As I said....I am a gluttonous pig with no self-control.
~I should probably take the dog for a second walk, to walk off all the food that is slowly digesting inside me now~Another thing I can't quite believe is that it's the first of December! Yikes! Where did the fall go? At least it feels and looks like December out there-- trees completely bare of leaves now, and cold enough for wearing gloves and a warm scarf today with that bright midday winter sunshine and the happy sound of chickadees around the bird feeder.
~I *hope* I'll enjoy this month more than I usually do. Between being extra busy at work, and trying to pull off the whole "gift buying, gift making, holiday decorating and baking thing" and often getting my one head cold of the entire year around this time, I get stressed out at this time of year. When other people tell me how much they love the season, I am almost afraid to fess up and tell them of my somewhat Scrooge-like attitude towards it. Usually, I can't wait until New Year's. But, somehow we have managed to have all our gifts purchased for everyone on our list. We kept it simple, mainly. And we are done. So....with that out of the way, I think I will try to fill that free "space" with enjoying the season more. No shopping. Maybe there will be extra time for just driving around looking at lights. Go to some concerts. Things like that.
~I have slowly recovered from having company at my house for three days. While I love my brother and his wife and my adorably smart and funny niece and nephew, it's tough hosting here because the space is so small. And, also, because I am an introvert at heart, it is personally exhausting for me after a while. So, it was nice being back to just "us"(meaning my small family unit of three--husband, my daughter and me)and how we kind of keep to ourselves, doing our own thing, quietly and peacefully. The dog, too, was happy to be allowed back on the bed and she slept for most of Sunday recovering, too.
~One of my favorite things to do now, is sit with my morning cup of coffee and gaze out the big window by the couch and watch the birds come to my feeder. So far, it's been mostly tufted titmice(I LOVE just saying that name), chickadees, sparrows, finches, mourning doves, cardinals and sometimes a woodpecker. I hope we'll attract a Carolina wren and some nuthatches eventually.
~My sister-in-law left behind a few People magazines, and as I was looking through them , I decided that Oprah Winfrey and Miley Cyrus are both rather odd looking human beings. Oprah always looks so unnaturally made-up and coiffed(which seems to emphasise her big head). I would love to see what she looks like when she first rolls out of bed. And Miley...her face is simply strange. She may have been a cute child but her features don't seem to be made for an adult face. She seems, also, to have one of those big heads, in proportion to the rest of her.
~Yes, I can be petty, judgemental and snarky. People magazine and over-exposed celebrities can do that to me. The one thing that can be said for being poor and an unfamous(my spellcheck is telling me this is not a real word) person--I don't have to worry so much about being scrutinized.
~ I wish Jimmy Stewart were still alive. Every time I watch a movie with him in it, I think that. Watched one of my favorite old movies last night--1940's "The Shop Around The Corner" with Stewart and Margaret Sullivan in it. It's set in a Budapest shop and is basically the first in a long line of movies with the anonymous pen pal theme (most recently re-done in "You've Got Mail").
20 comments:
welcome back! I can relate to the personally exhausted feeling after having company. I love our little unit of three as well. I am getting more and more introverted as the years go by. When I am invited out by friends I am initially thrilled and then start to think of reasons why I shouldn't leave the house.
I also adore Jimmy Stewart You probably remember this. I love him best in the movie Mr Hobbs Takes a Vacation. Boompa!
Clare,
I get like that, too--about going out with friends as opposed to happily staying home(getting together with friends always turns out to be a good thing, though).
I have never seen that movie--"Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation", so don't know what this "Boompa" is all about(will add to my Netflix queue). :-)
I have a similar disposition and am personally exhausted by house guests. Webster too. He usually zonks out for a day or two after company leaves. Your sandwich and sides sounded delicious. I've been stuffed for the past 4 days and today is the first day I've eaten normally. But I keep thinking about the pumpkin pie in the fridge. We all miss Jimmy Stewart!
It is filmed in the 'grooovy' sixties and is about Jimmy taking his family and grandchildren on vacation to a beat up old house by the sea. His grandchild, who he doesn't get to see in a while called him Boompa. He was surprised to hear that was his chosen name and exclaimed "boompa!" in a way only Jimmy Stewart can. It is one of my favourite movies.
Tonight I am trying to convince hubby to watch Elf with me again. I think it is so stupid it is great. :)
This was lots of fun to read! I've always enjoyed what you write about the changing seasons at your house, and today was the same. It doesn't seem like very long ago we in the northern climes were talking about the greenery of June. But of course it was a long time.
The reality is also setting in for me that I need to get a grip on the season. If it weren't for being a mother it would be easier to say to heck with all the hoo-ha, though I would probably miss the tree and decorations and all the rest. Good luck! We'll all manage to make it through.
p.s. I have always thought Miley Cyrus had a strange face, too.
The Holiday season CAN be overwhelming, stressful, and can make you "dislike" it a little bit. It is a fun time, but I believe it is the preparations what might darken the bright moments. It's happening on my side; especially at work, where I'm in the hectic middle of organizing the Christmas lunch, office decorations, children-of-employees' presents, and boss's food (yeah, he does not eat what us mortals do, ughh!)... plus what we do at home...but hey!, better try to put up a happy face, and take one day and chore at a time. I'm wishing you a good start of the season, not too hectic, not to stressful, and a little fun?
Happy Holidays!
For us, the holiday season is yet to come. Christmas, of course! I have already decorated the school...and the kids seem to like the festive atmosphere. It took me 6 hours to finish but I do enjoy deco in general. And, ah well! It's getting colder over here as well. It's got 21*C at midday and 12*C at night. We're wearing jumpers now! and fluffy woolies..no gloves or coats yet. By the way, I love your portabella club sandwich! Sounds like the healthiest club sandwich ever!
I LOVE Jimmy Stewart!! Rear Window and It's A Wonderful Life are two of my all time favourite films. I just brought home The Shop Around the Corner the other day to watch as I've never seen it, will be watching it one night soon!
That sandwich sounds very tasty, by the way :)
What a nice rambly post... :-) I was happy to have some time w/out people after the holidays. I am happy to hang out in my little home.
I loved You've Got Mail and ever saw the original.
Haven't done much Christmas shopping at all. Yikes. Not that I'll do too much.
ooops, that was never saw the original.
Hope the stress is easing... I hear you on it.
Full moon tomorrow. Maybe that is part of it.
i like my space too. i love having company but am so glad when they leave. also, i love going visiting but am so glad to get home. if one of the kids is away for the night it's not right. i feel best when all four of us are safe and sound and home together : )
i love jimmy stewart too : ) i haven't seen that particular movie though. i'll have to put it on my list.
and--even though you ate that whole sandwich (which is totally what i would have done) it was veggies--so that's good for you : )
Hey, it was a portobello mushroom...perfectly okay to eat the whole thing.
I'm recovering from company too...and just heard that my in-laws are descending this weekend. BOOOOOO!
One of your posts that I so enjoy reading.;) I agree with you on the odd looking celebrities.;)
And we have a saying in my language that states that fish and guests smell on the third day.;))
Hope you are having a lovely midweek,
xo
~Rosemary,
So..you(and Webster) too? I suppose it is a common thing to feel that way when guests stay(and really, my brother and SIL are the kindest, most easy-going people).
~Clare,
I saw what you posted(for Moi?!) at your blog and watched the clip--that was some B-A-D, very white dancing! I have added the flick to my Netflix list, too and wil definitely let you know what I think of it once I have watched it.
My daughter watches "Elf" in the summer, she loves it so much. :-)
~sallymandy,
You are so right--it DOES seem we were just writing about the return of green growing things and warmth and here we are again in such a short time! And I agree with you--having a child keeps you doing those things at holiday time that you might not normally do(like making a decorated gingerbread house every year).
~Claus,
Yes, you have those extra jobs at this time of year, too. I think I should try to emulate your more positive attiude about it, though. :-)
~Anastasia,
Six hours! to decorate!? I am sure it must look spectacular. :-)
Yes, that sandwich, I suppose, is healthy(I have made something like it in the summer when we grilled outside, too)--but in true American fashion, it is BIG!
~Kate,
That is so funny that you have just brought home "The Shop Around The Corner"--I have a feeling you'll love it. And, "Rear Window" is one of my favorite movies, too.
~Erin,
I have never (yet) seen "You've Got Mail", actually.
Ahhh...the full moon(so bright last night it kept me awake)and my PMS--a scary combination!! ;-)
~c.k.,
I read in a comment at only's blog that your husband *also* doesn't care for board games! That is one reason we ahardly ever play them in this house...we should start a support group. ;-)
~Amber,
Owf! That's rough--having company(and In-Laws, too!) again and so soon!! Stay strong. :-)
~Zuzana,
That saying..ha..ha!! I am sure I have been that guest who doesn't smell so good after a third day, too.
I use to get so frazzled and burnt out during the holidays but I have learned over the last few years to only tackle what I can and not make the gift buying, decorating, or holiday baking too difficult on myself... simplify things so you have time for YOU.
Love the new profile pic :)
~Jack,
I have learned to simplify and try to be content with having things a little less than Martha Stewart ideal. Having adaughter who likes to decorate(she has been doing the tree herself for the last frew Christmas seasons, actually)helps...
And, thanks for the comment about my new pic--my green and spiky moody self(I like it, too)
I love Jimmy Stewart, too! There's another ancient one you should catch (if you haven't already): Made for Each Other. He's so handsome and Carole Lombard is so beautiful and they're so in b&w love, which means they'll live happily ever after.
Ooohh..thanks for the movie tip, "Gal"! Another one I have not watched(and love Carole Lombarde, too)
You sound a lot like me. I often overeat, sometimes I'm way too judgemental, my husband and I are both quiet and reserved around people, especially ones we don't know. We like our little private world. Oh, and I just adore Jimmy Stewart. His voice is so unique. I've seen the movie, The little shop around the corner". Great way to end this post.
Post a Comment