Sunday, September 5, 2010

Practically Laborless Recipe...


...for the Labor Day weekend.

This is my latest go-to cold summer salad(my other one here) . I have made it quite a bit these past few weeks. It is mild tasting(children and adults alike would like it) and quick to put together(and the ingredients can easily be doubled), so it is also perfect to make for last-minute suppers, impromptu gatherings and cook-outs. I just made it an hour ago and it is chilling in the fridge until we are ready to leave for a late afternoon "end-of-summer" cookout at a friend's house.


Orzo & Green Bean Salad
***
******
prep time: about 15 minutes
cooking time: about 10 to 12 minutes
chilling time: half hour to overnight
makes: about 6 servings
*****
**
1/2 lb green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into approx. 3/4" pieces


1 cup orzo pasta


1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill(this is optional--I usually leave it out)


1 large ripe tomato, chopped


salt and freshly ground black pepper


4 tablespoons olive oil


2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar


1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans(another variation: slivered, dry toasted almonds)


1.Cook green beans in a medium size pot, in boiling water(can use a steamer basket, too). Cook or steam for about 4 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.


2.Meanwhile,bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to boil over high heat. Add the orzo. reduce heat to medium-high, and cook for 8 or 9 minutes, or until slightly tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.

3. In a large bowl, mix tomato, dill(if using), salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar.

4. Add cooked, cooled beans(cool beans!) to the tomato mixture. Add the orzo and nuts and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. Serve chilled or at room temperature.






5 comments:

Barb said...

Sounds like a fresh, delicious salad - and one even I could make. I like your new photo of yourself in the sidebar!

Zuzana said...

Have a happy Labor Day weekend.;) It seems like a great recipe to try.;)) Maybe even I, the terrible cook can manage this.;))
xoxo

creative kerfuffle said...

that looks lovely! i wish my family would eat that! lol--the green beans and toms would kill it for them.

Claus said...

Hmmm...I don't like green beans, but didn't realized it was an ingredient until I read the recipe. Before that, I looked yummy!!so...I think I would like it despite them! :-)) Food, they say, enter through eyes first :-))
Great summer recipe!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think I am going to try this tomorrow. Love fresh salads. Summer is great for this. THANKS.