Saturday, September 19, 2009

September's Colors

Well, I am off soon to a full day at work. Usually I am cranky about having to fill in on a Saturday, but I am in a good mood about it today. Just hoping it'll go by fast and that I won't get that mopey "everyone else is having fun out there" stuck-inside-at work-on-a-Saturday feeling.

My friend Claudia was writing about the orange shades often associated with autumn on her blog the other day. While we have yet to see the the true vivid oranges and reds because the trees are only beginning to turn here, I did reflect after seeing some photos I took this week that September's colors are yellow and purple.

Purple tinted kale, and grapes.

The yellow of the vining flower I see growing usually next to or intertwined with the grape vines. But right now I am drawing a complete blank and can't even remember the name of this flower! So, if anyone knows, please tell me what it is! (you can squeeze the blossom and the seed part "pops" out)

10 comments:

Zuzana said...

I hope you will enjoy your Saturday, even if it is a working one.;)) It seems certainly as if it is going to be a fine day.;))

Purple and yellow; what a combination. Rich and warm colors for sure.

Here our Indian Summer days are reaching its end. Autumn is really about to take over.;))

Have a wonderful Saturday Tina.;)
xoxo

Content in a Cottage said...

Jewel Weed? I had lots of this over the summer growing alongside the poison ivy.

I put some purple kale in pots yesterday to decorate for fall. Love it. Have a great Saturday even though you have to work. ♥Rosemary

Anastasia Marou said...

I'm used to working on Saturdays, but I had this Saturday off work and I've only got one more to enjoy. My French classes start on October 3!To me the colour of autumn is golden-like our chrysanthemums - often called mums.The name of this autumn flower derives from Greek : chrysos = gold and anthos = flower. However, over here we've got some pink chrysanthemums as well.

Gal Friday said...

Zuzana,
Thanks, and I am home now from work--it wasn't bad at all, really.
Maybe the Indian summer will stick around a little bit longer for you?(you never know...)

Rosemary,
Thank you! Jewelweed--that's it, and one would think I could have remembered that name, being that my dog's name is in it. :-P
I forgot to look for purple asters and golden rod, too--maybe I'll have more yellow and gold photos before September is gone.

Anastasia,
I hope you enjoy those last remaining free Saturdays to the full. I sort of knew chrysanthemum was from the Greek, but never knew what it meant exactly, so I thank you for the little Greek lesson.

Claus said...

I like your September colors! I especially like purple...a lot! I have a lot of clothing on that color, or a shade of purple. Purple is the color they often pick for Autumn fashion, have you noticed? Maybe they are inspired by nature's season colors! That would make sense...
Glad your working day was OK!

Unknown said...

I see plenty of those flowers where I like to walk. I don't know the name but they are eye catching. fall is close but not here yet, as far as the colors in Michigan. have a wonderful weekend!

cheatymoon said...

Love your photos. Have a great rest of the weekend...

Anastasia Marou said...

You're very welcome , Tina. In my area chrysanthemums only bloom in autumn and they are lovely. I like the yellow (golden) ones best.

j said...

Nothing's turning here yet. In fact, our tomato plants are producing like crazy - last minute heatwave. Just spent most of today out in the yard. It's a dirty job making it pretty, but I'm happy today it looks much better than I do.

creative kerfuffle said...

you take the best pictures!