
..and living well with Addison's disease.
It occurred to me today that it has been just about one year since Jewel was diagnosed with this disease. I had been blogging about her not feeling well here and here back then, still trying to comprehend how seriously ill she was and thankful that at least she was able to be treated. Once the vet figured out the correct dose for her, she returned almost immediately to being the curious and happy 22 lb. dog (never mind the sad sack expression in the photo above--she always looks like that in pictures) she naturally is.
The medication is expensive and she'll need to take it for the rest of her life, but of course we'll always find a way to make sure she takes it. It works!
Mr. F has become the designated injector--once a month I have to hold Jewel firmly(she cooperates fairly well) while he injects the med into a muscle along her lower back(we were shown how to do it by the vet). She is so good about the whole thing(a few feeble attempts at hiding in R's room and some nervous gulps is all she does, really), and doesn't even make a sound when the needle goes in or out. Plus, there is always a treat for her afterwards.
Funny thing is, when I was at the vet's last week, picking up the medication, I met another dog who had been newly diagnosed with Addison's, as well.
A couple came in with a slightly portly beagle. I had to smile because all beagles just make me want to smile when I see them. This one was sniffing all over the waiting room(as far as he could get in any direction being attached to a leash, that is) and named Gus. I liked him even better, after finding out his name was Gus.
Then I was told by the owners that he had been so sick earlier in the week--shaking, not eating or doing much of anything--and this all sounded so familiar to me from when Jewel was sick and before the diagnosis. When they told me he had Addison's disease I told them they were in good hands with our vet who treated him(like Jewel, he responded almost immediately to the meds and was back to his old self again, just a few days later) and that even though the treatment is costly, at least there is a something we can give our pets because the alternative would not be good at all, without the medicine.
11 comments:
Glad Jewel is feeling better. A pet adds so much colour and flavour to our lives and enrich the whole living experience.
I am glad that Jewel is better too. Dogs add so much to our lives, I wouldn't be without our Chloe.
glad jewel is feeling better. we have two dogs/two cats and i can't imagine being w/out them. my first dog was a beagle : ) her name was chloe. sweetest baby ever.
I'm glad Jewel is feeling better. I know I would pay any price to keep my dog feeling well. Unfortunately, Sasha is 13 1/2 years old and has developed a loss of bladder control. She's on medication too, but it is still so sad whenever she has an accident. She gets lots of baths these days.
So good to read Jewel is still doing so well one year after the diagnosis!!
And very interesting to get a closer look into her/your life with this entry :-).
X
Ah, I had no idea Jewel was sick. I am so sorry, having your pet suffering is very hard. I need to revisit some of your old post to get familiar with this.
In any case, I am happy that she is doing well, despite it all.
Give her a big hug from me and Batcat.;))
xo
~Sandra,
I can hardly think back to how it was BEFORE we had this dog! :-) She makes me laugh every single day.
~Clare,
Thanks--it's crazy in a way, but they become almost like another child in the family.
~c.k.,
Ya know....sometimes I think I should get myself a beagle, too, but then realise we could never afford another dog at this point(with all the expenses, and for our cat, too)
~JarieLyn,
I think of that, too--how soon our now 6 year old dog will age and probably have other issues we 'll have to go through together.
~Thanks, Cessie!
It truly is a small miracle of modern medicine/veterinary care that Jewel is so healthy , a year later.
~Zuzana,
Well, this was all a year ago when Jewel was very ill, but now with the medicine she has to take to correct it, it is like nothing ever happened. We are so lucky.
Aren't they so imporant in our lives? One is willing to do whatever it takes to make them feel better. I'm very happy Jewel is doing great. She is such a lovely dog! Very alike to my Mateo (I have uploaded a picture at my blog is you want to see it).
Today, the 9th, five years ago, my Tootsie passed away. She had cancer. She was the best, and I miss her - as I do my other puppies along the years - very, very much. They have been part of my life, and have made me so happy, and for that they will always have a place in my heart.
Claudia,
Oh yes!! I think both Mateo and Lucus look like they could be related to my Jewel! :-)
I am sorry today is a sad anniversary for you, remembering when you lost Tootsie. As we have no idea what lies ahead in the future for any of us--ourselves, our friends, our family members and our pets--I think I'll give out some extra hugs and "walks" today.
awww... poor puppy. at least there is something to help. I had to give my dog monthly shots also, but for allergies. she had them so bad. giving shots was easy for me though because I have had practice before hand with my Grandson who is diabetic. when he was little we had to give him shots, keep track of everything he ate, count carbs, etc. now he is old enough to do it himself.
Jewel looks gorgeous anyway! Glad to hear the treatment worked.
Post a Comment