Monday, September 7, 2009

Granola for breakfast..or anytime

Back in August, I blogged about making a really easy homemade granola, and also
a seafood in sherry cream sauce, and finally...have decided to get my act together and share them here.
First, the granola recipe: (the seafood dish recipe will appear later this week)


Easy Granola
(from Bon Appetit)
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup dried sour cherries (my husband loves these and eats them plain as a snack)
1/2 cup golden raisins
Preheat oven to 30o*F. Combine oats and almonds in bowl.
Mix in juice concentrate. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and toss.
Spread on cookie sheet. Bake 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in coconut and bake until
golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven: cool.
Add cherries and raisins to granola. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
I might add that you can alter this recipe by adding other things you might like in your granola--some wheat germ, sunflower seeds and other dried fruits, for example. I just like this recipe so much because it uses ingredients I usually have in my cupboards and that it truly is very easy to make.











7 comments:

Clare said...

yummmm. I am So going to try this and add cranberries!

Zuzana said...

Thank you so much for posting this; I am always looking out for easy recipes as I am a terrible cook.;))
Have a great day off.;))
xoxo

Gal Friday said...

~~Clare,
Yes, dried cranberries sound like a good addition. I have even added....chocolate covered raisins to this..heh..heh!

~~Zuzana,
I guess I should also have called this "muesli" for my European readers? I am not a great cook, either, believe me(just have learned a few things because I want my family to eat well and cheaply, too)
Thanks for remembering that today is my day off over here, too. :-)

Claus said...

I always wondered how exactly could one make home granola. I guess being the bad cook I am, I always figured it could only be bought. It sound and looks really easy! I would ignored the raisins though. Did you know I really, really dislike them? Occasionally I have some, because they are healthy, but I will avoid them as much as possible. Thanks for sharing!

Gal Friday said...

~Claudia,
I really don't care for raisins too much, myself. I find the golden kind are milder(and softer) in taste, and the ones covered in chocolate(!)even better if I have to eat them. :-)

Anastasia Marou said...

This sounds as good as ...apple zucchini muffins! I only wish I had a healthier breakfast! But I love croissants!

Gal Friday said...

Anastasia,
I love croissants, too! Wish I had one right now, to go with my morning coffee.