Sunday, March 7, 2010

Did you know...?


Because it's Oscar night tonight(don't think I'll be watching this year, though), I thought some movie-related trivia might be appropriate for today:
Cinderella has been made into a movie more times than any other story

***
It was the sight of Clark Gable peeling a raw carrot with a penknife, then munching on it(as he attempted to teach Claudette Colbert how to hitchhike) in It Happened One Night that inspired Warner Brothers animator Bob Clampett to give Bugs Bunny his signature carrot chomp.

***
The sight of oranges in all three Godfather films signals that death(or a close call) is about to happen.

***
Peter Sellers modeled his portrayal of Inspector Clouseau--particularly the mustache and the proud stance--after Captain Matthew Webb, the first person to swim the English Channel.

***
In The Graduate, the parts of Benjamin Braddock and Mrs. Robinson(Anne Bancroft) were originally offered to Robert Redford and Doris Day.


***
The title role in Beetlejuice was written for Sammy Davis Jr.
***
All of the still photos of Forrest Gump picture him with his eyes closed.


***
22 cigarettes are smoked in Casablanca.

***
In Pulp Fiction, the word f**k is used 257 times.


***
Despite its 216-minute running time, Lawrence of Arabia has no women in speaking roles. And conversely, in 1939's The Women, there were no male roles throughout the entire film.

***

The signature line drawing of Alfred Hicthcock's profile was drawn by Alfred Hitchcock.

***


The stabbing sound the knife makes in the shower scene in Psycho is in fact the sound of a knife stabbing a melon.


***
To make things easier while mixing the American Graffiti sound track, George Lucas and sound designer Walter Murch labeled all the reels of film R and all the dialogue tracks D, and then numbered each of them sequentially, starting with 1. When Murch later asked Lucas for Reel 2, Dialogue 2--or more precisely, R2, D2--Lucas liked the way it sounded so much that he made a note of the name for another project he was writing.
***
* from Who Knew? Things You Didn't Know
About Things You Know Well, by David Hoffman

18 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting trivia. I cannot see Robert Redford and Doris Day playing those roles though.

Anastasia Marou said...

I'll never forget Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind!He was brilliant! As for the Oscars may the best get the trophy!

cheatymoon said...

The only thing I enjoy about watching the Oscars is the pretty dresses on the red carpet. Otherwise... i'm not much into movies, ha.
:-) But those are interesting facts.
Happy Sunday.

Gal Friday said...

~Doreen,
Robert Redford, maybe...but Doris Day as Mrs Robinson??!

~Anastasia,
So many good movies and actors get overlooked at these award ceremonies, though.

~ Erin,
I haven't seen a single movie this year that has been nominated(except for "Up" and Meryl Streep in "Julie & Julia"). Not a big movie goer here, either. I also like checking out the stars in their clothes(usually the next day online, though)

Content in a Cottage said...

That was so interesting. I love the one about R2D2 the best. I'll be watching tonight too. Have a great day, Rosemary

Gal Friday said...

~Rosemary,
I know..isn't that so interesting about R2-D2?!
I *might* change my mind and wind up watching some of the Oscars--it is strangely fascinating.(I also have the movie "Paper Moon" with Tatum O'Neil on DVD to watch, too--which will I choose?)

The Social Frog said...

Hello!
Great trivia! I myself never watch the Oscars, I try but get bored.

Clare said...

WOW. That was some great trivia there. I only knew about the Godfather and orange connection. All the others are new info. that I can tell my father. (A trivia nut)Did you know that the actor who played Fredo (he died) was either engaged or married to Meryl Streep?

I am going to half/watch the Oscars if that makes sense. It is going to be a predictable year and so if R. distracts me that will be okay. I adore Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin so I will have the television on for that reason alone

creative kerfuffle said...

i LOVE stuff like this, really love it. as for the oscars, i'm not watching. i thought about it because i think i've actually seen some of the movies that are up for awards, but to be honest, i don't so much care. i've never been a big award watcher. i do love all of the trivia though : )

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Hmmm… quite a lot of new facts!

Zuzana said...

Thank you for this trivia!
I was surprised that only 22 cigarettes were smoked in Casablanca.;)
I did not watch the Oscars (too late to stay up) but it seems that Avatar did not do that well.;)) Judging from he news.;)
Have a lovely Monday dear Tina,
xo
Zuzana

Janet said...

maybe that's why my old office mate is afraid of oranges!

vdesheva said...

Great post, Tina!!!:)Especially for a great movie lover as me!!!:) Thanks!!!:)

The Gal Herself said...

I'd heard that about Redford. Legend has it that Mike Nichols told him, "You don't look like you were never laid."

I must thank you for letting me use that bit of trivia that's been rolling around in my brain for DECADES!

Gal Friday said...

~RoseAnn,
I know--I find the Oscars pretty boring, too(and I usually get so sleepy).

~Clare,
Well, you were right. The Oscars were pretty predictable this year. Ho hum. I hope you enjoyed the Martin/Baldwin banter, if you did manage to watch.

~c.k.,
Same here--I rarely will sit through an entire awards show. But, my sister LOVES them and tries to watch any kind of awards show.

~Bhavesh,
I think trivia is pretty much universally irresistable. And, unlike jokes, I can usually remember it and retell it later.
:-)

~Zuzana,
I had a lovely Monday after all..thanks! Who knows why Avatar didn't do that well?! I have not been too interested in seeing this film(Avatar) but after today, I think I must see it. My 71 year old mother told me she loved it and told me I really should see it!

~Janet,
Ooohh..that makes me think of the mother in that Joanne Harris book, "Five Quarters Of The Orange"!!

~Vessie,
Hello my Bulgarian Film Fanatic friend!
Is there a big awards show for movies that is broadcast in your country?(other than Cannes?)

~Gal,
And I must thank YOU for telling me that bit of trivia about Redford and Nichols!! Ha..ha...

vdesheva said...

Yes, they do broadcast all the big and popular award shows for movies/TV, etc. here too!!!:) I saw the Oscars but I was rather disappointed that 'The Hurt Locker' got the Best Movie award... I found it too boring so gave up watching after the first half an hour or so...:((( And this is something which happens rarely to me...:((( I haven't seen all the other nominated movies (yet;)), but 'Inglourious Basterds' and 'Avatar' were much better in my humble opinion...;)

Anastasia Marou said...

I couldn't agree more with you, Tina, yet I was glad my favourite actress - Sarah Bulock - won an Oscar! She deserved it. I didn't watch the Oscars due to time difference. But I think they'll be on again on Sunday afternoon, so I hope to make time and watch the ceremony. I can't believe ...Avatar was nominated!

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia & Vessie,
I wasn't going to see "Avatar"--wasn't remotely interested, but...my own 71 year old mother told me the other day that I MUST see it. She loved it, and I suppose if my mother recommends a movie, I should see it, right? ;-)
As for Sandra Bullock--I have long been a fan of hers in comedic roles. I have yet to see the movie she was in that got her awarded the Oscar, though.