Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"The Phoenix"


I couldn't resist visiting the Phoenix today on my lunch break.
It was on my mind after I wrote about it in yesterday's blog. I took some photos and asked if the cat who used to march in the open door and hang around in the shop (and rub up against your legs and purr while you shopped) was still around, but I was told they hadn't seen him in a while. I hope he is alright.
I didn't buy anything, though. This time.

By the sidewalk there with the cracks in it
With the Mexican restauraunt next to it
With the clothes for the big and the fat in it
And the moth-ball smell to the hats in it
Is the lonely little thrift store
The hard luck little thrift store..... where I go
*****
Well its an old store front from the 30's
And it gives you a feel of the old days
And the next door barber shop
Where famous athletes used to stop
But now this neighborhood is down
And there's garbage on the ground
By the lonely little thrift store
The hard luck little thrift store ....where I go
Well alright
***
Well the avocado green appliances
With the smell of domestic violences
And the dusty Farberware
And the rusty dinette chair
In the lonely little thrift store
The hard luck little thrift store ....where I go
*****
The record by the One Hundred Strings
And other lonely little things
See how that popcorn popper looks sad
'Cause of the short little life it's had
Once it was a happy wedding gift
But when they split it too got left
In the lonely little thrift store
The hard luck little thrift store .....where I go

~~~~~"The Lonely Little Thrift Store" ~ Jonathan Richman

11 comments:

cheatymoon said...

hmmm, may have lost a comment here.

cheatymoon said...

nice photos - maybe I will meander down that way this summer.

Gal Friday said...

Erin,
If you DO meander this way, you will have to let me know...!

Jack said...

What a great little shop! I think I could do some treasure hunting there :)

Fun! Thanks for posting these photos. Thrift stores would make one great photo project.

Mary-Laure said...

That place looks really great, lots of good stuff...

The Social Frog said...

Looks like a fun little place :)

Unknown said...

i love that shop and all the other ones like it

Zuzana said...

Ah, this is SO MY KIND of store!;))
Would so love to visit it with you.;) The pictures speaks more than a thousand words.
And now when I finally remember to ask - did you draw that elegant ladycat in your profile picture?;)
xo
Z

j said...

Tina, I want to live in this blog post!

Shirl said...

What a great little store and I love those lyrics ... :0)

Thanks for dropping by.

Shirl x

vdesheva said...

Loved the pictures and the poem!!!:)