Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Early Spring Wickford Stroll - Redux

Before the latest deluge, I spent a sunny, crisp and cold Saturday morning (last weekend) walking the streets of Wickford, after meeting my sister for breakfast(we ended up eating at some crazy redneck diner that was attached to a liquor store!! I swear I thought I saw someone drinking a beer with their breakfast at a table when we first walked in, too..) What's interesting to me is that almost a year ago, I spent a Saturday doing the same thing and blogged about it here, with photos. So, these photos turned out somewhat the same, since it's before Easter as in the April 4th blog from last year.
Even though it was cold, many of the shops had their doors open wide to let the fresh spring air in, and flowers, books and gifts for sale, set up outside on the sidewalk.
Walking down Brown Street towards Main.

A view from inside the shop, Different Drummer--a place I seem to think has been in business since I was in high school. At one time(eons ago), this shop used to sell these handpainted brooches I used to make.


This wooden mermaid is offering a "pearl" of a ball of yarn on the steps of a yarn shop called The Mermaid's Purl.
The window box in front of Village Reflections--another shop that has been in business forever--same nice owner (she told me she's been there for 26 years), with always affordable cotton clothing and gorgeous(and affordable, as well) jewelery.
Easter, right around the corner......







12 comments:

Barb said...

What cute boutique shops! I saw news coverage of the flooding in RI. I hope your area doesn't have devastating damage.

Gal Friday said...

~Barb,
It's not too bad in my neighborhood(just a lot of houses pumping out their basements), but other places such as the town where my husband teaches are very bad with flooding and washed out roads and collapsed bridges.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

what a lovely little town. I would love to live where there is a Main Street.

So are you watching the game on Sunday night? I am betting on your team winning unfortunately for me....we're old and slow starters like last year. :-)

Kate said...

I want to go to Wickford! Looks like a lovely place to poke around. Love the mermaid!

I love your new springy blog header too! :)

Carole Poirot said...

Those pictures look lovely and so idyllic, makes me want to leave London tomorrow. Thanks for your lovely comments today, I believe that everybody was ok but somehow the smallest incident in this country always has the biggest consequences ;-) Hope you have a lovely Easter. Love from London C x

Jack said...

I have been following on the news. It's just crazy the amount of rain and flooding you guys are having. I hope the worst is over for your little state, and cleanup is underway.

Great photos! Love the new header image too :)

Keep dry,
Jack♥

cheatymoon said...

Happy Spring and Easter, T. Love the photos... hope it's getting dried out. xo

~ said...

It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful stroll in Wickford! It looks like my kind of place!! :)

Hope things are drying out nicely there in RI. It is reaching near 85 in my area today!! Spring seems to have passed straight into summmer. :(

Take care, Gal Friday.

vdesheva said...

Thank you for making me a part of another lovely Wickford stroll, Tina!!!:) I loved it as much as last year's one!!!:) *hugs*

Zuzana said...

Oh, I am a bit late with my comment but I truly enjoyed these incredibly stunning collages! I also love your new header and I have to say taht I am very intrigued by the fragrance bottle on your side bar.;) I just love the packaging, it makes me feel like that could be a very fresh scented perfume, even though I am completely unfamiliar with it.;)
xoxo
Zuzana

Claus said...

Your pictures reflect how I picture in my mind the New England area. And for some reason, I think "Autumn" (??!) Very lovely pictures Tina. I hope this area and yours were not much damaged with all the flooding that was on the news last week. I thought of you and prayed that you and yours were OK.

creative kerfuffle said...

as always, your photos are wonderful. makes me feel like i'm there. i love the one of the mermaid best : ) great name!