Last night, on a whim (actually it was the insistence by R) we made the world's most un-Irish Soda bread recipe. First, we didn't have any buttermilk, so thought we could substitute sour cream instead. No raisins, either. And no caraway seeds, but that was just fine with me because those things are nasty and I wouldn't have added them anyway!Also, instead of shaping the thick dough into a lumpy roundish loaf like I had always been taught to do, we decided to use the mini bread pans that we never use.
It turned out all right. More cake-y and soft than the usual dry textured soda bread. Not bad this morning with my coffee and a little jam.
The photo above is a little fuzzy (okay, very fuzzy--guess I didn't have the flash on) and I can't take another now because we have already cut into the little loaves (R decided to hack into a still warm loaf last night and pretty much butchered it)
So that's all I am going to do for St. Patrick's Day. Whoo hoo....(hey, I'm not even Irish, although my husband is--there's German, French-Canadian, and Greek blood in me)
I am going to an annual potluck St. Paddy's Day dinner/party on Saturday so I'll get into it a little more then. By making and bringing a Chocolate Pudding Pie.(it's to die for and I'll try to do something "shamrocky" to it for the occasion)
I can't say I even like any traditional Irish foods, like corned beef and boiled cabbage and potatoes. Bleh. Bet they don't even eat that in Ireland anymore.
Now, Irish music, whether traditional or non-traditional -that I like! Martin Hayes, Hot House Flowers, Solas, John Doyle, Liz Carroll(Irish-American from Chicago), Manus Mcguire, Belle X1, Van Morrison.....
*some Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill*
14 comments:
Those "loafs" look delicious! P always talks about baking a "soda" bread - I think that sounds so funny, as "soda" means some sort of a soft drink, at least to me.;)
I love to bake and I often make muffins (cupcakes) that are also baked on the same principle.;))
And you got to love Irish music - great clip you posted.;))
Hope you are having a lovely St Patrick's Day.;))
xoxo
Z
Raising my coffee cup in a Happy St. Patrick's Day cheer to you!
Yes, Happy St. Paddy's day! I am not Irish at all. I tried to drink green beer once, but we were unable to get into an Irish pub...
The bread sounds yummy, though, and the Irish music is a favorite!!
Love your new header. Your artwork is so wonderful! Do want that chocolate pie recipe. Please don't put any green sprinkles on my slice. Happy St. Patrick's Day. ♥Rosemary
Modern Irish music... My boys have been listening to Flogging Molly lately. Always makes me want to Riverdance!
Yummy, I always love homemade, warm bread. I have not made any in a while, but I think I should. Happy St.Patricks Day to you :)
Tina, your new header is fab! I love your art style--the little we've seen of it. Her hats are delightful.
I have to think that even in Ireland there are people who hate nasty caraway seeds (as I do, too!). I make a whole wheat soda bread that's great; though haven't for a long time.
I don't know if you went back over to your question on my blog the other day, but I answered yes, the revelry in Butte is really crazy; and second, I'm glad you asked about my friend Leslie's art--I'm going to post some of it as soon as I can get her to give me some images.
Happy Wednesday...
~Thanks, Ms. Z!
We had a quiet St. Pat's, since it was a workday Tuesday(but the Irish bar at the top of the hill was packed all day long--their busiest day of the year).
~~Joanne,
Was their any Jameson's in that coffee? ;-)
~~Manders,
You probably didn't miss out on too much not being able to drink the "green" beer. I have never had it myself, but my guess is it is some cheap, lightweight beer they dye green. Not Irish at all.
~~Rosemary,
Hard not to notice the new header--couldn't figure out how to make it smaller! ;-) I'll get that recipe to you very soon(I tried the aspirin facial last night and my skin is so soft and glowing this morning)
~~Judy,
I don't know Flogging Molly's music(have only heard of the name)-will have to have a listen.
~~RoseAnn,
This bread is easy since there is no yeast and rising, since it quick rises with the baing soda.
~~Sallymander...
Thanks! The hat lady is just a teeny sketch I blew up(maybe too much, though).
So you hate caraway seeds, too. I never understood why they are traditionally added to an otherwise sweet(or sort of sweet) bread.
I DID see your reply over on your blog. It was the first I had ever heard of this wild tradition n Butte. I suppose if I were ever to travel that way, St. Pat's Day might be a good to time to be in Butte. :-)
>>>>I have always wanted to try encaustic painting so am very curious about your artistic landlady's work.
Thanks for the great video!!!:) I love Irish music!!!:) The bread looks delicious, can I have a piece?!;)
I bet it tasted delish... I wish I had something to accompany my coffee this morning - I'm awfully hungry and it isn't even noon here yet :s
~Vessie & Jack,
If there were some way to share it, I would. Funny, I just got home and am eating up the last two little slices.
I'd have eaten them right away too with loads of butter and coffee. Nothing better that eating sth out of the oven :)
looks pretty good to me- and i would certainly have added the caraway seeds
Next time try the Greek bougatsa.. or the Greek loaf. Much tastier in my opinion! Irish bread is simply ...blunt!
Post a Comment