These giant lily pads and flowers I photographed alongside the road yesterday sum up the hot, lush and nearly tropical feel of the climate we have been experiencing around here for the last two weeks. Yes, it has still been just too darn hot for blogging (and other things..wink, wink, nudge, nudge...). There isn't any air conditioning in the room this computer is in, and with the stifling air, even a fan doesn't offer any relief.Besides, this kind of weather makes me feel lethargic and uninspired to write or even communicate.
I have been taking it easy--drinking lots of iced tea, reading(found a used copy of George Bernard Shaw's play "Pygmalion"--the basis for the musical "My Fair Lady" and would sit in the shady part of our yard and read that when I got home last week), actually writing some snail mail letters, taking lots of cool showers and spritzing myself with light colognes out of the fridge. A lady still has to smell nice even in the most sweltering of conditions, right? ;-)
But...right near where the lily pond was, I saw some red leaves vining up along a maple tree. An indicator fof the fast approaching cooler fall days ahead and some regular entries here from me.
9 comments:
Welcome back Tina! And please, send us some of that heat.;))
You know, I remember how warm August still was when I lived in NC. September was often summer like too. It was first in October that the foliage started to changed and autumn became apparent...
Your pictures are magnificent, beautiful lilies, my favorite flowers.
And yes, I am laughing at the third picture.:D There is no stopping time, right?;))
Have a lovely Sunday and stay cool.;))
xoxo
My photos don't even show just how giagantic in size the flowers were--wish I could convey that better.
I thought it so funny and
coincidental that we BOTH showed some colored leaves in our blog today.
Lovely pictures. It has been extremely humid here with some nasty weather in S. Ontario. Thankfully we missed the worst of it.
I love the new photo of you in the sidebar too.
I am in your neck of woods (Cape-ish) and heard the tropical storm winds/rain last night. It is still sort of sweltering though, eh?
Hope to see you around the interwebs more.
Stay cool. Laying low is good stuff!
I understand not wanting to blog when it is so hot outside.
Our tree out front has some yellow leaves on it. It won't be long before we will be dressing in sweaters and jeans again!
Such pretty pictures! I especially loved the color-changing leaves. I think I'm becoming obsessed with Autumn! ;-)
~Sandra,
Now how did you happen to miss the worst of the bad humid stuff in Ontario? Was that when you were away at the lake? Lucky you!
~Only,
Thanks for the comment about my new photo--I like it , too(and my smiley eye crinkles don't show in it, either)
"Cape-ish" is very near me, but we have not had any rain, thuder or storms...just unrelenting muggy heat day in and day out. I would love for there to at least be one wild storm. Hope you have been having fun on the Cape--school starts up again soon and then the whole routine and a whole new batch of kids(which maybe you secretly relissh, right?)
~Amanda,
Wearing sweaters and jeans sounds so inviting--can't wait until it is cool enough to dress like that again.
~Even though those leaves has laready turned color, it hsan't felt "autumn-like" here at all yet. The big show(much more color everywhere) is still to come...
i love the penguin pic on the side! omg! LOVE it!
i never thought of putting cologne in the fridge, that's a nifty idea. and humidity/heat make me lethargic too. it's like my brain doesn't function well under those conditions. and? pygmalion! LOVE it. i haven't read it in forever, but we read the play in high school and then watched my fair lady. i caught the movie recently on tv again and it is so wonderful. although katherine hepburn is always my fave hepburn, i do love audrey too. they were both so incredibly....polished.
Hey, c,k.,
I am SO happy you noticed and love the penguin photo! I adore it--it is from the 1950's-London by an anonymous photographer.
Post a Comment