Thursday, April 16, 2009

Half and Half Day

Today started out as a sparkly day, and my mood was good. I had a little extra time before work to stop at the seawall to take these photos...and video(the beach, complete with a couple of surfers--blink, and you'll miss them!). My first attempt at saving a video and trying to put it up here--inspired by Protege who often has a nice, slice of life video on her blog. You might want to consider turning the sound down, though, since all you can hear is the wind in my camera's tiny microphone, and not the surf...unfortunately.
Maybe next time, I'll try to get a close-up of the osprey in the nest I pass every day.

Then...I had to deal with people.
Ever have one of those days where you just wish the rest of the human race would disappear for an hour or so? I had one of those days, but couldn't run away and be a hermit since I was at work and had to wear my "May I help you?" hat and and deal with customer after customer who would come in with cracked,falling apart frames--some made out of that cheap resin plastic (Walmart frames, I call 'em) and acting all indignant when told we couldn't(wouldn't) repair them for them. No sorry, but we are are a custom frame shop, after all. We make frames. It is a business and that is how we make our money. We'll help you design an amazing framed picture for your home. We'll take apart a moldy picture you already have in a frame and try to clean it up, maybe with a new mat and acid free materials and try to restore the art.
But, we don't use super glue and rubber bands and fiddle around fixing what is already broke.

Now, I understand wanting to try to fix something, to save money and be ecologically sound-- trying to reuse something. But, I can't understand why these people(and it is at least a few every week--I get all super cranky about this reoccurring problem on a day like today when it is nearly everyone who came in here) don't do this stuff at home themselves.

I really wish today were Friday.


10 comments:

Jack said...

Oh dear, sorry your day was blah. It really does take a special person with a warm personality to deal with customers day in and out... good on ya!

Loved the beach photos! Maybe I'll take a ride to my beach this weekend for some shots... Thanks for the inspiration :)

SandraG said...

Wish I lived closer to the ocean. You're pictures are amazing even if the rest of your day didn't measure up!

The Social Frog said...

Hello Tina!
Beautiful pictures of the ocean. We were supposed to go to St.Augustine beach this week but the weather has been a bit off. One day it was rainy & chilly, the next few days were sunny but to chilly to swim, so we did not go. Now hubbys leave ends tomorrow and he is back to work in the early afternoon :( We had a great 2 weeks together! How are you?

Arty said...

Lovely video Tina, hope to have more glimpses of Rhode Island :)
But an hour or so? How bout a day or so better? Lol. I know how you feel and it's harder when you're living in a smaller community where everyone is familiar with everyone.
Enjoy your Friday :)

Claus said...

Uhh some "live moments" from RI! :-) It is a great idea indeed, and what a wonderful view. So lucky you are close to the ocean! I still have to figure how to download the quick videos from my not-so-sophisticated camera. Will make some attempts these days. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Awww Tina... what a day. Well it was half good (beautiful pictures you took!!!), and hopefully your Friday was better, and now it's the weekend!!! Dealing with the public can get to ya... I know!!! Oh, there are absolutely times when I just want the world to go away and leave me alone... LOL... but I too must be in the "May I help you" mode at work. And I don't mind helping... but there are those who won't accept what you cannot do for them... LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh, there are the surfers... cool!! So nice to see the waves coming in... beautiful video!!

Clare said...

Ah, the joys of customer service. It is my job too. It is tough! I love what you do. We are in the process of having all of our old family photographs touched up, put down on proper matt paper and framed for us. Expensive, but worth it. We tried to do it ourselves by buying frames from antique stores and attempting to cut and fit. Nightamare. Your beach photos made me smile and take in a nice deep breath. Thanks

Zuzana said...

LOVE the video clip! I love to see the ocean and clearly, this was beautiful. The sea here is very similar. I am happy I inspired you to post this.;) And I know what you mean about the sound - every time I post something from my garden, it sounds as if I live on an airport runway.:P:P
However, in this clip you posted, the sound of the wind and ocean only added to the allure.;)
Ah, and I so understand your frustration with people, I think that would bother me too at times.;)))

cessie said...

Your photos make me wanna go to the sea/ocean!!
I know that frustration of dealing with customers who want the impossible. It can make me very dissatisfied too. I always try to forget it quickly and not to let ruin my mood through it (it's not easy though!) After all it's their frustration and life is too short to feed it from our insides...