Friday, March 25, 2011

The View From Here...


...and a Friday Fill-In:


1. Why does it _____happen to some people, and not others?

2. Reading the news headlines at my Yahoo homepage every morning_____ is equal _____ to injecting ones spirit with high doses of disgust with humanity, despair, anxiety and depression.

Look, for example at today's' news blurbs:
*Libyan airspace 'under control' as 2 sides meet 22 mins ago
*Gunmen kill 8 in attack on minibus in Pakistan 2 hrs 4 mins ago
*Syrians mass for demos; reporters banned from city 28 mins ago
*Strong quake in Myanmar kills more than 70 2 hrs 4 mins ago
*Dangerous breach suspected at Japanese nuke plant 50 mins ago (jeez, can it get any worse for Japan?!)

Even though I know better than to click on some of these news links, I often do and then start off my day feeling sick and worried. Today, I just won't click on any. But, one news blurb did make me smile inside:
* Archaeologists discover saber-toothed vegetarian
I just have this hilarious image in my head of some fanged beast goring and ferociously devouring a tomato or a banana.

3. My favorite breakfast includes _____ a Bloody Mary to start, fresh slices of melon, a bagel with cream cheese and lox, and coffee.

4. The Angel's Promise by Frédéric Lenoir & Violette Cabesos
_____ was the last book I read _____ that I was totally captivated by.

The international bestseller and award-winning thriller that takes its reader on a richly imaginative journey to the depths of Mont-Saint-Michel.

Rising out of the sea on a rocky isle off the coast of France, the church and abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel have withstood the harsh northern weather—and withheld its darkest medieval mysteries—for one thousand years. Until now.

Now a young, brilliant archaeologist, Johanna, has begun to uncover and explore secrets that have long lain buried at the sacred site. In ancient ritual, in foreboding visions, in an expedition at once metaphysical and archaeological, Johanna ardently researches the past only to discover that its bizarre, murderous history has begun to be repeated in the present. Reality becomes an elusive, dangerous place, and it leaves Joanna with no one she can fully trust.
Hardcover, 448 pages
Published July 1st 2006 by Pegasus Books (first published 2004)


5. I am SO glad _____March is nearly over.

6. Lying in a hammock, drowsily listening to birdsong, under strong sunshine and oh...say 75*F temps_____ would make me feel better right now.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to _____making fish tacos(we have decided seafood is allowed on our Lenten "no meat" experiment), tomorrow my plans include _____ *maybe* tackling some yard clean-up(it hasn't been warm out at all and I do not like to do any yard work when it is too cold out, even though my yard really needs to be dealt with) and Sunday, I want to _____have caught up with reading my favorite blogs by then!

11 comments:

Sandra Collins said...

great Friday Fill-Ins - enjoy your weekend

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love your favorite breakfast.
:-)

have a wonderful weekend.
It's supposed to snow here. What the heck is that about it's spring time. The apple blossom are out and look beautiful here in our nations capital and it's snowing?
Aargh.

Janet said...

I had to smile at the saber-toothed vegetarian, too :-)

I'll be having an amazing bloody mary for breakfast at a Disco Brunch (LOL!) on Sunday...I'll toast to you :-)

and I'm with you on #6!!! Have fun this weekend :-)

Barb said...

I like that you're a dreamer and a doer. I just came inside (in Denver) from watering with a hose - it's sooooo dry here. In the Mts - still much snow. Bloody Mary, huh? My husband would join you. I just had a peach and champagne drink at Brunch last week (I can't remember name) - so good!

Gal Friday said...

~Sandra C.
Thanks for stopping by-and I intend to enjoy this weekend(even though there will be indoor or outdoor cleaning involved)

~Peg,
We have had snow lately, too--I was thoroughly disgusted seeing two inches of that stuff coating the ground the other morning, but at least the stronger sun melts it all away within a day.

~Janet,
Disco Brunch?!!? I would love to try that one day....

~Barb,
Ooohh..that drink sounds lovely. I think it is called a Bellini. I will make sure to pick up some things from the store so I can have either a Bellini or Bloddy Mary this weekend some time.

Nofretiri said...

Thanks for stopping by! :-)

*hmm* Haven't tried them before, but Fish Tacos sounds wonderful! *yummie* And for sure, my cats will agree! =^..^=

One additional note to WTJ:
The book is available in English: Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith. You shall also have a look at the WTJ-group on flickr, it's amazing, what all the other artists made out of their books!

Leave me a note, when you'd joined in! But beware, the book is highly addictive! :-)))

Wish you a happy weekend!

Bellezza said...

Wow...I so agree with number 2. That's why I can hardly watch the news at night, either. You phrased it beautifully in your sentence capturing exactly how I feel, too.

Zuzana said...

Hello dear Tina - so agree with your #2! I feel exactly the same, i have stopped reading news for a few days, I have had it.
Your favorite breakfast sounds delicious, as does that hammock and 75F.;) And the book sounds intriguing.;)
Have a lovely weekend,
xoxo

Jack said...

Your #6 is just what I need right now.

It went up to 12 degrees Celsius yesterday and people were walking around town with just little sweaters and sweatshirts... so nice to see!

Arty said...

I can't help notice the news on Yahoo's front page, either. I've read so much on the Libyian and Japan crisis that can't stand it any more.

March has been a terrible month. I'm glad it's over too.

Anonymous said...

I keep missing your blog! I'm loving this photo on the right side bar... of my White Mountains... (right?)

The book seems wonderful. I'm really loving my book right now too.

I just said to Dan that I could use lying in a hammock without a care in the world except figuring out dinner. Sigh.

Hope you are well! xo