Since I had a headache all weekend and got preoccupied with other things in my life, and just didn't have the mindset to sit and write a blog, I'll have to post something later today about this historic day--Nov. 9--the twentieth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. I got out my photo albums and looked through them--I have some photos I took of the wall(on the then "West" German side) on a visit there in April of 1989--about 7 months before it all came officially tumbling down. I'll have some more photos and thoughts about all this later today. For insight on this from the perspective of someone who has lived on the inside as well as the outside of the "East Bloc", please visit Protege's blog- excellent writing over there today.How do you like my scary little "owl-o-lantern"? To view the owl before the rotting set in and the squirrels plucked off all the sunflower seeds, go here. I noticed lots of rotting, creepy carved pumpkins, in fact, on all the doorsteps, in the last few days. Funny how they end up looking way creepier the week after Halloween.
Fuzzy image of Brandenburger Tor(Gate) as it used to look, taken from my old photo album.
11 comments:
I am visiting your lovely place again, while I have my coffee break.;)
I so recognize the rotten pumpkins.;) This year I got rid of mine before the rott set in.;)
Wow, wow on the Berlin wall picture!! Touching. I was standing at the same place a year after and the wall was already gone in that place...
Isn't that in a way strange to ponder the fact that we were standing in the same spot a year apart, about two decades before we met...;)
I am so looking forward to your post later today.
Thank you so much for the link and the kind words, you are one in a million...
xoxo
Zuzana
I didn't really understand what it meant when the wall fell down. I was too young. Only in retrospect do I understand.
Pumpkins are a problem. What to do with them after Halloween?
Finally! and after look of an -o-Lantern :-) I was always curious about how they end up :-)
Hope the headache is getting better!
I am also sneaking to look at work and I can't see images! I will come back later.
It must have been a headachey sort of weekend... I am in the migraine zone. Ack.
love the after pic of the owl-o-lantern. gives me the idea that i should snap a picture of ours before i bag them up for tomorrow's trash.
i hope you're feeling better.
I wonder what my Grandfather (who fought in ww2 and spend a few months in a german prison camp) would have thought about the wall coming down. He died 12 months prior to it coming down.
My friend had a suggestion for the rotting pumpkins. Bury the entire thing in the ground, let it decompose and whatever grows on top or around it will flourish!
I had to get rid of my jack-o-lanterns halloween night; we have some very naughty teenagers in our neighborhood that like to smash them on houses and driveways.
Loved the Berlin wall photo! Hope your headache is getting better :)
Came back to see your photos. Cool! I went to Germany in '93 - didn't make it to Berlin.
Hope your head is better. Mine isn't great. I think I will go to bed early.
Zuzana,
I hadn't thought of it, until you wrote here, about the two of at one time standing at the same place , yet not yet aquainted with each other. :-) We come from such different backgrounds with our own different experiences, and yet we still have so much in common.
~Manders,
I am trying to imagine growing up like you--already with the Wall a thing of the past. It makes you hopeful, that whatever problems seem insurmountable today in this crazy world, might one day be a thing of the past, as well.(the husband chucked the rotting pumpkin over the fence into the woods near out house.)
~
~
~Hey Claudia,
Thanks--headache is gone. I think I am not drinking enough water and am dehydrated, and maybe that is why I got that headache.
~Erin,
Poor you--a migraine is terible(and doubly terrible on a weekend!) and at least I only had an annoying kind of headache that I could still try to ignore for the most part.
~c.k.,
Kind of sad, getting rid of the Halloween stuff, isn't it?
My headache is gone--conviently in time for a full day at work. ;-)
~Clare,
It really is too bad your grandfather couldn't have lived to know the events of Nov. 9, 1989.
I wish I had known about your tip to bury the remains of the pumpkin--husband already chucked it into the woods, where I guess it is decomposing nicely.
~Jack,
I have been thinking I might see SOME smashed pumpkins around here, but strangely, none so far.
~Erin,
thanks for coming back to see the photos! I wish I could go back to Germany(been saying that for years)--so much has changed and I would love to tour other regions in that beautiful country.
~
Erin, one more thing..
..hope you feel much better by tomorrow. Isn't there any drug you can take to get rid of a migraine?
Post a Comment