
We seem to frame a lot of maps at my work.
Nautical charts, antique maps(once, a German one from the 1600's, but there wasn't even a "Germany" then), souvenir maps, world maps, etc. Like the customers who bring them to us to frame, I love maps and can't help wasting some time looking over them whenever one comes in.
This one--of northern Aroostook County in Maine had me dreaming of going there, as I read the names of the lakes and rivers and towns. Even though I lived in Maine until I was ten, and have visited there a number of times since moving, I have never been north of Jackman, so am interested in the still fairly "wild" ever more northern parts parts of this state.
One place name in particular caught my eye as I looked over the map.
A place west of the Allagash River.....

..and to the east of the St. John River....can you see it?

Lake Ugh!

9 comments:
Possibly a place for a summer adventure?
I love exploring maps too and often find I daydream quite a bit while wandering through all the towns, valleys, rivers and shores... so much fun.
Named by someone who preferred city life, perhaps?
~Jack,
I don't know...this place is really out in the boonies(I'm thinking logging roads and/or accessable by plane only?)but there IS something intriguing about a lake named Ugh. :-)
I feel exactly the same way as you about places viewed from a map!
~Sandra,
Ha..ha! Maybe..(although, it is probably some Abenaki name)
I LOVE maps. Have a few framed in my house (do it yourself frames, not fancy like yours).
I'm dying to explore up north. I haven't really done much - In 1992 I drove to Nova Scotia, but just drove through up north.
Other half and I want to hike Gulf Hagas at the Katadhin Iron Works. It's 3ish hours away and still not that far north.
OK, I'm done blogging in your comments spot. :-)
If you go to Lake Ugh make sure Rachel wears her Uggs. They are probably required footwear there.
xo, Rosemary
Oh, I remember how much you enjoy maps.;) It is so interesting that people frame them in.;) This one is so interesting and i agree on the intriguing names.;)
Have you ever heard of Waldseemüller Map?
Have a great day dear Tina,
xo
Erin,
I would love to do a drive up to N.S. someday, too(in 1990, I drove north to Quebec thru Maine, but up through Jackson)! I don't know if I am "outdoorsy" enough to handle the whole area of Katadhin and north, though, but a part of me does want to experience it once, too.
~Rosemary,
You had me laughing out loud when I read this comment of you's when I got home yesterday!
~Zuzana,
I had first learned about the Waldseemuller map from YOU!! So cool...
What a curious name!
"where are you going? UGH!" :-))
Like maps too, but adore globes.
Ugh Lake doesn't sound so appealing though. I bet it's prettier than it's name...or I hope so.
Years ago in my husbands home office we took maps from everywhere we've lived and torn them up and then made wall paper below the chair rail. All directions. It turned out so damn cool. We got compliments from the realtor when it was time to sell. I thought for sure we'd have to take it down and paint but she and her staging team thought it was great. Just an idea for all your maps. We too love maps.
Post a Comment