...WITH GUITAR!!!! No, sorry, that's not it...(I can never not add the part about "with guitar..!!" because I automatically think of
that Clash song when I hear the "this is a public service announcement" phrase).
This a public service announcement with...a hot cup of tea, instead..
Actually, this is just some plain good advice about trying to avoid the dreaded Swine Flu virus(or any flu virus). Some of which I already knew and some of which I hadn't thought of as important(drinking warm liquids, for example) which was sent to me by a friend and I thought I would pass this on here, as well as forwarding to many in my e-mail address book. So, read on, please.....and stay healthy out there, folks!
Prevention...good advice
Dr. Vinay Goyal is an MBBS,DRM,DNB (Intensivist and Thyroid specialist) having clinical experience of over 20 years. He has worked in institutions like Hinduja Hospital ,Bombay Hospital , Saifee Hospital , Tata ,Memorial etc..
Presently, he is heading our Nuclear Medicine Department and Thyroid clinic at Riddhivinayak Cardiac and Critical Centre, Malad (W). The following message given by him makes a lot of sense and is important for all to know.
Dr. Vinay Goyal is an MBBS,DRM,DNB (Intensivist and Thyroid specialist) having clinical experience of over 20 years. He has worked in institutions like Hinduja Hospital ,Bombay Hospital , Saifee Hospital , Tata ,Memorial etc..
Presently, he is heading our Nuclear Medicine Department and Thyroid clinic at Riddhivinayak Cardiac and Critical Centre, Malad (W). The following message given by him makes a lot of sense and is important for all to know.
The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is. While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):
****
1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
****
2. "Hands-off-the-face"approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (except to eat or bathe).
****
3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
****
4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at using a Neti pot to clean nasal cavities, but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.
****
5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
****
6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.
Pass this on to everyone you know, if possible. You never know who might pay attention to it - and STAY ALIVE because of it.
Pass this on to everyone you know, if possible. You never know who might pay attention to it - and STAY ALIVE because of it.
18 comments:
Tina...Thanks so much. I am going to print the instructions and follow them to the letter. I only knew a few already. It's very hard not to touch you face when your nose is itching. It started the very instant I read that line. Guess I'll have to go eat something and scratch it with my fork. :-) Have a great Sunday. ♥Rosemary
The number 3 and 4 sounds very intriguing, I bet few new that they should clean/desinfect their nostrils.;)
Talking about the swine flue; I am not sure if I did not already had one.:P It lasted 3 days about two months ago; severe muscle ache, high fever, shivers (never have those) and cough. I have never felt that bad in my life. I survived though thanks to a good stock of Nyquil. I am not sure what they put into that stuff, but it sure works.;)
Hope you are having a great Sunday.;)
xo
Same as Protege, I don't know whether I already had one either. I did have kind of a flu in September, but a short and heavy one. So you don't know...
But I always try to do things like that already, the saltwater, the vitamines and the handwashing...
Ah well, one never knows do we!
Hope you all won't fall severely ill!!
Take care!
I have a sinus infection right now and have been doing all of those things anyway - good to know I am helping not get the flu. (It started out w/ a cold, no flu, thank goodness.) Although I am also on antibiotics... ack.
Good for you for posting this. One of my other blogroll friends used this exact same title for a different post last week. xo
Interesting...I'd not thought of drinking warm drinks to prevent the spread of virii, but that's a great tip!
Thanks for these tips!
Great precautionary advice here, thanks for sharing. Yesterday I actually walked out of a restaurant before ordering because of the horrific cough/illness of another customer who had the nerve to go out in public being that sick, with all the precautions we see in the media. Oy.
I never knew that a virus can't survive in the stomach. Very interesting. Goes to show there's always sth new to learn.
Thanks for this post. There are so many preventative measures we can take (if only the big guys would share them with us.
Very good advice.
OK here's an update from someone who avoided the flu for years - maybe 10 or more - and just this month caught a flu bug from her dearest hubby (who also hadn't had the flu for many years.
While it may be impossible to completely avoid the flu entirely unless you live alone on a desert island, I think if you eat properly and exercise at least a little, I think you can keep the symptoms to relatively bearable.
Germs seem to like to attack those least likely to resist. I am determined NOT to be one of those people for as long as I can!
Tina, thanks for posting this. Just the last couple of days I have had a sore throat, congestion, exhaustion and very achy muscles. I am definitely printing out your advice and I am going to follow it to a tee. Or should I say hot tea? Yes, I am.
Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Thank you. I never need an excuse to make a hot cup of tea but now I have one. :) Alas, I am trying to switch to decaffeinated tea in the afternoon and I think it tastes plain awful.
Tina, I think I will pass this on through facebook..the more awareness, the better.
Thanks for posting this, Tina! We hear so much about hand washing and not touching the face, but not the other things.... I'm going to pass it on :)
Simple and effective tips. Thanks for sharing! I think I came this close to swine flu. We have concluded that my mom went through it and we didn't even know. I took care of her, and fortunately, I did not acquire it. I maintain that it was my almost excessive orange/carrot/lemon juice drinking, and the fact that I was my hands a lot!
Thanks for these very interesting tips, Tina. I already knew some of them and have been following them but there are some others I had no idea about - like touching your face for instance. Hard to avoid it.
This was interesting, thanks for the info! I didn't realize salt water was so beneficial!! (and so simple!!) There were a couple of cases of swine flu at my job, and most everyone around me has the nasty cold which I now have been battling too... but at least it's not swine flu I guess. I do try to wash my hands well and often, and have stopped touching my face so much. My boss kept telling me that he believes we catch most things through our eyes, so I try not to eye rub anymore either. Similarly, he suggested just using a saline nasal spray too. Good tips!! Hope you and your family are staying healthy!!
~Rosemary,
Be careful with that fork, now!
;-) Actually, until I read this, I never realized just how often I do touch my face--trying to be better about that.
~Zuzana,
Since you already had to suffer with what may have been the Swine Flu, I think you should get a pass that makes sure you won't get sick like that again all winter now..(myself, I can't take Nyquil--took it once long ago and thought it was a hallucinatory drug!)
~Marcelle,
I remember now, when you were so ill--and like Zuzana, I hope you'll have no more flu for the rest of the season. My husband has long used Neti pots and salt/saline wahes(to combat sinus problems)and he insists that I should do it , too. Hate to say it, but I guess he was right all along...
Only,
oh dear--hope you are MUCH better now(my husband is prone to sinus infections and ever since he started using a Neti pot he doesn't get them anymore)
~Meg,
Isn't that the easiest tip to follow? Drink plenty of warm liquids? We eat a lot of homemade soups and drink different teas in this house--that is why that is the easiest one for me.
~Joanne,
Sorry to hear your dining experience was ruined by the other ill patron in that restaurant. I hope you are still healthy...after that!
~Arty,
I know--I didn't know that about the virus and and the stomach, either. Sounds almost too good to be true, doesn't it?
~PHST,
Just doing my job, Ma'am...passing this along ;-)
~Sandra,
I am sorry to hear you and the husband both were laid low with the flu. Now, let's be sure that doesn't happen for another ten years, okay? Knocking on wood as I write, but I also have not had a flu in over ten years(and neither has my husband and daughter)--so I keep thinking my/our turn is coming.
~JarieLyn,
I hope the hot tea(and some rest) has stopped that cold/virus in it's tracks for you and you are on the mend by now.
~Clare,
Exactly how I felt about the tea tip! Do you like any other tea besides black tea? I like white tea(Celestial Seasonings--less caffeine)and Jasmine tea(Teavana has some nice types with no caffeine)in the afternoon and into the evening.
~Kate and Arty,
Yes, pass this on any way you like...and stay well!
~Claus,
That must have been awful for your mother--luckily she had a good nurse and companion to see her through it.
~Anastasia,
I know--I too often cup my face in one hand(even when typing) and am trying to be awre of it more and stop it.
~Duskie,
The salt water works!--I gargle with it when I feel a cold coming on and usually can nip it in the bud that way--and my husband rinses daily with a saline solution. I hope YOU'LL stay healthy this season, too(it must be hard to in a work place where already people have been ill)
i hadn't thought of those preventative measures, except for the handwashing--which i'm obsessive about anyway. i have a few friends who use and like the netti pots but i just don't know if i could do that.
Post a Comment