Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ahhh...summer...

image courtesy Country Living


I have been working a little more than usual lately and that has turned me into a bit of a cranky beast, so that is why I stayed away from here. I would have kvetched too much about the customers.
"why does everyone want things framed in a rush for weekend company coming when it's summer and most likely everyone is outdoors anyway?
And why do I have to hear 'certain' people complain about the price of custom framing when they are framing something for their SUMMER home and on their cell phone with their cleaning lady?"
Grrr....see what I mean?
Having a few glorious(hot and hotter!) days off in a row finally because of the 4th of July holiday(won't have to go in to work until the 7th of July)
has changed my whole attitude and I am loving the summer again.
This town is a little nuts and overrun with extra people right now. The beaches are a big draw and with the the holiday weekend and hot temps, an even bigger draw. Trying to navigate my way through the beach and Pier area and simply trying to go into town to shop is pretty frustrating.
Yesterday, I saw cars with licence plates from
Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut(the big three around here),
as well as Vermont,
Ontario,
Quebec,
Illinois
and Wisconsin.
Ever since certain fireworks were made legal in this state (a few months ago), it seems everyone is letting off firecrackers(this all started Thursday night in my neighborhood). Luckily, both my cat and dog are not too afraid of the noise.
Last night was a perfect summer night, with clear skies full of stars, and a little bat and firefly action to compete with the fireworks display over the river(a few people do this in our neighborhood every year the night before the 4th).
We'll be leaving the house at around 4:00 this afternoon for a annual cook-out/pool party at a friend's house. They are right next door to a public park where this is a huge fireworks display every year(a pretty impressive one for a small town), so we just sit out on the front yard to watch the show.
I just finished making a pitcher of white Sangria, and making some stuffed pepperoncini peppers(I made these last year and they were scarfed down within fifteen minutes)
Of course, I have to use the good and real Greek kind that are spicy enough, like the Sclafani brand.
Stuffed Pepperoncini

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup minced shallots
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1 tablespoon milk
32 ounces pepperoncini
Directions:
1.
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until bacon is browned. Move bacon to paper towels. Keep bacon drippings.
2.
In drippings, cook shallots and red pepper over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Cook about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
3.
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and milk with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Stir bacon and shallot into the mixture.
4.
Spoon cream cheese mixture into a heavy weight plastic bag. Cut a small hole in one corner to squeeze the filling from. With small knife, cut a slit lengthwise into each pepper. Do not cut the whole way through the pepper. By squeezing the bag, pipe cream cheese mixture into peppers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to one day.

14 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Tina...I enjoyed myself just now catching up on what you've been up to lately. You never fail to entertain me. Have a great fourth and two extra days before you have to go back to work.
xo, Rosemary

Pseudo said...

That recipe made my mouth water.

And the comment about the rich folks complaining about prices made me smile, widely.

SandraG said...

I haven't been on this site for a while. I hope you have a great 4th of July!

Manders said...

Hope you have a great party!!

Barb said...

Have a great vacation from work! I will soon be one of the tourists cluttering your town! My town is full of people, too - I never go down into town unless I have to go to the market.

Anastasia said...

Funny how the description of your town at this holiday weekend sounds pretty much like Larnaca on October 1st (our Indendence day). I'm very curious to try your stuffed pepperoncini! I'm sure Alkis will love them!

Gal Friday said...

~Rosemary,
Thank you! :-) (I am REALLY enjoying my days off lately, inspite of the heat....)

~Pseudo,
Yep, it's hard to take some of the customers sometimes, but then..I would not have a job without them, either.

~Sandra,
I was just thinking about your absence the other day!! Keeping cool?

~Amanda, thank you! The party and fireworks were perfect.

Barb,
That is what we do on weekends, pretty much--stay home!(my backyard is cool and shady)
Will you actually BE in my town?? Where do you depart for Martha's Vinyard from?

~Anastasia,
So you know how it can get when the tourists and daytrippers come!
The recipe is very easy(you can even spoon the mixture into the peppers--but use a tiny spoon).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Can't wait to make this recipe!!

And I had to laugh about the customers. I live with this too. Funny if I didn't want to hit 'em.

Hope your summer is beautiful.
Thx for the recipe.

cheatymoon said...

Glad you have a few days off in a row.
We were in NH for the fourth, where all manner of firework is legal. We were overrun with semi-unsafe backyard firework displays.
Enjoy your last day off!! xo

Gal Friday said...

~Peg,
I hope you'll like this recipe if you try making it--it's easy(and you could also use those Tuscan peppers)

~Erin,
Oddly, the party we were at on the 4th had fireworks in the backyard that were purchased in NH(someone goes up every summer for them) and they were pretty scary and also "semi-unsafe"

creative kerfuffle said...

when i first opened this post (before i got to the country living attribute) i thought that was your house : ) soooo cute. those peppercini things sound yummy! i might actually have to try those. sounds like a recipe my gma used to stuff mushrooms w/.

Gal Friday said...

c.k.,
I knew people would assume that house/setting was my own and I didn't want to mislead anyone so I was sure to leave a credit to where I found the image. I saw it back in winter and saved it because it appealed to me so much and said "summer" to me.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum Im glad I caught this recipe.Its a bit late but better late than never,lol.Im jotting this down and thanks for sharing!

cessie said...

Yum the pepperoncini sound devine!! And very summerish! Guess your friends liked them again this year round!
Love the photo you picked for this entry, real country living :)