** Even though I don't have much of a commute to work--ten minutes either way if I don't get stuck behind any school buses-- and in less than two weeks I won't have to worry about those for a few months, and try to combine errands so I don't keep driving back and forth to town, I still feel like I spend a good portion of my waking life behind the steering wheel of my car.
I usually enjoy the ride, with the tunes playing loud(most of the time) like my current fave Cage The Elephant and now that it's summer, I have Bob Marley's "Lively Up Yourself" downloaded onto my MP3 player(have one of those devices that plug into the car's lighter so it plays out of the stereo).
**I also love gazing at the changing scenery as I drive by--maybe spotting a turkey trotting across the road,
an osprey in it's nest(there are a couple of osprey nests up on poles along the route in to town),
the wildflowers alongside the road(June is the month of wildflowers, I think!),
the man I see sometimes with the purple(!) walking stick,
the joggers,
the dog walkers,
that one particular El Camino that is parked in the beach lot most mornings
and the beach goers (can almost smell the coconut oil when I see them).
**One thing I notice , too, is bumper stickers on cars.
Actually, not too many people seem to put them on their cars as much as I remember(aside from the magnetic "ribbon" ones and the Obama/Biden '08 ones)--I get the feeling that most people like to keep their cars looking as new as possible and maybe a bumper sticker is too much of a commitment (I kind of think those magnetic ones are a cop out). So whenever I see a bumper sticker --a REAL one--on a car, I take notice(kind of hard not to when you are directly behind, so I guess they do the intended job). The other day, when I was in the car with R, she told me to hurry up and catch up with a car that had at least 15 to twenty stickers all over the back, so she could read them all.
For for someone like me with an older, no longer new and shiny , beige Ford Escort, bumper stickers are one way to give my set of wheels a little more personality. (And lately, my car never looks bright and clean for long because where I park at home, it sits directly under a certain tree that covers it with pollen and these little seedling thingies,
and the birds who sit in the tree also like to poop on my car. I can wash my car, and the next day it'll be covered all over again. I just can't win).
** I have my Guster sticker, my Boston Red Sox "B"(both of these have faded, so I need to replace those), my "Local" sticker ( to let the other locals know that I am not an outsider during the summer tourist season) and also my Salvador Dali bumper sticker(purchased a few years ago at the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida and still as vibrantly yellow as the day I slapped it on).
Today was a great bumper sticker-spotting day, for some reason. I had the pleasure of noticing three good bumper stickers in my travels:
* My boss is a Jewish Carpenter
Best Jesus sticker I have seen in a while, especially since all I usually see are those W.W.J.D.? and Fish symbol stickers.
* Hurricane Ellie in big letters.
This one looked homemade. Was the driver of the big SUV named Ellie and why was she a Hurricane? I'm still thinking about it.....
* I Miss Jerry
At first I thought this was about missing Seinfeld , and only later when I got home and wrote it down did I realise it was probably a Deadhead driving that truck. Duh...
Here are some other favorite bumper stickers I have spotted in the past:
*Your Hummer Is A Bummer
* Dyslexics of the World, Untie!*
*Visualise Whirled Peas*
*Dog is my co-pilot* ( I really need to get one of these someday)
*What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?*
Seen any good bumper stickers, lately????
9 comments:
Bumper stickers are always interesting, but true you just don't see them so much anymore, except for those ribbon magnets or political stickers, like you said. I do have one real sticker on my old car that says "Give Wildlife A Brake" ... an issue close to my heart. Hubby has a couple... an Obama/Biden sticker and one that says "No Farms No Food".
I have the same problem you have with my car being covered in pollen and bird do... what can you do when you part under trees and have bird feeders though?! :) It seems like people these days are VERY into keeping their cars clean, I agree.... seems like everyone else looks like they go through a car wash every day.... except for me... LOL.
I have seen some great stickers over the years though, but darned if I can remember what they said at the moment... ugh, memory is just shot!! I still know of one that really gets me angry and upset.... "Lost Your Cat? Look Under My Wheels". Grrrrr. What kind of horrible person is that! Sick!!
i love the hokey pokey one : ) i haven't had a REAL bumper sticker on my car since college--and then i had one from my alma mater and another that said i heart penguins : ) now i have a cop-out magnetic of the kids elementary school.
now i'll be on the lookout for other cool bumper stickers : )
Sherrie,
I don't like those mean-spirited stickers, either--I know what you mean about those! And, BTW, I have an Obama sticker, too
c.k.,
C'mon...you know you wanna stick a nice, non-removable sticker on your car--Just Do It! ;-) Seriously, you must have a nice, newish car--I have never had a car younger than ten years. So...it is easier to slap something like a bumper sticker(like a Band-aid_ on it. I wonder if I would be the same way if my car was shiny new)I might stick with the magnets, too. Actually, I DID have one Red Sox magnet that got whooshed away at the car wash this winter...)
I used to have a clean car w/ no stickahs, now I'm ok with a few (Stewart/Colbert '08, and also an Obama one. I also have a Coexist sticker.) I can't stand mean spirited ones though- and i'm with you - love reading other cars.
Right now, the only sticker I have on my car is actually in the rear window (it's a window cling-type) and it says "100 years of Scouting" for the 2010 Centennial of Boy Scouting. I have a Celtic bumper sticker that I want to put on the car, but the hubby is a bit fussy and really doesn't want me to decorate it. I've been toying with the idea of just doing it, but I'm still waffling.
I like the "dog is my co-pilot" one, would be a special one for you.
Here it's not very common to have bumper stickers. I do see Obama/Biden ones here from time to time though haha. And loads of fish stickers. We used to see a lot of "my other car is a ..." stickers but I *think* they are American as well.
From time to time I do see "I brake for animals" or "I brake for nice women" or lame ones like that.
I never see the real creative ones here!
I love that Jesus one, too. I have seen it around before and have thought it is the only way to go, as far as Christian bumper stickers are concerned.
My Dad would NEVER let us put on bumper stickers. So, I never really got into it. My hubby doesn't want us to sticker our car, either. It is very sad. Bumper stickers are a lost art...
Hmmm...reading more of your comments has me thinking that there are two kinds of people(who drive cars) in this world.
Those that stick and those that don't. :-) I am definitely a "sticker".
One of my favorites is: If your going to ride my ass, At least pull my hair! Every time I see that I laugh. How are you, have not heard from you in forever!
Post a Comment