...some pretty good things.
Even though I have been working longer days and even have to work today on Saturday, this week(so far) as been a good one. The workplace atmosphere has been very civil--even downright jolly sometimes!
Of course, I feel like my garden is dying slowly from weeds choking it and lack of attention, but my just bloomed feverfew(see above--I took the photo on Monday) are doing great.
An unassuming plant with a funny name and not-so-nice scent, but nothing seems to kill this flower, it spreads (I planted seeds five years ago and have never had to replant since), looks so nice stuck into bouquets(and the scent isn't all that bad) and sticks around until the first frost.
Another good thing, and one I am mildly excited about:
My finding what seems to me the perfect beach book(if I ever get there again!)for the summer.
Kate Morton's "The Forgotten Garden". I was in the bookstore on my lunch break one day this week, returning some books I had bought for Rachel--I thought she needed two books on her summer reading list for school but found out her school had lent her them so she didn't need them. And, I also had a printed out 33% off coupon that Borders/Walden Books sends me from time to time in my e-mail. I happened to spot this book on the shelf and the title drew me to it(maybe because "The Secret Garden" is one of my favorite books?) and when I read the information on the back of the cover of this fat novel(because, of course, all beach/summer books must be at least 550 pages long, right?),
"A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book --- a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and with very little to go on, "Nell" sets out on a journey to England to try to trace her story, to find her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell's death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. At Cliff Cottage, on the grounds of Blackhurst Manor, Cassandra discovers the forgotten garden of the book's title and is able to unlock the secrets of the beautiful book of fairy tales."
..I was hooked and knew I had to buy this book! Even better, with my exchange of the returned books and my coupon, it cost me 60 cents. And, I got a seal of approval from the bookshop salesperson who rang up the purchase. She got excited when she saw my selection and told me she had read it and she would like to re-read it again--it's apparently that good. Now, I cannot wait to begin reading this one.
Earlier this week, another good thing:
my lunch date at the Matunuck Oyster Bar with Mr. F on a sparkling, perfect summer day, dining al fresco, and discovering my new favorite wine--Newport Vineyards Riesling(I bought some bottles already at the wine store to stock up for further summer sipping)
Then, yesterday, I was able to leave work at an earlier, more normal time for a change. On a whim, I decided to head over to Marshall's (just to...look, right?), and once inside I noticed there was a wall and more of bathing suits and cover-ups. Usually, I hate shopping for bathing suits and having to try them on. Last year, out of desperation(my favorite tankini was ruined and too old and I felt I could no longer wear my once favorite bikini now that I was over the mid-40 hump and my belly not so firm as it once was) I chose a one-piece suit which fit me okay and I called my matronly "mom suit". I never really liked it, though.
So, I decided this time, to look over the bathing suits quickly, and discovered a few in what looked to be in my size and they were two-piece "tankinis"(silly name, but I really like how they look). I headed into the dressing room with three possibilities. The first was two loose and frumpy looking. The second fit okay, but I decided was just not "me"(dangling gold bead things at the hip, and this gold medallion embellishment at the chest area. But, the third...was just right! It fit perfectly and I thought flattered my shape. I couldn't believe it! And, it was priced at 14.99!
And finally, another good thing--an impromptu cook-out/supper at some friend's house last night. Nothing fancy--everyone came by with something purchased quickly at the store down the street--corn, pre-made potato salad, come wine, some beer, and some sausage and burgers on the grill. The evening was warm, under a starry sky(and full moon) and it was a nice time spent with a few good people.
Of course, I am greedy and want one more good thing-- I wish I could stay home today and potter around in the yard and watch some of the Wimbledon games, but it's off to work I go.
10 comments:
Sounds like a good week indeed :). The informal get together with friends... I love that, sometimes the simple, unplanned ones are best!
I am just about to start reading The Forgotten Garden! Doesn't it sound good? I can't wait to start it!
The book sounds like a good one. I hope you enjoy reading it.
It's been ages since I sat to read one. Before marriage and the internet, I was an avid reader. Couldn't put the novel down till I finished it.
Sounds like you need a good break from work too! :)
I am going straight to the public library website to see if I can request that book!! Thanks!! I need a new book as I am almost done with the one I am reading!!
Hope you have a good day at work, even though you would rather be at home!
That book sounds like one I would like. Thanks for the recommendation.
lovely flowers!! and you grew them from seeds. great!
book sounds like a movie I saw. ?? the book is always better though. sounds like the kind of book I would buy also.
This summer I promised myself that I'd only read greek books! I feel so embarrassed when my 8 year-olds correct my spelling in Greek whenever I show on the board the new vocabulary! I got two books by Maria Tzirita (Due to work,I missed the presentation of her latest novel when she was in Cyprus a couple of months ago)Ah right, it's about 500 pages each - I hope to finish both at the beach!
I love Riesling - the perfect wine to sip at the veranda or in the garden on cool summer nights. My favourites are Riesling Gewurztraminer and Crémant d'Alsace - Alsace, France.
I'm happy to hear your week's been so good. That book sounds fantastic, much better than some of my chick-lit & the flowers are gorgeous ;-) Love the cherries in your last post too, isn't summer great with all the fresh fruit? Hope your good times last ;-)
Love from London x
PS: Yep, that bike in the background was mine though I haven't used it since I've moved to London - traffic here is just too scary :-)
I found a good functional bathing suit at the same store for $16. Way nicer than the Land's End 'tankini' I got last year for triple the price. Ack.
I haven't been around the blogworld lately... I miss it.
~Kate,
I was delighted to discover we BOTH are reading this book(Forgotten Garden) at the same time. I am about to get into the hammock under the cherry tree outside to contnue on reading it(loving the story so far...)
~Arty,
I read far less than I did when I didn't have a family--I know how it is. But, if you can find this book, I think you'll enjoy it(Morton is an Aussie writer)
~Amanda,
I hope you found the book at your local library.
~Hi P.H.S.T.!
It's pure escapist reading--nothing heavy--perfect for summer reading.
~ Doreen,
the only flowers I have ever been successful with, growing from seed, are sunflowers, cosmos, Cleome, and these feverfew.
~Anastasia,
Have you finished the two books yet? :-) I feel a little foolish, discoering Rieling wine so late in life--better late than never, though, right?
~Mlle. Poirot,
Thanks for such a sunny comment--yes, when life slows down enough(meaning time off from work)to ejoy it, summer is delightful with the heat, shade, beach, foods and cook-outs.
~Erin,
So glad to hear you scored in the bathing suit department, too!
I haven't been around the blog world much lately , either(work, mostly,and this room gets awfully hot so that has kept me away, too)--hope everything is okay up in your neck of the woods(need to catch up on reading your latest blog entries)
The book sounds good indeed! I will have a look whether they already have the digital version (yep I had to switch over since I'm missing out on so many books here and delivery by Amazon just is sooo expensive here).
I love tankini's. I always had problems with bathing suits (body too long so either a size is not fitting because too short or the next size would be too loose) so I was very happy with the addition of tankini's ;)
What kind of colour did you end up with?
I love impromptu cookouts/suppers... it gives so much unexpected joy to a summerish day :)
Post a Comment