
I should have known this was going to be a pretty good day when I liked what I saw in the mirror shortly after I got up. That doesn't usually happen!
I have had a cold for the last couple of days--a head cold with some chills and aches at night, being unable to breathe and sneezing my head off at the same time. So, I have not had a normal night's sleep for two nights in a row and have also been worn down and tired.
But, I was happily surprised when I finally dared to look in the bathroom mirror after I splashed cold water on my face this morning. I was expecting a puffy, red eyed hag, and yet...I looked okay. More than okay--I looked pretty darn good. Even my nose seemed to have lost that red color and my eyes looked almost back to normal. A small thing, but it made me feel like I could take on the whole world after that.
And good, reassuring things kept happening throughout the day.
R got up with no trouble, in spite of it being a dark and rainy morning, prancing into the kitchen in a cheerful mood(my kid is a normally sweet thing, but not a morning person at all ).
We swapped accessories this morning--I asked if I could wear a certain fun necklace of hers(above) because it went perfectly with the otherwise boring brown outfit I was wearing, and she wanted to borrow a certain scarf of mine. I just love that we now often share clothes and jewelery.
I walked the dog in the mist and just as I got back in the house with her, it started raining. Perfect timing!
Right after I opened the shop, a customer came in to pick up a framed print and she was ecstatic about how it turned out. A little praise and positive feedback is a good thing first thing in the morning on the job.
Then, about fifteen minutes after she left, a couple(they looked vaguely familiar, but everyone in this town does after a while, even if you can't remember their name) came in and said they found a checkbook right out on the step outside our door and showed me a fat checkbook(loaded with notes and cards), with a few raindrops on it. It turned out to be the checkbook of the happy customer who had just left!
I have had a cold for the last couple of days--a head cold with some chills and aches at night, being unable to breathe and sneezing my head off at the same time. So, I have not had a normal night's sleep for two nights in a row and have also been worn down and tired.
But, I was happily surprised when I finally dared to look in the bathroom mirror after I splashed cold water on my face this morning. I was expecting a puffy, red eyed hag, and yet...I looked okay. More than okay--I looked pretty darn good. Even my nose seemed to have lost that red color and my eyes looked almost back to normal. A small thing, but it made me feel like I could take on the whole world after that.
And good, reassuring things kept happening throughout the day.
R got up with no trouble, in spite of it being a dark and rainy morning, prancing into the kitchen in a cheerful mood(my kid is a normally sweet thing, but not a morning person at all ).
We swapped accessories this morning--I asked if I could wear a certain fun necklace of hers(above) because it went perfectly with the otherwise boring brown outfit I was wearing, and she wanted to borrow a certain scarf of mine. I just love that we now often share clothes and jewelery.
I walked the dog in the mist and just as I got back in the house with her, it started raining. Perfect timing!
Right after I opened the shop, a customer came in to pick up a framed print and she was ecstatic about how it turned out. A little praise and positive feedback is a good thing first thing in the morning on the job.
Then, about fifteen minutes after she left, a couple(they looked vaguely familiar, but everyone in this town does after a while, even if you can't remember their name) came in and said they found a checkbook right out on the step outside our door and showed me a fat checkbook(loaded with notes and cards), with a few raindrops on it. It turned out to be the checkbook of the happy customer who had just left!
If the wrong sort of person had spotted that checkbook lying there, it would likely have been gone, right? Instead, these were the decent kind of people who make you feel a little more reassured that most people are good and honest. I called the customer and left a message about her checkbook after thanking the two people who made sure they tried to find the owner of it.
The rest of the work day was easygoing--no annoying customers--not a one(unlike Monday, which made me want to scream). Then, when I got home, R was still in a happy mood and looking so cute--with my scarf tied around her neck loosely and it matched the turquoise blue of her Chuck Taylor sneakers exactly.
Now, she is off at a friend's house, getting ready for tonight's dance. She didn't go to one all year, but wanted to go to this one, so...it makes me wonder if there is a certain someone of the opposite gender??
At any rate, I am waiting for Mr. F to get home so we can go out for some dinner since it is suddenly just the two of us.
I just hope I didn't jinx myself by gloating about my good day--it ain't over yet.
The rest of the work day was easygoing--no annoying customers--not a one(unlike Monday, which made me want to scream). Then, when I got home, R was still in a happy mood and looking so cute--with my scarf tied around her neck loosely and it matched the turquoise blue of her Chuck Taylor sneakers exactly.
Now, she is off at a friend's house, getting ready for tonight's dance. She didn't go to one all year, but wanted to go to this one, so...it makes me wonder if there is a certain someone of the opposite gender??
At any rate, I am waiting for Mr. F to get home so we can go out for some dinner since it is suddenly just the two of us.
I just hope I didn't jinx myself by gloating about my good day--it ain't over yet.
And, yeah, I did see this and it is scary and depressing that this sort of thing seems to be happening more and more. And I do realise that it isn't such a good day for a lot of other people. Just appreciating what I have today, that's all.
9 comments:
Ack. The only way to survive in this world is to focus on the good stuff. The everyday details that make you smile all string together to help you have a good day.
Nice post. Hope your weekend is fun. Have a great yummy dinner.
We heard about Binghamton up here too. And some people think the world is getting better!
Like you, I try to enjoy the good times since there are way too many of the other kind! :-)
Glad you are feeling so good after a stuffy couple of days. Enjoy date night and the weekend. Enjoyed your long chatty post.
I hope you had a nice supper out. I am glad that you were having such a lovely day. It is good to focus on the positive instead of the negative.
Hi Tina,
I loved your post. Because the little daily things in a day are really what add up to be a life. Thanks for telling us about these little bright spots in your day.
I guess I'm focusing on your first paragraph and photo of your outfit, since I've been blogging about that this week. It strikes me that putting on some clothes that we like and feel good in is something we have control over every day, and I do believe, at least for myself, that I need to make those bright spots happen as much as possible. Because there is a lot of painful stuff over which we have no control.
Your outfit looked really nice, too.
I hope you had a wonderful date!
Ah, what a positive post! I too love to sometimes just "stop and smell the roses".;)
Seems like "your favourite day" became "your kind of day"!;)) It is funny how some days are just right from the start!
I LOVE that necklace! The colour and the design are just perfect!
I am wishing you a wonderful weekend, hope the lucky streak from your Friday will continue.;))
xoxo
Z
PS: what do you know, my verification word is "lights".;)))
Tina, You're spreading a little gratitude and happiness. Always a good thing. I'm feeling good vicariously. (This day is like the opposite of your Shamrock Shake day, right? So now on a Shamrock Shake day you can always say, "Yeah, well soon I'll have a Perfect Necklace day."
That is so great... one of those days when the universe just seems to be sending GOOD things and smiling!! :) I love it!! I hope you are well past your cold now... and I really can't imaging you ever looking awful anyway, head cold or not!! Glad you had such an uplifting day!
Thank you for putting a smile on my face today!!!:) Reading about your lovely day brightened mine as well!!!:)
Post a Comment