Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Night Mayhem (sort of)

Picture the 40-Something Mom in her Ford Escort wagon dutifully bringing her 14 year old daughter and her best friend home after the school district's "Pizza Pigout" event. I'm tuning into any old radio station because I figure these girls do NOT want to be horrified by me listening to ELO on the oldies station("It's a livin' thing,It's a terrible thing to lose...") or the "blues at eight" program on my regular radio station. So....let's see what this song is. Is it? It's that Cro-Magnon beat--I recognize that.
It's "You Got To Fight..For Your Right...To Pa-a-a-rty."

"Turn it up, Mom."

"Is this The Beastie Boys? I LOVE this song!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NdAUnnU9Ac

So, yes, we were all singing along with the song turned up about as loud as the stereo can be on a Ford wagon. I did not picture that happening when I went out to pick up the girls...at all.

On a completely different note, I am excited about "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" starting this Sunday(on HBO). The reviews have been good, which is a relief to me, as I hate it when the transfer from book to movie/TV ruins it. The series was even filmed on location in Botswana.

8 comments:

sallymandy said...

Tina, I'm living vicariously through you, getting ready for the "real" teenage years. I have two years to go before a scene like that--although my daughter and her friend carefully avoided walking with my husband and me as the four of us went to OUR pizza pigout for dinner tonight.

I adored the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books. We don't get HBO. I hope those movies come out on DBD someday.

Happy weekend. :)

Dave King said...

And now I've stumbled on your intriguing blog. I shall be back for a much longer browse.

Content in a Cottage said...

Boo Hoo ... I don't subscribe to HBO. I think I will have a friend with a dvd recorder make discs for me. Thanks for the hot tip.

Your songfest sounded like fun. A surprise bonding is always good. Enjoy the weekend. ♥Rosemary

cheatymoon said...

I can picture the car pick scene. Great stuff. My kid won't let me even acknowledge a good song on the radio. If I show any sign of positive emotion, he changes the station or turns it off. I'm that embarrassing.

If I had HBO, someone would have to invent superglue remover to get my ass of this couch... but I'm sure that show will be fun.

Zuzana said...

I love ELO!;)) "Twilight" is my favorite.;) Not a great fan of Beastie Boys, but boy would I love to have been in that car with you.;))

Just a curiosity; my aunt lived in Botswana, on and off, for almost 10 years while working for a help organization. My cousins grew up there pretty much. I have never been there myself though and too bad that the HBO is not available here.;))

Have a great weekend.;))

xoxo
Z

Gal Friday said...

~sallymandy,
These girls aren't really too bad(well, the Best Friend has an older brother and likes to act all "cool")--my daughter is still pretty nerdy(like me)and sweet and will still laugh along to Car Talk when we drive around together, but does change e-v-e-r so slightly when with her peers.
I think we only have HBO for a limited amount of time(a bonus when we recently switched cable/phone providers), and I don't know how long for...hope at least until this series lasts. When searching for images of it, I noticed the words "BBC" and think it was broadcast earlier in Europe?(might be some DVDs out of it soon?)

~Dave. K.,
Welcome and glad you found my blogspot "intriguing". :-)

~Rosemary,
Oh yes--have your friend record the shows for you. As I already mentioned, we only have HBO as a promotional perk for a short time--and I *hope* it lasts through the show's run.

~Erin,
Oh, I know it could get worse--and these girls are actually pretty sweet, but I know I embarrass my kid often.
I am sure the show will show up on DVD in the near future for rental at Netflix...

~~Zuzana,
Oh me, too-- about the love for ELO and I always get a little thrill when a song comes on the radio by them.
How fascinating about your relatives living in Botswana for a time. The "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" books really brought that place alive for me(had never really thought about that place before I read them.)

thehobbit_uk said...

Gal Friday

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency started here in UK on 15 March so we've had 3 episodes so far. There was also a pilot episode sometime in 2008 but I missed it. I'm watching the current series though. Are you enjoying it?

Gal Friday said...

~Hey Kathryn(always a nice surprise to find your comment here),
I think that is what we watched--the two hour movie pilot(directed by the sadly recently deceased Anthony Minghella), and will from now on on every Sunday get a new episode to watch(so I'll be a little behind you as far as the shows go).
I really liked how it was done(the movie, that is...will have to see how the series continues)and found Jill Scott charming as Precious Ramotswe. It is also nice to watch this with my daughter.