Monday, March 1, 2010

Wake Up And Smell The Monday Coffee


A morning without coffee is like sleep.

~Author Unknown

******

Decaffeinated coffee is the devil's blend.

~Author Unknown

*******

He was my cream, and I was his coffee -And when you poured us together, it was something.

~Josephine Baker

******

I've just arrived in New York City. What a place! Just smell those skyscrapers. Had breakfast at a little deli on Ninth Avenue. Cheese Danish and a cup of coffee, black as a moonless night. Hit the spot.

~From the television show Twin Peaks by David Lynch

********

Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven.

~Jessi Lane Adams

****


Just around the corner,

There's a rainbow in the sky.

So let's have another cup o' coffee,

And let's have another piece o' pie.

- Irving Berlin, 1932
****
*
**With my first Monday cup of coffee at hand(freshly brewed from our spanking new white coffee maker), I am inspired to talk about that addictive caffeinated aromatic elixir...again! (Jan. 24, 2009 blog entry) (and also inspired by Arty's coffee blog)
It's the one constant routine thing in my adult life.
A simple little addiction that I don't feel ashamed about. In fact, I remember reading that freshly brewed coffee is actually good for your health(a Japanese study) and that was all I had to hear.
Oh sure--if I was told by a doctor I had to stop drinking coffee because of a medical reason, I could stop. I did it with my two pregnancies with no problem.
When I first bought a Braun coffee maker(probably a much better made one than the "made-in-China" contraption I just picked up at Benny's) for myself as a 20-something, living on my own for the first time, that was when I officially felt like an adult.
I can still hear the gurgling and sighing sound the machine made and the resulting coffee aroma filling that darkened kichen that day and how my two housemates were gathered around, ready with their mugs! (Until then, I had never even known how to make coffee--it was either made for me by relatives or bought at Dunkin Donuts.) It really was exciting!
Silly, I know...but coffee makes me happy. Makes me able to get on with yet another routine (or maybe not so routine) day.



18 comments:

Jack said...

It just so happens I am enjoying a fresh brewed java as I'm reading your post this Monday morning.

Mmmm, Coffee...

Gal Friday said...

~Mornin', Jack!
I'm on my second cup now, and just about ready to leave the house for the day.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

LOVE coffee and didn't come to even drink it until I was 37 and then only flavored to death. Now I just love coffee.

I splurged on one that wakes me up by the beans grinding and it smells like heaven.

I've had today's limit ....damn it.
Is it too early for my 2nd favorite beverage?....wine?

Content in a Cottage said...

Forever: Time it takes to brew the first pot of coffee in the morning. ~Author Unknown

I am enjoying my first cup and it's delicious. Have a great week.

xo, Rosemary

Claus said...

There was a Coffee farmers convention over the weekend in Guatemala. People from all over came. Interesting how much coffee is liked, and I that have it at hand, don't drink it!! :-o
Interestingly, I cannot leave without my daily orange juice!...or now plantain juice, with lots of iron, good for us women :-)
Have a great day!!
*hugs

Zuzana said...

I love coffee too, so this post was great!
I have recently acquired a new coffee maker, that have moved coffee making into the new century. It is the Senseo type that takes coffee pods.
I am not sure how easily I could get off my addition though, I get terrible headaches if I do not get at least one cup a day.
Loved the Baker quote.
xo
Zuzana

The Gal Herself said...

Special Agent Dale Cooper loved a good cuppa Joe, didn't he? I adored that character. Thanks for reminding me.

SandraG said...

One of my husband's favourite (and oft repeated) expressions is: "Drinking decaffeinated coffee is like kissing your sister."

Coffee up here is getting VERY expensive. It has gone up almost 40% for a bag of coffee beans in the past month. Don't know what we'll drink if it keeps going up. Or. perhaps I should say, what we'll give up so we can keep drinking the stuff!

Manders said...

....craving coffee...

cheatymoon said...

I didn't start drinking coffee until I hit 30... now I can't live without it. I drink 1/2 caffeinated so I can have more. It's a bad addiction. Yummmmmm.

vdesheva said...

Thank you for this lovely post, Tina!!!:) As a coffee addict, I enjoyed it to the fullest!!!:) In fact I just finished my first cup for the day /strong espresso with some sugar and milk which I'm always having at the office while checking my mail and my day simply can't start without this little tradition of mine/ and I'm going to have another one at lunch /during my hubby's lunch break we always meet for a cup of coffee and this is our special time as a couple for the day/...:) So coffee palys an important role in my daily routine...:)

Kate said...

mmm.... I usually have just one cup a day, in the morning, and I savour every drop. I enjoyed your post... but now I want a second cup! ;-)

Carole Poirot said...

Nothing like a fresh cup of coffee on an early morning sitting outside at a brasserie in Paris watching the world go by... Thanks for your birthday wishes, that was so very sweet and very much appreciated :-)

cessie said...

Wow I have to be patient with your blog at the moment, it takes a loooong time before I can read/comment. But here I am again, planning to read some more tonight. If it takes too long I will try again later... but I will be back. So you know lol.

What's with coffee at the moment? Everyone is talking about coffee right now. Must be the time of the year. Not so easy to get out of bed these days so coffee is needed lol.

I like coffee too although I still start the day with my earl grey tea. But do go for a stronggg coffee (espresso) at one of the coffee corners later in the day.

Enjoy your coffee :))

Anastasia Marou said...

I can't imagine starting my day without two mugs of freshly ground and freshly brewed morning coffee. And an espresso just after lunch. Funnily enough, I don't like Greek coffee but I do like the Greek National Coffee called "frappé" It's easy to make. Just add a teaspoonful of instant coffee in a shaker. Add some cold water and/or milk and sugar to taste, shake it well and serve in tall glasses with some ice cubes and a straw. Try it on a hot summer day. I'm sure you'll love it!

Carole Poirot said...

I was checking for a new post, but saw your new profile pic instead, love it! :-)

j said...

There are a few simple things I love - blankets, for instance. Fuzzy socks. When Lexi sleeps on my feet when I work... And coffee. Especially the first cup of the morning.

Gal Friday said...

~Peg,
Wine could be my 2nd fav. beverage as well! ;-)

~Rosemary,
Another good quoate!! And so true, too.

~Claus,
Plantain juice--now there is something I have never tried!

~Zuzana,
Yes, I get a little headache-y, too, if I try to stop drinking coffee. But, I only drink two cups a day, at the most, so I'll keep on doing it.

~T.G.H.(hey! another "Gal"!),
It seems SO long ago that that show was on TV....

~Sandra,
And...another good coffee quoate!!
Yes, I feel like coffee is a bit indulgent, with the price, but I would be willing to cut out some other things, before giving up good coffee.

~Manders,
Coffee is a busy mother's friend, isn't it?

~Erin,
There are much worse things than coffee to be addicted to, is my view. ;-)

~Vessie,
Wow! Espresso--I could never aquaire a taste for something that strong, myself.

~Kate,
I say I drink two cups a day, but usually with my running around in the morning after the first cup(which is my "savouring" cup), I let most of that cup go cold and forgotten(usually on the bedroom dresser).

Mlle. Poirot,
I would love to experience a cup of coffee that way(in Paris) one day!!

~Marcelle,
Thanks you for taking the time to even try to "get in" my blog!!
I like knowing that about you--that you sip Earl Grey tea in the morning. I can only enjoy tea as my mid-morning drink or in the afternoon.

~Anastasia,
Your Greek "frappe" sounds delicious! Sort of like the "iced" coffees they sell here.

~Hello again, Mlle. Poirot!
I am glad you noticed my new "look"!

~Judy,
I love fuzzy socks, too--just looking at them makes me happy(my daughter was wearing a striped pair in the house last night).