Saturday, April 16, 2011

Record Store Day


Newbury Comics, Newbury Street, Boston




"dusty violin maker shop small corner record store water holes for dreamers don't stop breathe more”

- The Record Store by Damien Rice


"I was introduced to lots of great music through my local record store. It was a place where people knew music and they knew me, and could make great suggestions and discoveries. Whether it is in the physical world or on-line, the value of a great and knowledgeable record store has not gone away"

- Peter Gabriel


"Growing up in Rhode Island, not really the center of the rock world, Independent record stores were like a community meeting place for kids who looked beyond the Top 40 charts and were open to hearing something other than what the big record companies told you should like. Any of the significant musicians of the past thirty years, I first heard and heard about through independent record stores from the music playing in the store, the true music fans/staff, and the independent magazines and music sold there. Independent stores are the only places where the history of music can still be found along with the next great music not just a few titles from a select few. Thanks to long missed stores like Sam's, Tom's Tracks, Moffat's, and Two Guys to "Still Doing It" Luke's and Newbury Comics. Support the little guy!!!"

- William Chalko



Woke up with the Prince song, Raspberry Beret in my head this morning.

Sort of appropriate since today is International Record Store Day.

I have to work today(eh), and there is a record(and CD) shop right next to where I work(yay!), so I'll definitely be popping in there to buy some new music on a lunch break.

If you are lucky enough to still have an independently owned record shop near you, don't deny yourself the musical adventure and feeling of discovery(which used to be so common to so many, but is now a dying thing...)today!

Support your indie record store.

The above quote mentioned "Sam's" and "Tom's Tracks" in Rhode Island--and it took me right back to those days , buying the latest XTC, The Fall, Julian Cope or Tom Tom Club LP, EP or 45 single. *sigh*

In Boston(I was a student there in the 80's), I used to buy at least one new record a week, mostly at Nuggets on Commonwealth Ave. in Kenmore Square. I wasn't even sure if they were still in business, so Googled them this morning and was elated to discover they are still there! Miraculous!

Of course, Newbury Comics , which started out as a closet size shop selling comics and punk 45 singles on Boston's Newbury Comics(moving down the street to slightly larger accommodations and then into a successful chain with 27 stores throughout New England) is still around.


This is a short blog entry --might have more to share about today, later.


Now, I have to jump into some clothes(maybe the new "old" clothes I bought at the consignment shop yesterday that make me feel like a 50's housewife), eat breakfast and go off to work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in the Boston area all through the 80's and in the 90's was in grad school there. Love Newbury Comics. I remember Tower records but not Nuggets, hmmmm....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I love record stores. I so wish I had one where I live.
There was a great one where I grew up and they would have music on that of course I never heard and I'd ask about it and they'd show me the album and before you know I have been exposed to new music. I bought a lot of music that way. Love love love it. Kids are truly missing out on this. the ipod has ruin a lot and no one even realizes what they are missing which is the sad part. Besides when I grew up in the stone ages we used album covers for a multitude of things. :-)

what are you wearing that makes you feel like June Clever please tell.

Content in a Cottage said...

Tina ... I can't even remember the last time I bought a record. I even gave away my turntable before moving into the cottage bacause of the space restraints. I'm glad you are still supporting the music industry in this way. No consignment shops --- that's another thing. I love finding nice vintage clothes. Did anyone at work comment on your 50s housewife ensemble?

Gal Friday said...

~starrlife,
Tower Records showed up on the scene much later(at the end of Newbury, but it is gone now, isn't it?)--Nuggests is on Comm. Ave--close to Kenmore.

~Peg,
I remember that, too--being in a record shop, hearing this fantastic music, asking what it was, then purchasing that record and going home with it! I didn't end up wearing my June Cleaver clothes afterall yesterday becasue it was so damned cold!


~Rosemary,
We still have a turntable(and the vinyl records to play on it) in this house(two, in fact. My husband collects vinyl
LP's and 45's.
If it continues to stay warm, I'll be wearing my new(old) skirts and dresses soon(exposing bare legs was not something I wanted to do yesterday becasue of the weather) and maybe I'll get some positive comments. :-) I have decided I want to wear more skirts and dresses from now on.

Manders said...

We just recently introduced the kids to records at Christmas time!! ("Are those black, huge cds?") It was awesome! I love records...