Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Mumblings

I might have had a really good blog entry this morning, if only I could recall most of the dream I had before waking up this morning. All that I can retrieve now from the recesses of my foggy brain is something about really tall drag queens in cars.

Damn! I really wish I could remember the rest-it's like having to shut off a movie you were watching and just getting into .

I am having a strange morning. Husband's been gone since 4:15 this morning(left for a trip to see his brother). The dog seems confused that he isn't in the bed.

For breakfast today, I made the mistake of attempting to cook my hot quinoa cereal in the microwave. I usually slow cook it on the stove, which takes about 20 minutes, tops (i make it with a combination of low-fat milk and almond milk, a squirt of agave nectar for some sweetness and some frozen berries thrown in at the end). But I felt like it was going to take too long(had some blogs to catch up on this morning, after all!) so I thought I would try the microwave directions on the box.

Well, now I know why I rarely cook anything in the microwave. It was a messy, bubbly disaster with milk all over and the quinoa grains didn't even soften up and cook properly. It took me ten minutes to finish eating it, too--it tasted terrible. I learned my lesson. Stove top is the way to go, not matter how much longer it takes.

The weekend went by much too quick, what with work on Saturday(even though I did manage to get out a little early). Valentine's Day dinner was perfect(and we want to go back to this new discovery of a restaurant). Sun was shining on the snow Sunday morning and I took the dog and me for a l-o-n-g walk(soaking in that vitamin D). Then we headed up to Providence for the P-Bruins hockey game that R's school singing group was singing the Nat'l Anthem at. They were minus at least ten singers(away on vacation) and I was secretly worried that they wouldn't sound good enough for such a big place. But I got all choked up when I heard them, out on the ice. They sounded fantastic--all eight of them. The video below (oops! no video for now--see explanation at the very end) doesn't sound quite as good as it did live(that's my R, second from the left, sort of half hidden). The game was fun, even if the Bruins got "crunched" by the Syracuse Crunch(I think they are affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens), 7-4.

There were two fights,

an injury,

screaming fans,

fans with no shirts,

4 dollar hot dogs--all in all your typical hockey game, right? (I hadn't been to one for almost 18 years)

** oh, forget it! There will be no video. Sorry. It was taking forever to load. Maybe I'll try again later today, but I have to get myself to work.

7 comments:

Zuzana said...

Hello Tina, I am visiting again with my afternoon coffee.;)
Your dream sound very interesting. Maybe you saw "The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen of The Desert" recently. That features drag queens in cars (and buses?).
I never cook anything on the stove. I am lazy that way.;) 20 minutes to cook breakfast is way too long.;) So I am a microwave person, although I recognize the exploading mess in it way too well.;)
Your weekend sounds lovely, I hope your week will be as well.;)
xoxo
Zuzana

Claus said...

Now I'm curious about the video!! For some reason, I always enjoy seeing and hearing the American National Anthem. It seems to me that there is so much...something...shall I call it pride?...in it when it's being sung. It gives me the goose bumps! :-)
I'm glad you had a great weekend.

Kate said...

Oh, I hope you can get the video posted later!! I can imagine how you must have felt in that moment! :)

I know that feeling, when you try to remember a dream but it's slipping away and you can't grasp it.... it's frustrating, especially when the bits you can remember were rather intriguing! I had a similar experience the other night, all I could remember was Mike and I making cookies with Juan Antonio Samaranch, the former president of the IOC ;-)

Barb said...

Your Husband getting up that early probably initiated your dream. I heard a speaker on Sleep once who said all dreams are bad. I don't want to agree with that! However, is that why we sometimes try to suppress them? Just wondering... Have a good week.

Anastasia Marou said...

I've had my lesson as well the other day when I thought I'd put the original swiss croissants Alkis brought me from Zurich 2 weeks ago in the microwave...instead of in the oven. Right! I was in a hurry on Saturday morning - had to prepare my French A Level lesson on ...French art - the cubists in particular - and if I don't eat breakfast I can't function! A disaster! My swiss croissant died in the micro waves, so I had a piece of toast and off I went to work and...finished later than usual. At least I enjoyed our long festive weekend and ...Green Monday Lunch at the veranda!

Content in a Cottage said...

Hmmm...tall drag queens in cars. That would have been a good dream to read about. I really dislike the microwave for almost everything. Oatmeal is the worst...it always runs over. Top of the stove is best. I've never had quinoa as a cereal. Tried it once as a side dish and it was awful. I think you have to know how to prepare and season it before it's palatable. Have a great week...xo, Rosemary

Gal Friday said...

Hi Zuzana,
I saw that Aussie movie(Priscilla) years ago(and might even want to watch that on DVD again, now that you reminded me)--perhaps it got wedged into a corner of my brain and it decided to filter into my dream that night.

~Claudia,
I might try to put it up on my Facebook page(even though Mr. F and R already have it on their FB pages and they told me it took a very long time to load there, also)
I think this version of the anthem that the students sang was a more subdued version. To me--it's very hard to sing(but then, I can't sing well at all) Interesting to hear your impression of this song, though.

~Kate,
Now, why on earth would you be having a dream that is in any way connected to the Olympics(and baking)? ;-)

~Barb,
Oh, I don't like to think that all dreams are bad--I like to think of it as our brain cells making a creative soup every night. :-) You never know what you'll get in your bowl.

~Anastasia,
I can imagine that the croissants must have gotten all limp and lost all their flakiness in the microwave.
Lunch on a veranda sounds heavenly...and about 2(or 3?) months away for me!

~ Rosemary,
I remember when microwaves were the "next big thing" and there were cookbooks that told you how to make chicken dishes and bake cakes in them--never trusted that at all(although I have perfected cooking oatmeal in the microwave)