Sunday, April 18, 2010

A photo tour ...

Another photo tour of Wickford--seems like I make it over there to walk around most weekends. Already, there is a touch more softening green seen in this harbor view(compare it to the photo I took of it just a few weeks ago...)

I am always taking photos of doors no matter where I go. This time--a red one and it seems whoever lives behind it hasn't been home in a while.
A fairly iconic image, I think--the metal mail box and the white picket fence.
There is a man sitting on the porch of the house beyound the gate and the first garden. I hope he didn't mind my getting him in the photo.
Poor cute doggies! My dog would never stand to be seen in a get-up like this.

Corner of Main and Brown..............
Two of my favorite houses in the village.....
Antique toy soldiers seen through a front window...........
The Old Narragansett Church, built in 1707. Yes, it's a church (no steeple, I know...) with box pews inside and a cool old wineglass pulpit and an organ built in 1680(sent over from England by Queen Anne) , which is among the oldest organs still used in services(Episcopal) in the United States.
Another view, from near the old cemetary.

15 comments:

Janet said...

I love the shot with the bicycle in it...the style of bike really fits! And those dogs LOL!

Jack said...

Loved taking that little stroll with you in your neighbourhood. What are lovely area you live!

Kate said...

I love the picture of the church with the chalk writing in the foreground, charming :)

I take a lot of pictures of doors, too, and sometimes windows... I keep wondering what to do with them all!

creative kerfuffle said...

you have the greatest eye! i love this photo tour. thanks for sharing! i should do this in our town sometime soon.

Clare said...

I loved this photo walk. Thank you. I especially like the picture with the two houses and the doggies with the spring getup made me smile.

Zuzana said...

Lovely images.;) Thank you for sharing your walk with us.;) I love the dogs with the yellow daffodils.;)
I also love the one of the mailbox.;)
xo

Manders said...

What a lovely place. I am going to have to visit your side of the country sometime. So much history. I love history!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Love the photo's!
Living down here for 10 yrs I forgot how less green it is up north right now.

Makes me so miss the north - now I'm homesick!

Claus said...

What an eye for photographs!! They are simply gorgeous (especially the one of the cute doggies!).
I like the simplicity of the church, and how pristine it looks: immaculate white and lively green around.
Thanks for sharing!

Arty said...

The photos are beautiful. It's a beautiful town.
I love the wooden arch at the entrance of the man's garden.
You rarely see pretty things like that here.

cheatymoon said...

I'd love to go for a walk down that way... So quaint and pretty.

Love that first shot, and the dogs are really sweet. I am trying my best to hold off getting a puppy. That's the sort I'd like, though. :-)

Patricia said...

I always take photos of doors and door knobs, I loved doors in London, so colourful and the knobs in Italy...and I like to wonder abou the people living behind them...:)

Content in a Cottage said...

I loved the photo tour of your delightful New England surrounds, especially the Old Narragansett Church. Webster would never stand being decorated either, at least not in public. Great post, Rosemary.

Gal Friday said...

~Janet,
I really wish I had gotten a shot of the lady with the FOUR Bassett Hounds on the leash...

~ Jack,
This isn't my "neighborhood"(I live in a housing development with house built in the 70's), but the village up the road(and where I went to high school).

~Kate,
It would be a good idea to somehow collect all the door(and window) photos into a collection(I have seen posters of doors from certain cities before)

~c.k.,
Thank you for the compliment! I would love to view a "tour" of your town, sometime.

~Clare,
The dogs didn't sem to mind their "decorations" and were very sweet(as was the woman who said I could photograph them)

~Zuzana,
the mailbox photo is my personal favorite. :-)

~ Amanda,
Every place has history--I am sure where you live has it's own interesting "story" and scenic places.

~Peg,
We are actually ahead(about two weeks) this spring(a mild late winter) so I think it's really green and lush right now. I think I would be shocked if I saw how much more is growing further south from here.

~Claus,
I hadn't thought of it that way until you pointed out the "simplicity" of the church, and yes, you are right--there is something special about the simple beauty of that old building.

~Arty,
I might try going back to that arch later in the summer to see if there is anything growing over it.

~Erin,
Those dogs are Bichons--I think they are a super friendly and easy-going type breed. Hmmmm,I wonder if you'll be getting dog... soon.(although, personally, I don't know if I could ever go through raising a crazy puppy again)

Patrica,
Doorknobs! Now, there's another good idea for future photographic journeys(although, I think there might be more interesting and older doorknobs in Europe than here)

Rosemary,
I might try to get inside the church some time this summer, to get some views of the interior(it is used only in the warm months--no heat)

Barb said...

Your town is so quaint and pretty! i like the arbor shot.