5 cool things about my town.....
1. We have our own beer (even though, personally, I think it tastes like crap. I should make an ammendment to that statement. It is not entirely awful. Just your typical wimpy American style lager. Nothing special).
2. You can drive under the arch of this building. Or you can dance above the "arch" in the ballroom.The Narragansett Towers
Grand, sprawling summer hotels were built in the town. The grandest was the Narragansett Casino, designed by Stanford White. But as with most of the grand summer hotels—which were built of wood—the Casino was destroyed by fire in 1900. Only its grand towered archway entrance, built of stone, remains.
The stone towers and arch have become a landmark and symbol for the town.
3. Clams Casino was "invented" here.Clams Casino were created in 1917 by German-born Julius Keller, maitre d’ at The Casino on Narragansett Pier, in coastal Rhode Island. During the period, shoreline casinos were basically clubs and ballrooms, not gaming parlors. Narragansett challenged Newport as a fashionable summertime resort. It appears that a reigning socialite, Mrs. Paran Stevens, wanted something unique for a luncheon she had booked at The Casino; Mr. Keller obliged.
4. one of the best (year round) surfing locations on the east coast of USA.
5. the town library has a Pez candy dispenser collection(on display directly behind the circulation desk and still growing). I'll try in the next few days to get a newer photo (and a larger one) of the current collection--it takes up even more shelving now.
13 comments:
Such a neat list! I love the arch. Such historical sites are always very interesting to me. The clams casino is a great story, and though I did not know what a Pez Dispenser was (I do now; googled it :-) ), it is so unique that such collection exists in the town library. What a great place Narragansett is.
Love the Pez dispenser display and the wonderful arch way... I love anything made of stone, it seems!!
I like all he five things about your town.;)
I always think it is exciting with local beer; the town where I live have a large local brewery and about hundreds microbreweries; one of them is a restaurant-bar and you can see the brewery in its basement.;)
The arch is so interesting and of course the Pez collection is really cool; I remember the dispensers and how I use to fight over them with my sister as a child. As of course to us these were special and rare.;)
Oooooh, cool fun facts. I so want to visit there (again).
My ex went to Roger Williams and I haven't been in that area since (mid eighties...)
One day I will need to travel your west coast and see RI with my own eyes. It really looks like a cool place :-). The arch looks interesting and I like it that you can even dance in it hehe.
And food is *always* interesting!!
Oh I forgot...I *love* your photo!!
very cool list! that arch is beautiful. i love stone structures and that one is fabulous. i like pez dispensers, but really, the candy itself is kinda nasty : )
That looks like a very beautiful town, rich in historical facts. Perfect for the visitor.
Yep, this place is pretty cool, although it has it's drawbacks just like any place(gets crowded in the summer, lack of affordable housing), but the pros far outweigh the cons.
For the record, I don't surf myself(prefer to visit the town library), and like to go to the beach in the off-season or after the crowds have left in the late afternoon.
~c.k.,
I agree about Pez candy--it reminds me of those St. Joseph's baby aspirins.
~Erin,
I have heard many good things about Roger Williams College, althoug I never even get up that way(Bristol?) and wouldn't even know how to get to it.
Wow, Tina.... love the pics, especially those towers!!! Everything I've heard about your town over the years sounds simply charming.... what a wonderful place to live!!
I'm not a big fan of beer, though I did have some in my younger days... you can develop a "taste" for it I guess. It's not too bad with a pizza. :)
Amazingly I've never had clams casino either. I think I've been living under a rock!!!
Good old Pez dispensers... hehe... so cool that someone has a collection of them!!
shit deb, they are cool things !
Since I have not travelled much within the USA I loved this post because I feel like I have visited a neat part of the East Coast. I am now off to google all about your town.
I had forgotten all about Pez.
Very cool list :) I love Pez candy,lol.
Post a Comment