Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Back and Forth


Is it April already??


I guess I should get a blog entry written then. Since April began, we have had snow and then a few days later, a warm enough day that I peeled down to a tank top to rake up dead leaves and winter's debris from my front lawn.

My days have been pretty busy, mostly because of my daughter's activities, including a driver's education class on weekends(both Saturday and Sunday) and her being in the band, chorus AND a musical play(with some rehearsals ending at 10:00 at night). Other times, my brain is lazy and can't bring myself to write anything, preferring to lounge on the couch or in bed at night reading.

Often, I think of things to write about and see/hear things throughout my day that I want to share here, but it doesn't actually ever happen. I don't have an iPhone or iPad or any other way to communicate and blog, other than our home PC. Yeah, I am really old school.


Here is a rundown of a typical day this spring--my day yesterday in all its "to and froing" mundane glory(what I can remember of it).


6:10 AM

My "alarm" goes off, which means R's alarm goes off in her room, she gets right up(gotta love a teenager who can do that every school morning) to let Jewel out of her room, and Jewel runs into my bedroom and jumps on the bed, does her Snoopy yawn/yowl and I am awake. Which is actually a good way to be woken up. Because of her presence, I get to start the morning off happy(sometimes laughing a little, depending on how crazy her Snoopy yawn comes out that day), scratching behind Jewel's ears and petting her as she curls up in the space between me and Mr. F.


6:15 AM

I finally force myself to fling the covers off me, step into my fuzzy slippers and stumble into the bathroom to wash my face. The mornings are usually still dark enough that I have to turn the light on in there, and that is always a painful thing to do--that harsh ceiling light first thing.


6:17 AM

Let the cat out,

get the coffee going in the kitchen,

let the dog out,

pull some things out of the fridge to make my daughter a lunch,

let the dog back in,

fill her water and food bowl,

then make R's lunch.

Yesterday, I made a a beautiful big salad (spring greens, sliced avocado, chick peas, cucumber slices, carrot curls, grated Monterrey Jack cheese, with a small dash of Balsamic vinegar dressing on top) for her, cut up some pita bread triangles, a can of Coke(sad to say, but with her schedule these days, my girl has discovered the virtues of caffeine, drinking coffee, tea and colas quite often), and a Luna nutrition bar.


6:21 AM

Pour myself my first cup of coffee. Ahhhh....


6:22 AM

Turn on computer, stare out the window(foggy and grey putside), listen to the birds.


6:24 AM

Check the day's e-mails(trying to avoid the news blurbs on the homepage),

see my reminder that I have an 8:10 dentist's appointment.

Groan a little about it since I now know I can't be lazy on my Tuesday morning (my day off during the week).


6:30 AM

Say "good morning" to Mr. F in the hallway, as I go to refill my cup and he heads into the bathroom for his shower.


6:38 AM

Double check with R what her schedule after school is today. She has a field trip with the concert band to a state-wide competition where they will be "adjudicated"(I never heard this word in my life until last year when she started using it for these music shows) where she'll leave school on a bus at 11:30 and return by 3:00 to school, so I'll be picking her up then.


6:39 AM

Let the cat back in (after hearing his typical banging of the back door's screen door--his way of letting us know he wants in).


6:45 AM

Say good-bye to R as she slips out the front door.

Get dressed.

Eat a bowl of cereal.



7:00 AM

Help Mr. F load the bins of recyclable cans, bottles and cardboard and paper into the back of my car(they are overflowing, so my plan is to take them to the dump after my dentist appointment).


7: 05 AM

Kiss Mr. F good-bye, and take Jewel out for her morning walk down to the river.


7: 25 AM

Brush teeth extra well!

Leave house for dentist's appointment(usually a 20 minute drive unless I get stuck behind a lot of commuters on the hill to get onto the main road).


7:37 AM

Finally get out onto the main road, after having sat in traffic through a few lights on the hill.


8:09 AM

Get to dentist's office in the nick of time. Get teeth checked and cleaned(that hygienist was brutal on my gums!).


9:00 AM

Back into car, gums hurting a little. Head in opposite direction to get to the local dump to get rid of my recyclables.


10:40 AM

Get back to house, after errands(post office and drugstore after leaving dump), very hungry!


10:45 AM

Heat up oven for frozen breaded eggplant patties for lunch(with a tomato sauce between bread), put eggplant in oven.


10:50 AM

Notice there is a message on my phone and listen to R's pleading voice telling me she forgot her black tights and could I bring them to the school? (they are required to be dressed in all black-no bare legs showing). Shut oven off, and take out half-baked eggplant patties.


10:55 AM

Jump back into car(with Jewel ), grumbling to myself about this daughter who forgets everything and how lucky she is that I was even home to hear that message and be able to rescue her from her predicament as I drive towards the school. Trying to reason with myself not to be upset with her since she has so much to remember and I know I couldn't do any better, and if anything she gets her scatter shot attitude from me.


11:15 AM

Hand a bag holding the black tights to R in the school's office and immediately forget my anger over the incident when I see her smiling face and get a happy hug of thanks from her. I tell her "good luck" , and I get in the car and drive back home.


11:30 AM

Get back to the house,

finish cooking my lunch.


2:47 PM

Get call from daughter saying they will be late getting back to school and then wait until I hear from her again to know when to pick her up.


4:30 PM

After getting the second call from daughter, drive back to the high school,

wait 15 minutes for the arrival of the bus and then drive back home with her.


6:00 PM

After Mr. F gets home, we decide we want pizza for supper, so I get back in the car once again and drive to pick up a margherita pizza.


6:30 PM

The ex-boyfriend(!) comes to pick up Rachel for the play's rehearsal. Earlier, I had asked her to try to see if anyone could give her a ride to the school since I was getting a little weary(my butt was actually getting stiff from sitting in that car seat so much all day) of driving(and my car's gas tank running a little low by now), thinking of someone near our neighborhood who could swing by, but instead she asked him?!?


7:55 PM

After kitchen clean-up and discovering that my daughter never even ate the salad I made for her(aaarrgghhh..! Why do I bother sometimes?!), I draw a bath and take a long soak in the tub, knowing that I could finally relax because Mr. F was going to go and bring R home from the rehearsal(ending at 9:30).











12 comments:

Barb said...

A much busier day than mine, but I do still remember these days of ferrying children and obligations. Your daughter seems focused to me with all her school activities. I keep wondering though - what did she eat for lunch since she is a vegetarian? You deserved the soak!

Gal Friday said...

Barb,
I can't imagine how I would cope if I worked full-time or had more than one child(but I would)! My daughter only ate the nutrition bar all day, according to her.

SandraG said...

By the time you are retired you'd think you wouldn't have all those "child" obligations but it ain't necessarily so! Spent my day driving my daughter to a root canal appointment.

It's not only April but April 6th!!

Clare said...

You are having a busy month just like I am. Thank you for sharing your day with us. I especially like the looking out of your window listening to the birds and the pizza parts!

Zuzana said...

Wow, I should do this, write down the times and follow my daily activities.;)) This was fun. But on the other hand I think my post would only contain boring additions like got up and got to work and there would be very little fun in between.;))
Nice to see you back here, I am happy your survived March and can now look forward to beuatiful seasons.;))
Thank you also for your visit and very kind comments, I am now off on an extended blog break, but count on being back in a month or so.
Take care dear friend,
xoxo

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You can make my lunch anytime!!
I would have loved that salad.

I am going to try this for one day. I think it may exhaust me but it would be interesting to try to do.

When your daughter gets her license that should free up some time.
I don't know how you mom's do it all !!!!

Claus said...

busy day!! No wonder they go by without you noticing! It's been happening to me lately as well. I go to sleep, and when I least expect it, I am up again, running - like a robot! - all the home chores that need to be tackled before leaving for work, where I too go up and down, in an out of tasks and responsibilities, only to go back home to tackle yet another set of "must do's" before my exercise routine, a shower, feeding the pups and going to sleep, so that the next day it can all happen again!! :-O
Life becomes a "schedule" sometimes, don't you think?
Hoping the weather stays a bit warmer this time, and no "cold" surprises keep happening.
enjoy your day!

Gal Friday said...

~Sandra,
It is a good thing you have a child near enough that you can still rely on each other for those kinds of things, though, isn't it? I grumble, but I really wouldn't want it any other way.

~Clare,
Life is good even when it is a little busy.

~Zuzana,
Well, my day was hardly interesting(and I left out the even more boring parts).
I guess I have bad timing--I get back into being active at Blogger and you are taking a little hiatus! I will look forward to your return, Zuzana. :-)

Peg,
I keep thinking the same thing about her driving, but then..I'll have something else to worry about.
I really should not have complained about my day yesterday--it was still easier than my daughter's day(and she has mamy days like this, where I even have to deleiver her supper to her at the school because she goes from rehearsal to rehearsal at the school and doesn't come home until after nine at night!)

~Claus,
That is a good way of describing it--you feel like a robot sometimes! I really wish you could get a nice break(a true vacation!) one of these days.

Quirky Cafe said...

Busy busy day Mrs F! I will have the salad that R didn't eat - and maybe one of the breaded eggplant! :-) I hope your bath was blissful. xx

Gal Friday said...

Quirky,
I would have LOVED to have given you that salad, instead of it going to waste like that.
Oh yeah..the bath was SO blissful, I think I have to blog about it, believe it or not..!

Manders said...

Busy. Since I already feel like Mom's Taxi Service, I know how you feel completely....Ahh the joys of parenting!

Anonymous said...

I loved this... I should write my day down... (although, you did read the snippet from last week - ack!)

There are some days, I don't sit down until 9ish, and have little to show for it.

:-)