
"When I was young, we couldn't afford much. But, my library card was my key to the world." ~~ Actor John Goodman

"The day I discovered that one could go to the public library and take out books was one of the happiest of my life." ~~ Liz Smith
Starting today, it's National Library Week. You can read more about it here.
I kind of stumbled upon knowing about this holiday week(who knew?) a few weeks ago and it got me thinking about my own lifelong love for libraries and books. Wherever I have traveled or lived, I have always found my way to the library. It is usually one of the more beautiful buildings in any town. And I know how lucky I am to have always lived where there is free access to thousands of publications, periodicals, music, movies, etc.I have as an adult, often chosen to spend a beautifully sunny summer afternoon inside our town library, instead of on the beach which is a few blocks away from the library. So, yeah..I am a bookish Gal. A bookworm. A biblioholic. A Libra. And I think I can instantly like someone who also thinks of stepping into a public library as somewhat similar to the feeling you used to get on Christmas morning.
My first memory of the library was the one I went to as a child growing up in Augusta, Maine--the Lithgow Public Library, the grey stone building shown above.
I got a library card at age six and it felt like I had been given gold. I can still see vividly the children's room on the second floor where my Mother used to take my sister and I. To be able to choose any book I liked and as many as I wanted (I always came out of the library with a huge armful--I was so greedy) made me immensely happy. In fact, when I looked up the website and saw this image of this particular library, I got a little thrill seeing it again and was glad to know it looks exactly the same(set high on a hill) and is still the main library in my old home town.
It makes me remember all the Dr. Seuss books ("On Beyond Zebra", "If I Ran The Zoo"),
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle,
the teeny tiny green Beatrix Potter books,
and the books about the little ghost named Georgie I liked to check out back then.
This may sound strange, but I sometimes can almost recall the strong but not unpleasant odor of the glue in the binding of some of those books.
This is the Kingston Public library--one of many libraries in the area I live in. Since there are many small villages within a larger town, each little community has it's own library and with one card you can visit and borrow from all of them. I used to take my daughter to this one a lot when when she was little because the children's room was small but also cozy(with cushioned window seats) and nicely stocked with picture books. Like the Robert Bright "Georgie The Ghost" books!(that was one very good thing about reading books to my daughter--I got to rediscover all my own favorites from when I was younger)The Kingston Free Library was once the county court house; the Rhode Island General Assembly met there(alternating with the county seats in Newport and Providence) from 1754 until 1852. It got a face lift some time after that, losing it's Georgian/colonial look with the addition of a mansard style roof and tower. Author Jhumpa Lahiri worked here for a time when she was in high school.
This is another beautiful old library in the area--the Peace Dale library. This handsome stone building in the "Richardsonian Romanesque" style(very similar to my first library in Augusta, in fact) was built in 1891 in memory of Rowland Hazard II by his sons. It was designed by architect Frank W. Angell to house the village library which was founded in 1863. The interior of it it is beautiful, too, with high vaulted ceilings.
This is another beautiful old library in the area--the Peace Dale library. This handsome stone building in the "Richardsonian Romanesque" style(very similar to my first library in Augusta, in fact) was built in 1891 in memory of Rowland Hazard II by his sons. It was designed by architect Frank W. Angell to house the village library which was founded in 1863. The interior of it it is beautiful, too, with high vaulted ceilings.Not all the libraries I lost myself in as a child were in grand buildings such as these. When I first moved to Rhode Island I went to a small school in a very rural community that had a closet sized library--basically a tiny room lined with shelves. But I always seemed to find something in there.
"The Snow Queen". "The Red Fairy Book" "The Blue Fairy Book".
One book I remember discovering there and borrowing over and over was D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths . I now own that book. Well, I got it as a gift for R when she was learning about Greek mythology a few years ago in school, but I have to admit I really got it for myself. ;-)
*******
"It's funny that we think of libraries as quiet demure places where we are shushed by dusty, bun-balancing, bespectacled women. The truth is libraries are raucous clubhouses for free speech, controversy and community. Librarians have stood up to the Patriot Act, sat down with noisy toddlers and reached out to illiterate adults. Libraries can never be shushed."
-- Comedian and author Paula Poundstone
-- Comedian and author Paula Poundstone
14 comments:
It is a great tragedy that many people consider libraries to be irrelevant in this age of instant communication.
I love this post so much, Tina. I have always been the same way.
I've lived in a lot of places and always checked out the library within the first few days of a move.
I remember more than a few librarians questioning the books I took out too. Too mature for me, too many, too technical... whatever.
:-)
I love libraries so much.
Fabulous post. My library card in the most treasured thing in my wallet. Libraries are experiencing more popularity than ever before because of the recession. And that's a GOOD thing, isn't it?
What a wonderful tribute to libraries and the written word.
I had no idea about this holiday - celebration.
I have to admit it has been a while since I set my foot in any kind of library.
BUT - libraries were vital to me when I was a child. All the way back in Slovakia, where I would bribe my sister with potato chips (she LOVED those) to make her walk with me all the way to the public library every week. For me at that time, there was nothing better than reading.
And no to mention what libraries meant to me upon our emigration to Sweden, when I was a teenager. The multitude of books I borrowed helped me and aided greatly in the improvement of my Swedish language skills.
Thank you for this post that brougt sentimental memories back...
Tina, I loved this post - the pictures, your descriptions, the idea that you felt you library card was like gold. I felt (feel) that way too. What a great way to start my day. Thank you for posting.
~~Sandra,
I an only hope then, that the library is making a comeback, because mine is always packed--can't get a parking space in the lot, it is such a popular place lately.
~~Only,
Thank you...and no wonder I pretty much instantly liked you--you are a library person, too.
I got that a few times from the librarians, but always eneded up taking the book home anyway.
~~Rosemary,
Another library person..yay!
I think because people are wanting to save money now more than before that the library is a busy place again with all the books, DVD's and audio for free! Definitely a good thing.
~~Zuzana,
Thank you for telling me about your own experiences with public libraries--a different perspective, but still very similar to mine. Love of reading and the need in society for libraries crosses cultural and political boundries. :-)
~Judy,
And..another library gal! I am sure you were inspired by the books in your library since you are now a writer.
Great post dear! shhh... I think library is sexy...the smell of books, love!
We, too, are library people. (Although Jonathan says that is because we are cheap...) When we were kids growing up, my Dad would take us to many of the libraries we have in this city. We would spend hours picking out our books, looking for CDs, movies, etc. I loved it! I love books, too, which is why I took my Bachelor of Arts in English.
I would LOVE to go and explore those old libraries. Perhaps I should venture downtown to our oldest library soon. The kids would love the quaint little children's room....
I *loved* your post, thank you for making me remember how much I've always loved libraries!!!:) By the way, I also got my library card at the age of 6!!!:) I started reading when I was 5 and I just loved to accompany the other members of my family when they went to the library. Once I was there with my granny and while she was talking with one of the librarians, I started reading aloud something /don't remember what it was actually/. The librarian was pleasantly surprised that I could read at that age... So she offered to give me a library card even though I was under the age for that /I think one had to be at least 7 to get such a card/. I was so proud to be the youngest client of the library!!!:) Soon I became their most frequent and much appreciated visitor...:) And one of my most favourite games at home was called 'library', in which I, of course, played the role of the librarian!!!:)
I loved those photos. My fav. libraries are University libraries... I love the atmosphere of an old space and the smell of old books :)
I'm an avid reader and a real bookworm myself so I can relate only too well to your love for books and libraries. I couldn't wait to go to school so that I could learn to read! I also got my first library card at the age of six - that was from the school library. At the age of 9 I became a member of the British Council Library. I was very proud of myself as very few children can read in two languages at that age. My first English book was an adapted edition for young learners of English of Oliver Twist. That was when I fell in love with Charles Dickens and naturally I have read all his novels - my favourite being "Great Expectations". Just imagine! I read "Bleak House" twice. What saddens me is that the younger generation would rather spend most of their free time on the Internet than read books for pleasure. The Internet is no doubt an amazing tool of communication but it will never replace books and libraries.
~Lenore(never more),
You are right--the library IS sexy! ;-)
~Manders, Vessie, Jack and Anastasia,
Thank you so very much for writing about your own library experiences/feelings here.
those are gorgeous libraries. i could get lost in there for days. i love libraries, and maybe now that i'm not working i'll spend more time in ours. it isn't as grand as the ones in your pictures, but libraries are comforting and full of promise.
As you know I love books and I still do have fond memories of the libraries of my youth.... I am no member of a library at the moment, because my problem right now is I'm too slow to read my books before the dealine ;-) because I have so many things I want and need to do right now and I always get fines because of that. So I had to stop my membership. But I will always have a soft spot for libraries :-)).
X
Post a Comment