Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Five on the 5th



This time it's five of my most unusual perfume bottles. (to read a "Five on the 5th" about my town from exactly a year ago, go here.)
Starting off with this (now discontinued?) fragrance with a modified KISS logo(there was a matching fragrance for men, too) which, being that my husband is a Kiss fan, I simply had to order and buy, unsniffed. It's just too cool and definitely a collector's piece.
And, it's not a bad smell-- surprisingly soft and gentle, but sort of bland. I had expected this would have been some over-the-top, strong scent and in a way, I wish it were. I don't wear this one much, and there is a certain note--something too synthetic maybe?-that really starts to bug me when I have had it on too long. Thankfully, it wears off pretty fast. But, I still like having this in my collection, for the sheer novelty of it.
The bottle is a Dali-inspired surrealistic glass nose(the cap) and lips. The scent is, like the Kiss fragrance, just ....okay to my nose. Which illustrates the point that you can't judge a perfume by the bottle alone. Laguna is airy and aquatic with a salty note to it that I could do without. I have only had this since the fall, so it might smell differently(and hopefully better) on me in the warmer summer months.



3. Just Me - Claude Montana
Now, this one I absolutely love! It's starts off a little sharp when I first spray it, but then it settles down to soft and spicy- like honeyed leather, with notes of pineapple, jasmine and chocolate, too.. Quite unusual and very sexy. I get positive comments when I wear this one(not often enough--I don't know if it's really appropriate for work)
The glass bottle is so cool because of the zipper, and the Claude Montana logo zipper pull that dangles down from the cap.


4. Ginger Lotus- Prince Matchabelli
A drugstore cheapie(now discontinued) that has this strange "lying-on-it's-side" shape. I like how my fingers fit into the curves on the top of the bottle when I hold it to spray it. I like spritzing this on after an evening shower. It is a clean, softly spicy scent(because of the ginger?) that relaxes me when I wear it.
Liquid sunshine in a beautiful sunburst design bottle. This is such a "happy" scent and perfect for spring. A not-too-floral, yet feminine mix of citrus, pear, apricot and floral notes with a musk, amber, sandalwood, cedar and vanilla base.








10 comments:

cheatymoon said...

This is a fun post. :-)

Janet said...

You're the only one I've ever "met" who has Laguna! I bought it when I lived in Japan in the mid 90s, as much for the bottle as for the scent!

Zuzana said...

I recognize the Salvador Dali bottle (big lips;), but am completely unfamiliar with the rest of the fragrances.;) But they do sound intriguing.;) Love the bottles too;)
What a very nicely *scented* post, mmm.
xo

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Prince Matchabelli - WOW I haven't heard that name since I was a kid.

I love the 5 things from your town too.

Manders said...

Don't know any of these. I have fallen in love with "Paris" from Avon. (Yes, I have very expensive tastes LOL!!)

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I saw Colin Firth at the Oscars with his wife. I, too, was a bit disappointed that he is married. Although, as my hubby said, he is old enough to be my father. Does that matter, really? ;-)

Carole Poirot said...

Lovely post and very weird since in my post today I was bemoaning the fact that I miss some of my old perfume bottles...how peculiar... The KISS one is particularly - er - retro? ;-) Love from London x

creative kerfuffle said...

you have the most descriptive way with words. i could almost smell these scents through your words. i have always loved anais anais, though the bottle isn't that exciting. i also love opium, but haven't had any for years.

Arty said...

I like how you can describe each scent with suchease. I wouldn't be able to do that. Never was good at describing words.

They certainly are unusual bottles.

Unknown said...

wow! quite the collection of perfumes you have. the Kiss one is priceless. I am not familiar with any of the scents. very unique containers also.

Gal Friday said...

~ Erin,
Glad you enjoyed this--I had, fun, too, dragging these perfumes out of their boxes and arranging them on my dresser together.

~Janet,
You story of how you aquired your botle of "Laguna" is far better than mine(I bought it from a seller at Amazon)

~ Zuzana,
What a nice comment from "scent"-sational blogger/friend. :-)

~Peg,
I know what you mean--you don't see Prince Matchbelli products around much anymore...


~Manders,
I don't know "Paris" fragrance from Avon(although I think there is one by the same name from Yves St. Laurent), but I love many other Avon perfumes. Cheap or not, I get the most compliments when I am wearing an Avon fragrance(I guess "cheap" suits me well..heh..heh..)
Too funny that we both experinced that sinking (and disillusioned?) feeling when we saw Firth with a...wife?!

~Mlle. Poirot,
I must come on over and read that entry of your's(May 6)! The "Kiss" perfumes came out in 2006, actually, so not retro, yet.(I don't think they did so well--as I suppose they would have only appealed to die-hard Kiss fans, not all of which might even wear perfume)


c.k.
Anais Anais always gave me a slight headache, yet if I smell it, I am instantly transported back to the early 80's(so many of my friends wore it)!
Same with Opium--but it takes me back in time to the LATE 80's. My boss at the time doused herself in it! Those were the good ole' days before all the anti-perfume backlash. I can't imagine anyone now wearing something so strong(but very pleasant to my nose)in a workplace.

~Arty,
To tell the truth, I feel I am NOT so good at describing the scents in words, but I gave it my best shot.

~Doreen,
Yes, I HAD to have that Kiss bottle for the fun of it! :-)