Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bagpipes On The Brain


"I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired

when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm.

Unfortunately, the manmade sound never equalled

the purity of the sound achieved by the pig."

- Alfred Hitchcock


Ever since I read about an odd bagpipes experience over at only a movie earlier this week, I keep thinking about bagpipes. Which I find sort of thrilling(especially combined with the drums) when I hear them, actually. Makes me want to be proudly Scottish or some such. And I am not Scottish(that I know of--French Canadian, Greek, German is what I am...that I know of...).

Anyway, I scoured YouTube for some bagpipe action and I am going to share two good ones today.

The first is some footage from 1976(!)of AC/DC on an Australian show. Sure, the singing and bagpipe playing(by a very young looking Bon Scott--R.I.P.)is probably lip-synced(pipe-synced?)but it's great and ....so are the disco dresses on the dancing ladies in the background.


Second video is of a Scottish pipes and Brazilian Samba drums playing outfit called MacUmba. The quality of the video is kind of shoddy-but the sound quality is good.







14 comments:

Zuzana said...

I love bagpipes.;) The first video was a lot of fun to watch.
My dream is to travel to Edinburg in Scotland and see The Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Wishing you a lovely Saturday.;)
xoxo

cheatymoon said...

That AC/DC video is gold.
Have a lovely weekend, Ms. T.

cheatymoon said...

Oh, the gnome? Also gold. I wish I had found him for my post last week.

Anastasia Marou said...

I prefer bouzouki to bagpipes!But I did enjoy the videos. There's something romantic in this type of music. And yes, I LOVE your Alfred Hitchcock quote.... Getting spooky or what? And may your Saturday be a ...blast!

SandraG said...

Generally you either love or hate bagpipes. I think it has something to so with the way your ear is wired up - so to speak. My husband loves the sound; my sister can't stand it!

Gal Friday said...

Ms. Protege,
I would LOVE to travel to Scotland one day, myself. Hope your dream comes true and also hope your Sat. was nice(mine was fine up until the end of the day at work with an upsetting encounter with a creepy, mean customer...)

Only,
Yeah, I got pretty excited about the AC/DC clip(forced my kid to watch it, even) and I was *almost* going to use an image of a Highlands Barbie(complete with mini kilt and pipes) instead of the cute gnome.

Anastasia,
Now, what would it sound like if some bouzoukis and the bagpipes got together? ;-)

Sandra,
I know it shouldn't even work, but no matter how harsh, I like the pipes!

cessie said...

I love bagpipes as well! Cannot watch youtube here but I can imagine the sounds of it lol. Bagpipes do have that something special, don't you think!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyd the video, interesting.But Im like Anastasia I would enjoy the bousouki more.Just my opinion,Theres greek blood flowing in my veins I guess that why,LOL.

Oh Alfred was a funny and strange guy wasnt he?

Claus said...

Oh the retro video!! That song is a classic! Don't you want to play the drums every time you see a rock video? I do! I think that's my secret dream :-)

Curious thing the bagpipes. I have never seen one here in Guatemala, though I'm sure there must be one at a family with some Scottish in their background. I think it is nice when knows where your roots can be found. I have struggles to find where mine come from, and all I have been able to learn is that there is a little of Spanish in me, from San Sebastian to be specific. And though I'm proud of being Guatemalan, it's kind of cool to know there's some "foreign" in me. We all have some foreign, wouldn't you agree?

Anonymous said...

I was never really familiar with much AC/DC, but it's cool how the bagpipes actually seems to fit in with the song, not what I expected!!! I keep wondering if he's really playing them!!

Now it's got me thinking of an old I Love Lucy show too... :)

Last year (or was it even the year before)... well back when I used to go for a walk every evening at the nearby park, we would regularly hear someone beyond the woods of the park playing bagpipes! I guess that was their regular practice time. I wonder how the neighbors liked that every night... :)

Gal Friday said...

~Marcelle,
yes, I agree--definitely something special that just grabs you when bagpipes are played(of course, I can also se how some don't like the sound...)

~Becky,
I am not an iota Scottish and yet, I still LOVE the sound of the pipes. :-) As for Hitchcock, my husband found some old episodes of his television show and we watched them a few months ago--reallly creepy and clever in a Twilight Zone vein.

~Claus,
Let me guess--your favorite Muppet is Animal? ;-)(me, I also wanted to be the sexy, quiet bass player in a band)

Most definitely all of us have some "foreign" in our ancestry, especially us living on the North and South American continents.(I think in some areas of Spain, people play the bagpipes...)

~Duskie,
That is such an image you have planted in my head--of the unseen but heard bagpipes, beyond the woods when you used to go on your walks...

vdesheva said...

Great post as always, Tina!!!:) And beautiful music!!!:) As you probably know from my blog, I *love* bagpipes too!!!:) Especially those of the Rhodope mountains /the so-called 'Kaba bagpipes'/!!!:)

Gal Friday said...

Vessie,
That's right--I remember when you featured those traditional pipes from Bulgaria on your blog.

creative kerfuffle said...

i love bagpipes. i don't know if it's just because they're so unusual or the tone or simply the sound? but, like you when i hear them i wish i were scottish : )