Saturday, April 18, 2009

A taste of summer

It was 70*F today, very warm and "ewe-mid"(that's humid in an R.I. accent). This is the warmest it has been so far this spring and I like it! Even though the skies kept threatening rain, it never happened. Which was a good thing because we were biking out on the bike path ( a little about the path here) at one point this afternoon and would have gotten drenched. We biked half of the path--doing four miles. We stopped at the swamp and rested for a short while. Spotted a turtle and a lone Canada goose--it's mate most likely sitting on some eggs. There was a hawk gliding overhead, and a red-winged blackbird sitting on one of those spooky dead tree stumps sticking out of the water, singing it's blackbird song. In the summer, this path is leafy and green--always cool under the arching canopy of the tree branches. While the trees are just beginning to bud and there wasn't any of that leafy green yet, there was the usual bird song you hear every time you bike here. It's a lovely ride--flat(no hills--I hate hills when biking 'cause I am so lazy), woodsy and breezy. We ended up at the train station, had a drink inside and then R wanted to wait for the train that was due (coming from the north, going to New Haven and then New York). That reminded me so much of when she was little and I didn't know what to do on a cold winter day and we would go down to this station to watch the train come rolling in. I just didn't think she would care about that, still(and she has been on trains, since). It was looking like it was going to pour(maybe even a thunder storm), so J and I wanted to get going, so we had to convince her we had to move on. As we rounded the corner of the station and were back on our bikes, I spotted two chickens in the grass. They seemed oblivious to the activity around them--travelers with suitcases, families on bikes, and kept pecking away. They must wander over from a house nearby. It is still feeling almost like summer, especially with the Sox game on in the other room.


12 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i really love your posts, makes me feel like i've BEEN somewhere, reading about a little slice of life in rhode island. and your pictures are always so beautiful, even the chickens : )

cheatymoon said...

OOhhhh, it wasn't that warm here. Love your bike path. We have some cool paths in our city too (as you may know). We walked around Back Cove tonight. In layers against the wind.

Love this post and love the photos, just like Creative says above. Have a lovely night!

Clare said...

What a cheery post! I have never been to Rhode Island. I need to get there. Hey, notice that you have a R. too!

The Social Frog said...

Beautiful pictures, as always! Sounds like you have had a nice weekend thus far :) It looked like we were going to get some rain this evening, but it just turned out to be a cloudy evening, then it cleared while we were at a Baseball game.

Content in a Cottage said...

It was a bit humid here too. I would be so excited to have a chicken spotting. Great shots of your fabulous day. Hope Sunday is equally enjoyable for you!!!!!

j said...

It is to be in the upper 80s here today. I'm about to go out and soak up all the sunshine humanly possible. That's my goal for today!

It is absolutely beautiful where you live. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Awww, a Rhode Island Canada Goose!! :) And some chickens!! Sounds like a lovely day... your description made me feel like I was there too!! We've had our 70 degree weather the past couple of days too... now these temps are just about perfect for me... with a slight breeze... ahh. But tomorrow, rainy and 40's ?? Ahh well. ;)

Kim said...

It seems like you all had a great day. I love how you described it all. It made me feel as though I was there with you.

sallymandy said...

I agree with creative kerfuffle. I feel like I've been somewhere, too. And maybe because where you live looks similar to where I live (minus the ocean), it feels close. Thanks for these photos and writing about your day. I really enjoyed it.

Zuzana said...

I am happy you got to enjoy a very summerly spring day.;)) Lovely photographs, gives me a feeling of how your surroundings might look like.;)
Here we have had something like a 100 year record warm and sunny April, it has pretty much been sunny non stop since the beginning of the month. I hope this is a preview of how the summer will be this year, as the nature is something like 5 weeks ahead.;))

cessie said...

it's funny isn't it...they forecasted two rainy weekends in a row but also here it did not happen!! Of course I'm really happy about that!
It *is* feeling like summer and your photos do show it! I so love this time of the year when the weather is so full of promise!

Gal Friday said...

A BIG thank you to everyone who commented and liked my photos/description of our little bike ride.
And Clare...my "R" is a Rachel. Is yours a Rachel..or a Rebecca..or..a...Ramona..or ....?