Monday, August 10, 2009

Hot Summer Night Randoms




Just some very scattered random thoughts for tonight.
We are actually enduring a sweltering hot one today(and tonight)--haven't really had anything much like this all summer--forgot what it was like to be uncomfortable in the house and sweating(er....perspiring, my mother would correct me) as I simply move my fingers over the keyboard. Just the other night, I was sipping hot tea-and tonight all I want is a cold Vodka & Tonic and watermelon slices.
**************************************
* My soundtrack for the summer has turned out to be the music from R's room. She keeps playing over and over the downloaded tunes she bought from iTunes--all Michael Jackson and Jackson 5(she has been slightly obsessed since M.J.'s death), AND(and this seems not to fit in with what she usually listens to, but I am SO glad she likes it) Regina Spektor's "Far" CD, which I bought for myself in late June, but haven't even seen since R confiscated it.
At least I get to hear the songs seeping out from behind her closed bedroom door.

I like it that there is still music R and I can share(like Regina Spektor). All three of us went to the Guster show in Newport last Friday night(beautiful night right on the harbor with a sunset). Although, it took her a little while to loosen up and not be embarrassed to be with her parents (and especially her mother being all loud next to her).
****************************************************************
* After work today, I went down to the nearest beach for a little dip in the bay(wonderful!) and a little sit-in-the-sand-with-a-book time and overheard the strangest thing come out of a little boy's mouth(he was maybe 6?):
"Mother, I washed off my belly, and now I am ready for tanning."
Struck me as weird, but I liked it, too. Not what you would expect a six year old boy to say at the beach.
**********************************************************************
* One of my favorite local breakfast(and lunch) spots is going to be on TV (The Food Network, which I generally don't watch, but will look for this in January when it is supposed to air) . The crew and star(?) of a show called "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" were at Crazy Burger (delicious sweet potato fries and homemade ketchup!). The last time we were there, it was a quiet morning a few weeks ago-glad it wasn't when the filming was going on because according to this story, diners had to be turned away then, when the episode took over for a few days.
******************************************************************
* I saw this woman come in to the shop last week and I am still thinking about how fantastic she looked--a little older than I am (I think), with wavy hair similar to mine...but all grey. But she looked fantastic(as I said...not so good with adjectives in this heat) and inspirational to me for when I am much more grey(my few grey strands that my daughter insists on noticing for me that I insist are just light, sun-kissed summer hi-lights..heh..heh...)
********************************************************************
* There is some sort of large flying insect whacking itself against the walls and lights in this room-very annoying. It seems to be stuck behind the bookcase now.

11 comments:

Manders said...

I have watched that show on the Food Network. It is cool to know that there will be a place where someone I know has eaten. Wow!! So cool!

I think (at least around here) that everyone's summer soundtrack has been MJ. I went out and bought a couple of albums:Thriller and Ones. I have been listening to it, too. Aidan now knows who MJ is and he never did before!

Manders said...

Also, I just wanted you to let R know that I am going to a few things with my Mom. Like Kelly Clarkson, for example. Sometimes (and especially as you get older) it is wonderful to be friends with your Mom! Other women will be envious if they are not friends with their mothers. At least that has been the case with me!

Gal Friday said...

~Amanda,
We had actually given R "Thriller" last year when the anniversary edition came out and she was already a fan, but the recent death has put the obsession into high gear.
Funny that Aidan knows MJ music now, too--my seven year old niece also listens to his music, we found out when we visited last month...

Gal Friday said...

~Amanda,
Kelly Clarkson! Now, I"M envious! :-)

Anastasia Marou said...

I've never been a great M.J. fan but,since his death,I admit to listening over and over again to some old CDs I had - Thriller being one of them. As you surely know, watermelon is our national fruit but I am one of those rare Greeks who don't like it! On hot summer nights, I'd rather have fruit salad with some ice cream or some of your delicious peachy white sangria!

Zuzana said...

These are always one of your best posts.;))
Loved the music, it reminds me of a music style that was popular in the 90's; poetic and poignant. It is always important to be able to keep an open mind to modern music, no mater what weird it may become.;)

Isn't it strange and unfair how some women just look gorgeous in grey hair? I know I will never look that good, so I keep colouring it away. Maye one day, far in the future...

Glad you are enjoying some heat finally.;)) It will keep you warm in a few months when autumn arrives.;)

xo

Zuzana said...

Ok, sorry for all the typos.;)) But I know you understand what I mean.;))

SandraG said...

From my mother

Horses sweat; men perspire; women gently lilt!

cheatymoon said...

This is a fun post - you could link up to Random Tuesday Thoughts http://www.theunmom.com/.

I think you're grey hair (if that is what I'm seeing in your photo) is stunning. If it comes in as a nice streak, and with your coloring, just really great looking. On me, not so much.
I finally colored my hair a few weeks ago, due to many random white hairs in my long brown hair.

Have never seen Guster, and sadly my son will not go to any shows w/ me...

creative kerfuffle said...

i love random posts like this : ) i have been listening to my kids music this summer too but it doesn't sound as good as yours LOL they have discovered pop music/top 40 radio and it is driving me insane.
i think if i had access to a place where i could sit on the beach and read w/ my toes in the sand at a moment's notice i'd never leave.

Content in a Cottage said...

Tina, I really loved the Regina Spektor video. So beautiful and creative. Thanks! ♥Rosemary