Took a drive around the Matunuck area (close by my dentist's) earlier this week, looking for some photo opportunities and fresh baked bread. As you can see from the photos(and slideshow below), not much green and growing around here yet. A lot of stone walls, fields with rows of corn stalk stumps from last year's harvest, wild turkeys and Canada geese in the fields, a wildlife refuge and a general lonely look to the area. In summer, with the beach nearby and Theatre-By-The-Sea open, this place will be a little more populated-but not much more. It's a quiet kind of place.
Daddy's Bread has been baking up fresh, preservative-free bread and other baked goods for years and years. It is in a little weathered building on Moonstone Beach Road and they are open every day starting at 8am. Get there early for the best selection as by noon most of it is gone.The Honor System--alive and well in South County, Rhode Island.
I brought home a loaf of Apple Cinnamon and a loaf of 14-Grain, by the way.




12 comments:
Nice blog, and photos.I love 12 grain never heard of 14 grain but you learn something new everyday.LOL@ your about me.Funny!have a great rest of the weekend!
Oh I love that bakery. Yum. And what a cool system.
Also love the photos. We were watching TV Diner/Phantom Gourmet (NECN) this morning, and looking up a restaurant in your area. Looks like a fun place to meander around. My other half (and also ex) both went to Roger Williams - it's nice down that way.
Tina...you live in such a wonderful part of the world. Real old New England!!! Wonderful names, stone walls, and honor system bread. Have a great Sunday with your apple cinnamon toast.
Here all the bushes and trees have visible buds, buy no leaves yet. Apparently the spring is coming next week though.;))
I love fresh baked bread. We also have the honour system here. In the country side, many times you will find people leaving their fresh produce in boxes on the side of the road with a little container for money. You can get almost anything from fresh cut flowers to eggs and potatoes.;)
The slide show was very nice.;))
Hope you are having a great Sunday.;))
~Becky,
I don't know that there is a big difference between 12 and 14 grains in a bread..heh..heh...thanks for the visit and comment.
~~Only,
Actually,(and this is sad to admitt) Roger Williams College up in the Bristol area is considered too far away and we never go there. One of these days I am going to pack a suitcase (!) and take a day trip there(it is a very RI-thing to not travel any distance)
~~Rosemary
I am eating some of that bread right now, enjoying my rainy Sunday.
BTW, "Moonstone" Beach used to be a nudist beach but is closed now and is a refuge for piping plovers(which is a funny name that always makes me smile to say or write it).
~Ms. Z,
We have that, too--the tables set out with homegrown veggies and flowers--I cannot WAIT until the summer when that is a frequent site. :-) The landscape looks a little more green here today because of the rain...
my god, a bakery that works on the honour system- how very cool ( and unheard of) is that !!!
the photos are great- there is so much of this world i am finding through blogging xx
Oh My Goodness! I LOVE the bakery! It is so cute. Thanks for sharing that! I also wanted to tell you that I have given you an award my friend :)Stop by to get it :)
Tina - I totally get that. If I drive anywhere over an hour, I like to stay a while. I am looking you up on Facebook, but am having a hard time finding you - any clues? (that is, if you want to be found)
Wow, I'm so touched by that bakery. It's one of those great little stories that restores your faith in humanity. (Bet you didn't know you were doing that when you posted. Yay you!)
Great pics, as always! (I still haven't taken any worth posting, but I've been slowing down when I walk and that's good.) ;-)
The honor system would never fly in this city, but maybe in a town around here. Albertans are pretty honest.
I love the picture of the house. So old and rustic and filled with character. I LOVE old houses!!
~~Lisa,
I agree--I love discovering al the various views and viewpoints of bloggers around the world.
~~RoseAnn,
Another award? From you? Why...thnak you. I'll stop by your blog and see what's up when I return from work.(have some blog readin' to catch up on)
~~Only,
I think my settings on FB make it hard to find me...heh...heh...
Actually, I have been thinking of getting off of there(have all the phone numbers/e-mails I need for long-lost and then found school friends, anyway)but have heard it is almost impossible to delte your account there.
~~Judy,
I was thinking the photos were pretty horrible(technicaly, at least) but I had fun taking them. :-) That's good you have been s-l-o-w-i-n-g down, too.
~~Amanda,
I think most people are honest, in general. I AM a bit of an idealist, so maybe it is also wishful thinking..?
That bakery, which has been going since the 70's(back when the original "Daddy" began--now his daughter has taken over as baker/proprieter)would not still be open if the honor system didn't work for all those years. Sometimes, I notice "I.O.U.'s" written down in the book there--but I am sure the money is paid the next time.
Love the photos! Thanks for sharing. In my mind, looks like those country scenarios I read in Jane Austen's books :-)
The apricot-raisin bread sounded great. How did those you pick were? I bet delicious.
Post a Comment