Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Ten On Tuesday



Playing along with Ten on Tuesday again.
I will eat most foods, and don't consider myself too picky of an eater, but for as long as I can remember, I have never liked eggs(other than a very dryly cooked omelet or added into batter for baked foods) and most cheeses(only the mildest of mozzarella, Cabot Monterey Jack and cheddar, real Parmigiano-Reggiano, and the lightest schmeer of cream cheese for me, please).
There are very few vegetables I won't eat, and while not very fond of some meats and flavors, I could still eat them without feeling sick, unlike the following foods:
My list of ten least liked foods.
These are the foods that I can't even physically get down my throat, truly despise the taste(and smell)of or sometimes can't even look at(to me, there is nothing more gory than a sunny-side egg being pierced by someone's fork and I literally have to look the other way or better yet, move away).
1) Fried eggs
2) Soft-boiled eggs
3) Hard boiled eggs
4) Pickled herring
5) Romano cheese
6) Gorgonzola cheese
7) Blue cheese
8) Sauerkraut
9) Beets
10) licorice
Let's make it 15 least-liked foods, shall we?
11.vinegar on french fries (or chips)
12.most other cheeses
13.poached eggs
14.caraway seeds
15.okra
Mostly, smell and to some degree, texture is the issue for me not being able to like a food, as it must be for everyone else. A personal thing. I know people who can't stand the feel of peach fuzz, so won't eat one(which seems crazy to me, since I love the taste and feel of a peach).
Personally, I can't abide the smell of vinegar(so go easy on using mayonnaise, even), smelly cheeses and eggs in general. If there is a Hell and that is where I end up, I know that I'll be forced to eat everything on the "eggs/smelly cheese/pickled products/beets and okra dusted with caraway seeds" buffet table...so I better clean up my act and behave!

15 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Are you going to dye and decorate any Easter eggs? Did you draw that face in the egg carton. It's so cute?

Teena in Toronto said...

Blue cheese is on my list too!

I played too :)

Anonymous said...

You had so many that I forgot! Sauerkraut and beets being way at the top of my list.

cheatymoon said...

If I were to make this list, it would include everything you listed, except for the cheeses.
I am an extremely picky eater, cannot abide any eggs (unless in bakery items), yet have not ever met a cheese I did not like.
I agree on the textural issues, lol, and my number one would be the same as yours - I would have to look the other way.
Fun post, Tina.

Kim said...

I too thought of what Content in a Cottage asked. Are you going to dye Easter eggs?

Mine's up....come on over!

Joanne said...

I'm one of those peach people, I have to peel the skin off before I eat it!

Arty said...

Oh boy, and I'm boiling eggs now for breakfast :)

Zuzana said...

Ah Tina, I LOVE eggs.;)) In any form, even raw. Of course, I will not eat raw egg white though.;)) What about the egg white that is whipped and put into oven; I am not sure what that is called in English; it is often used on cakes. Do you like that?

I even love to put raw egg yolk on the pasta; in fact that is pasta carbonara, my favorite type.;))
I hate to admit this, but I love all what you listed that you hate. Except okra, I do not know what that is.

For some reason, I am a vacuum cleaner when it comes to food. I will eat anything, I do not think there is anything I do not like. I have even been know to eat moldy and rotten food (by mistake, but I did not discover it, until others told me). Yup, disgusting but true.

Hmm, I wonder if I revealed a bit too much strange info about me here now.:P:P
Hehe.:P

Gal Friday said...

~Rosemary,
I have to admit to not being one for dying eggs, usually and Easter has crept up on me this year and I don't even have any decorations up.
I celebrate the Orthodox Easter, anyway, which is a week later this year. So....I will make some Greek Easter bread next week and most likely my mother(who returns from a trip in a few days) will dye the red eggs.
And..I can't take credit for the cute expression drawn on the egg--I found it at the Stockxchange free image site.

~Teena,
I already checked out your list--I see we both don't care for lima beans, either, the giant mushy things!

~byrning bunny,
Thanks for the visit. I am just thankful I have not "encountered" a cooked beet or sauerkraut in years..!

~Erin,
I know I am weird about cheese--it seems to be such a well-loved food for almost everyone else(I take after my father in not liking cheese or vinegary foods-can food tastes be inherited?)

~Kim,
No...sorry to say I don't think I'll get around to dying eggs--don't usually do that. Sad--my daughter was always stuck with plastic eggs at Easter...

~Joanne,
Aha! one of THSE people, are you? ;-)
Well, at least you can still handle the peach and eat it after peeling it.

~ Well, Arty...
.. That is a good breakfast you are makng. My daughter actually LOVES eggs and I don't make them for her often for obvious reason. Now, she has learned to make her own--even toad-in-the-hole.

Protege,
You don't want to know what "okra" is!! Ha..ha!!
That is a GREAT thing that you are able to enjoy most foods, actually. But, boy! are we complete opposites when to comes to eggs!




~

Unknown said...

the picture is very cute! funny post and thanks for sharing. :-)

I can't think of anything I don't like right now. Hmmmmmm.... must be something I haven't tasted yet!! lol

sallymandy said...

You listed every food on my icky food list plus a few. I wonder if there are clumps of tastes that people don't like together.

I shudder at the thought.

Cynthia L. H. said...

Awwwwwwwwww! Visit Oklahoma and I'll make my mom's version of fried okra....It's amazing! Just a bit of cornmeal, just a bit of flour, a pinch of salt, lightly fried until golden!!!! AND NO SLIME!!!!
I promise you, I'm a vegetarian who tries to eat healthy most of the time, but this FRIED food is a must to try at least once in your life! (Mom uses Canola oil and it is not deep-fried.)
I can tell....I've converted you. :^)

Gal Friday said...

~Doreen,
NOTHING you don't like?! That's quite amazing--you and Protege must have the same kind of taste buds. :-)

~Barbara,
I am quite surprised to learn you have pretty much the same food aversions..wow!

~Cynthia,
No slime on the okra? I wouldn't think that was possible but from the way you described it, I think I would like to try that Oklahoma okra dish one day..!
I don't eat it often, but I agree...some fried food every once in a while is necessary(like fried clams and fish and chips..yum!)

Cynthia L. H. said...

Yay! An okra convert! :^)
If you're anywhere in the Southern world, don't just go for ANY old fried-okra that's on the menu. It has to be made from scratch, like I suggested. There's a deep-fried version that is all breaded and not so great....unless you just smother it in Ranch Dip. (Or as they say here: Rainch Deeup.) :^0 (I don't know how you can make two syllables out of "Ranch", but trust me, it's possible... I hear it every day) :^) ;^) ;^)
Anyhoo, if you need any more okra advice, just give a holler (more Southern drawl slang... just thought you might need another laugh!)
C ;^)

Claus said...

No eggs for me either!! in any form. Yuck (sorry for those that do like them). No meat for me either. Yuck that too. And no brussel sprouts, or eggplant. Apart from those, I love veggies A LOT, and fruit, and cheese...sorry, but I do :-)