In A Cottage







6 comments:

vdesheva said...

I hope your mammogram results will be fine!!! *hugs*

Zuzana said...

Ah, thank you so much for this lovely award my dear friend! I love the idea behind it.;)) And you strike me as if you do know how to make a lemonade out of lemons very well.;))) So congratulations on the award as well.;))

I love the pictures you took on your walk, they might be not so much sad as more serene.

I love your evening with your husband and a glass of wine; what a lovely mental picture.

Hope your evening today will be as good as well.
And thank you again.
xoxo
Z

Content in a Cottage said...

Thanks for the Lemonade Award. I will try to be worthy of it next time I have a "sour" post.

I always look on the bright side of life or as the old saying goes, "If you can't see the bright side, at least polish the dull side." ♥Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I am sure all will be well with your results. I must say that when I saw the graphic of the Dels lemonade my heart skipped a beat. Something I miss growing up in RI. However you can now get it at certain Tim Hortons in Maine now, so when I visit my family I get it :)

cheatymoon said...

Good luck with the screening results.

Little boys playing like puppies can be a spirit lifting thing indeed. See how I love my job so much?

Enjoy the award, and I love the Del's reference. We have it up here too! (Or did last time I checked, but I suppose that could close too...)

cessie said...

Thanks so much for awarding me :-)).
I feel very honoured!
Will post a blog about it in the weekend I promise!

I so agree with you, I cannot take all the gloom and doom anymore either...as if there's nothing nice left to talk about. So sometimes me too I really switch it off and take it easy for a while ;-)