Saturday, May 22, 2010

Overheard....


... at the supermarket this evening:

Market employee:(unloading yogurt cartons):

"Hey guys, I gotta get outta here. Ya have to finish this without me.

I got my friends from Russia coming in and I have to pick them up at the train station.

Oh, man, this is going to be some night!"
*******
Well, looks like some people are having(or going to be having )a wild and crazy night.
Not me.
For one thing--I was grocery shopping on a Saturday night! Woo hoo!
This, after dropping off my daughter at a bonfire birthday party--invitation read "from 7 to 11". Now it's to the point where she is out later than I am(Mr. F is going to go and bring her home).
But that's okay. The Celtics and Sox are winning (so far),
I have some wine(the last of the Black Box "boxed" Chardonnay),
finished off some frozen pizza(Freschetta thin crust "Italian Style"--not bad at all),
....and then Whitman Sampler chocolates for dessert.
I was talking about those Whitman mini assorted chocolate boxes the other day, reminiscing about when that was a no-brainer Christmas gift you got from the neighbors or the Girl Scout leader at Christmas time. According to Wikipedia(I know, I know..I should not be relying on Wikipedia), Whitman's chocolates first introduced the "... perennially popular and still best selling Whitman's Sampler in 1912. This marked the first use of cellophane by the candy industry".
And then I actually saw a box--slightly smaller than I think it used to be, but with the same familiar yellow box design--at the Stop n' Shop tonight when I was shopping. So, of course, I had to buy a box(for a dollar and a half).
Oh yeah...living the low life(frozen pizza, box wine and bad chocolate all in one evening) and I'm actually okay with that.
*For the record, being the chocolate snob that I am, while I did consume and enjoy two of the chocolates from the Whitman "sampler" box which I shared with Mr. F(my selections were a chocolate nougat, the other a dark chocolate with coconut filling), I won't be buying Whitman chocolates again for a long time. It was fine for a trip down chocolate memory lane tonight, but I don't need to do that again any time soon.

13 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Cute. I agree -if I'm going to have chocolate - it needs to be good.

Carole Poirot said...

Awww, you make me laugh... so funny. My Saturday evening went: get home from market at 7pm, have some ready-bought (can't be bothered to cook after a whole day at the market) spicy chicken wings, falafel and dips, two glasses of wine and fall asleep in front of the tv by 9pm...yay (boyfriend out working - playing bass guitar in a band)! See, at least you had chocolate, that beats my Saturday eve by a mile as far as excitement goes... ;-D Milka is the best for some childhood cheap memories...ahhh. Love from London x

Barb said...

Just the thought of the coconut candy kind of makes my teeth ache. But, I'd have a glass of that wine and a slice of pizza with you...

Barb said...

PS I like that cart photo - were they looking at you funny?

Anastasia said...

I also went shopping at the supermarket on Saturday - something I rarely enjoy doing on a Saturday - but I needed some groceries for our long weekend. I ended up buying some Movenpick chocolate ice cream which was not on my list!

Zuzana said...

I am sure Saturday night grocery shopping must be quit relaxing,as there is no one there. I would be so happy if our grocery stores were open 24/7, but they are not. They close at 8pm and keep closed Sundays. It i called the *closing law* and is a source of a lot of debate in the government as many want it abolished.
I for one would love grocery shop in the evenings, even on Saturday.;) Or really early Sunday morning, when I have the shop to myself.;) That is what I did when I lived in NC.
I love that picture of you on the sidebar, you look so young! If I did that tilting with my head, all the old, wrinkly skin on my face would move downwards and make me look really bad.;) Hehe.;))
Have a great Monday,
xoxo

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You're a hoot. That wine in the box, the frozen pizza and the cheap chocolate - my husband would call you a great date. :-)

Still better than my Saturday entertaining a new neighbor who invited herself over. She did bring great wine and chocolate though. But I am beginning to think that I perfer being a anti-social.

Claus said...

Grocery shopping on a Saturday night sounds good; not very crowded I suppose, so that's already a positive thing :-))

People around me seems to have chocolate on their mind; third person that mentions chocolate in some way or another. Now I want some!!, but I'm not allowed on the week; only on the weekends. A rule of mine to have some "control". :-)

Gal Friday said...

~Erin,
Yeah, I veered off course there quite abit with the Whiman stuff, but yes, "Life is too short to eat bad chocolate"!

~Mlle. Poirot,
That was one long day you had on Sat.! Ooohh... I still love Milka(w/ the violet colored wrapper) chocolate.

~Barb,
Not a fan of sweeteded coconut and cheap cocolate, I take it? ;-)
The photo isn't mine--it's a free stock photo from stockxchange.com(I suppose I should give a credit under the photo...)

~Anastasia,
I found the Saturday eveing shopping quite relaxing(because most people seem to have better things to do on a Sat. night)

~Zuzana,
I kind of like that Denmark still keeps "old-fashioned" business hours. It used to be that way here, too...a long time ago. Of course, I have gotten used to the convenience of shopping at all hours.
Gee...thanks for the kind comment about my photo. Funny--I see how OLD my neck looks in that photo(all bony). I guess we always see the owrst in ourtselves, and I am certain you do not look old and wrinkly!

Gal Friday said...

~Peg,
I don't know which is worse--an unfriendly neighbor, or a "too friendly" neighbor.

~Claus,
Chocolate on weekends only...I don't know if I could stick to that rule.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember Whitman chocolates!!! So they are still around, huh? I'm not fussy at all, any chocolate is good by me...

Most recently I've been having those Hershey Bliss chocolates that just melt in your mouth... mmm. Just need a little something after dinner.

I do love Ferrero Rocher hazlenut chocolates.

I would go for those same choices out of the Whitman's box I think.

Well enough about chocolate... LOL.

I'd be perfectly happy with the frozen pizza, wine and chocolate too!

Jack said...

I'm with you on the chocolate too... got to be the good kind.

My mom offered up several bottles of home made wine the other night and I turned them down stating - "I am off the home made wine"... she didn't understand anyone could refuse "good home made wine".

Gal Friday said...

~Duskie,
Those Ferraro choco. hazelnut balls are dangerous(I could eat the whole package of them in one sitting!)

~Jack,
Hmmmm...homemade wine. I have never had it. Is it good...or bad?