Sunday, June 7, 2009

Summer Sunday Salad

Even though, according to the calendar it isn't really summer yet (not yet June 21), the fact that last night J and I sat outside by the outdoor fire, sipping Chardonnay and listening to the crickets (and had the doors and windows wide open so we could hear Billie Holiday, Al Green and Jamie Cullum tunes from the living room stereo speakers), and the fact that I made my black bean salad for the first time this past week, it certainly is feeling a lot like summer.
I love summer meals--so light and healthy, full of fresh ingredients like tomatoes and sweet red peppers, eaten outside.
This black bean salad recipe is a favorite. It can be doubled easily, and ingredients can be added or omitted. The lime juice dressing can be altered to taste, as well(adding cilantro or cumin for a more Southwestern flavor).

**************************************

Black Bean Salad

· 1 (19 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained (or 1 1/2 cup of freshly cooked black beans)
· 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or 1 15 oz. can of corn, or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled)
· 1 ripe avacado peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
· 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
· 1 small red pepper, seeded, and diced


* 2 cups tortilla chips, broken into medium to large size pieces

· 1/4 lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime)
· 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 to 2 teaspoons hot red pepper sauce(Tabasco or hot sauce of your choosing)
· Salt and pepper to taste


Directions
1. Combine beans, diced tomatoes, peppers, drained corn kernels and sliced avacado in a medium sized bowl.
2. To make dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together lime juice olive oil hot sauce, salt and pepper. Toss 1/4 cup of the dressing with the bean mixture and the broken tortilla chips.

3. Reserve rest of dressing to add at table if more is needed.

Also, this salad can be arranged on some fresh lettuce leaves and greens, with some grilled chicken slices added, for a nice summery meal (the extra dressing drizzled on the chicken is delicious)


12 comments:

Zuzana said...

Mm, that looks delicious! I love the way you describe your evening, sounds like a true summer one to me.;))
I hope there will be plenty of sunshine for you in the next coming weeks.;))
xoxo
Z

cessie said...

I so love nights like that :-)).
It's funny I was enlarging the photo to see what was in the salad before I scrolled down and noticed the recipe haha. Looks delicious. Will definitely try it in the coming time. I love making salads when I'm having a 'single dinner' lol. And I love black beans!!

creative kerfuffle said...

great pic and it sounds like a lovely evening. i might have to try that recipe : )

Unknown said...

that looks divine-but what are black beans, and how do i find them- do they have another name i might know them by ?

Anastasia Marou said...

That salad of yours looks divine! And it's just a great option for dinner outside.Besides, it's easy to make and I'll certainly try it some time later this month when I finish with marking and final reports. My summer salad consists of aubergines, zuchini or marrows, green, red, yellow and orange peppers, onions and raisins. I'll be posting the recipe soon. I didn't go anywhere on our long 3-day weekend as I had piles of marking to finish and also because of the euro elections. Cyprus voted on Saturday. I guess I'll have to wait till the end of the month to really enjoy the beach! *sigh*. It's already got 30*C over here.

Claus said...

Sounds delicious!! very fresh, very tasty, very summery!! I have printed it, and will try it next weekend. Thanks Gal Friday!

4streegrrl said...

I have used your salad many times for potlucks, so it is a keeper. :)

I made a big bowl "sushi salad" last night to feed me for a few days. Looking forward to it tonight, not necessarily outside because the mosquitos are out in full force now. :(

j said...

you're back (and bringing culinary gifts). yay!

vdesheva said...

The salad looks delicious and easy to make /even for a total culinary klutz as myself/, thanks for sharing, Tina!!!:)

Arty said...

I don't know but this would go nicely with chunks of tuna too with or without some of the ingredients already in it :)

cessie said...

Finally found the black beans (it's not easily available here ;-). So will prepare it in the coming week! Will let you know. Thanks again!
X

Gal Friday said...

cessie,
If they weren't so heavy, I would send you some cans, Marcelle.
I'm glad you were able to find the beans--and hope you'll like the flavors of the salad. :-)
Hmm...now you have given me an idea of what to make this weekend.