Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Five on the 5th...of August

It's the fifth of August already!


I am pretty sure I missed/skipped doing my "five on the fifth" topic last month on the fifth day, so I want to at least get August's in.


Today's list is five favorite things in a bottle:



1. Vinho Verde wine from Portugal. We go through bottles of this stuff in the summer. Lightly bubbly, light and easy drinking with summer food(like fish on the grill, pasta with white sauces and even corn on the cob) and best drunk perfectly chilled. And, it's so cheap(always under 10.00 a bottle) 2. Eden perfume from Cacharel.
This is a new discovery for me. I had a little sample of this sitting in my bedroom drawer for months, and truth be told, I was actually afraid to try it. Many things I heard and read about this scent were about how strong and strange it was(lots of negatives, as well as positive reviews, though). So...over the weekend, after a shower, I decided to be brave and opened the little vial and dabbed some on both wrists.

It was a scent so not expected at all! I thought it was lovely and enchanting from the minute I smelled it! And, it lasted for hours and hours(which to me is a good thing-since so many perfumes seem not to last on me) and I found the whole experience of wearing it made me feel mysterious, earthy and sexy. It smells SO good to me, that, like with my beloved Ciara, I really don't care if other people don't like the smell of it. Of course, this is the kind of strong scent you only have to put the smallest amount on and NOT overdo it .

Now, I don't yet have an actual bottle of this stuff but am already scheming to get me one. The bottle looks a little strange, too. Sort of looks like it's made out of old Bakelite from the 1920's.



3. Floral Solaire (Filles des Iles)-yes, another bottled parfum. And, also a new discovery for me.

This one had me feeling so pretty and "beachy" at first sniff-the perfect summer scent.
"Floral Solaire contains notes of citron, star fruit, tropical breeze, passion fruit, blended with lily, tiara, & orchid. All of this frolicy sweet fruityness is rested on a bed of amber, benzoin, soft sand, musk and vanilla. Created by famed perfumer Celine Ellena. Floral Solaire is a wonderful dichotomy of clean cool breezes enveloped in a blanket of warm amber."
It actually is somewhat similar to another scent I have, L'Eau De Monteil (blogged about it here already) and am glad there is a "back-up" summer perfume I love as much, since the Monteil perfume appears to have been discontinued and it is getting hard to find.

I love these inks for sketching and doing watercolory washes on drawings with dip pens and paint brushes. I have a whole array of colors lined up on my window sill above my drawing table. The colors are jewel-like and never fade, and are also waterproof.

5. Sparkling French Lemonade
Lightly sweetened, fizzy drinks(R likes the pink flavor and I like the grapefruit) that come in a tall bottles at the supermarket. Good for making nice summer cocktails and 'mock' tails, too.
;-)

















































































15 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Love this list! I'm not really into perfume, but I've discovered a few scents that I like lately.

Happy Wednesday.

Manders said...

I am not a perfume person, either. I do love "Exclamation", though. I also am totally in love with some handcream I picked up from the States. It is divine and makes me want to eat myself...I know! I am weird!!

I wonder if we get that wine up here...

Zuzana said...

I need to check out those fragrances.;))
I have always loved "Noa" by Cacharel.;))
Have a great 6th of the month.;))
xo

Gal Friday said...

Erin,
THere are definitely some perfumes that are light and not so "perfumey". Curious as to what those scents you like are....

Amanda,
I used to wear "Exclamation" years ago--didn't even know it is still around! I would love to sniff it for old times sake, at least...used to love it(very sweet and distinctive smell)

Zuzana,
I recall you saying you liked "Noa" before, so I found some "Noa Perle"(in the blue bottle) and have that now!(very elegant--and it smalls like hazelnuts softly, I think)

cheatymoon said...

Tina - I just bought myself some of this:

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/Catalog.aspx?cat=rg_tc_BergamotTea

and love it. It's the first time I bought anything smelly that wasn't essential oil in years.

j said...

I'm not a perfume person, but the wine is a definite key buy! I'll look for it.

Claus said...

Great list! Those perfumnes sound fancy and elegant. I'm not a wine person much, but I am a lemonade/water one, so I am intrigued at how it tastes. And being it French, it also sounds very international ;-)

creative kerfuffle said...

that's a great list. love the descriptions of the perfumes! and i love that bakelite-like bottle!

Janet said...

I LOVE reading about new perfumes and these sound lovely :-)

Quirky Cafe said...

I am back in Blogland Tee. I will be going through your old posts in next few days :-)

Love always xx

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog, Tina... :) You've got me thinking about scents now. I remember Ciara, that one was always delicious. I hardly wear these things, but sometimes I come across a scent I have to have... and then I don't use it anyway... LOL. For awhile I was loving Amazing Grace body lotion (Philosophy), which just leaves a light clean scent on your skin that lasts and people ask what it is. Now I finally got myself another bottle of that, and now I don't like it as much, go figure? There was some amber scent I got from Bath and Body Works... that was yummy... what the heck did I do with that? And vanilla always makes me crazy.

Well, I'm rambling... lack of sleep!! I've been thinking about you and keep meaning to check in here, but time gets away from me. Summer hours have me wiped out. I'm still busy at work, but I will come back and try to catch up on some things I've missed here!! :)

Gal Friday said...

~Erin,
That Bergamot tea perfume sounds GREAT! I wish I could try some right now(it's sweltering here and it sounds perfect) Will have to add that to my wish list...


~Hey Judy,
Look for "Casal Garcia" label Vinhe Verde--if it is available on the West Coast. We have a lot of Portuguese here in the region of the country where I live and the wines get distributed locally, so maybe that is why they are inexpensive(right across the Atlantic)...but I'll bet they are available out where you are, too.

~Claudia,
The perfumes aren't really THAT fancy(I wouldn't be able to afford them if they were!)and the wine is Portuguese and not costly at all(I buy mine for 6.00 Dollars a bottle, usually) Lemonade and iced tea is good in the summer, too, of course...

~c.k.,
Actually, I kind of think the Eden bottle is quite odd and not too pretty, but I still don't have it in my possession. It is probably better "in person". :-)

~Janet,
Of course, since everyone's cemistry is different, you might not even like them...but I am excited about Only's tea perfume, so I want to try that, too....

~Julia,
What a great surprise to see you "here"! Welcome back...will have to make some time to read your blog again. :-)

~Duskie,
And another great surprise--thanks for stopping by(have not been by your site in ages...sorry!)
I think I remember you writing about that Amazing Grace scent before(another one I'll have to try!).
I have been thinking about you, too(we were very near your town when we passed through NJ last month(stopped for HOT bagels in Oakland..!)
Sorry to hear your summer has been so busy(with work)...let's hope for a mellow fall coming up.

Anastasia Marou said...

As you may know, Tina, I am a great perfume lover and collector. I now have over 400 perfumes in my collection. Of course, I don't wear all of them! Eden by Cacharel used to be my favourite perfume in my early 20s. I used to like strong scents such as Angel by Thierry Mugler, First by Van Cliff, Paris by YSL. But now I prefer lighter fragrances such as my beloved Silver Rain by La Prairie. I also love the new Midnight Rain which is rather strong but just a little bit is perfect for a night out. My favourite summer perfumes are Bright Crystal by Versace and The One by Dolce & Gabbana.

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia,
I didn't know that you collect perfumes, but I am not surprised...and like yopu even better for it, than I already did. :-) 400 bottles! I have about twenty, myself.
Your perfumes sound rich and lovely--would love to sample them sometime.(have only ever smelled Paris out of the ones you listed as your favorites) I am leaning towards "lighter" scents these days, too(but still have that Eden on my mind for the cold months ahead...)

Anastasia Marou said...

Yes, Tina, I am a perfume collector and I once posted a blog on perfumes.Natural perfumes are a complex mixture of substances. Extracts from the flower jasmine form part of many commercial perfumes including Paris and I think Shalimar and have more than 200 components. Personally, I think that flower scents are enjoyed by everyone, from every period and culture. Musk was once the most important perfumery material. It has always been difficult to obtain and is extremely expensive as the male musk deer from which it is derived live in remote and mountainous regions while the civet cat is extinct. And however much I love perfumes, I think going after male musk deer to create expensive perfumes is a crime!