Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Just an ordinary day

I walked the dog along the seawall this morning, after dropping R off at the school. At least the sidewalk along the wall was clear. Across the street, it was all snow and ice covering the walk, still--guess the town never bothered to clear that off?
The ocean was as still as a sheet of grey steel, with only a slight ripple across it's surface. I can't remember seeing it that quiet. A weak sun tried to cast it's light through the thin clouds.The sky was anemic shades of washed out pink and blue.

I had a slightly thrilling discovery as I looked out over the water. A seal -- it's head just visible above the water, gliding along, disappearing under the water from time to time, then popping up further along.

Yep, that was as exciting as my day got. Although discovering more seed catalogs in the mailbox was pretty exciting for me, too. I am dreaming of growing strawberries, cucumbers and mini bok choy this year.

I took down the tree and ditched it out on the back deck (J will have to deal with it later on this week), after taking off all the ornaments and rounding up most of the Christmas decorations from around the house. I always seem to overlook a few and then discover then later on in the month of January. Then when I see them I am too lazy to drag out the box the holiday stuff gets stored in and just leave them there all winter. We have had a cloth star "quilt" R made in the fourth grade for Christmas, hanging from our bathroom doorknob for four years now.

I made the Obama Chili again, but fired things up with some extra spices and jalapeno peppers this time. It turned out much better.

Well, what do you know?! Just now I was pleasantly shocked to find out I had no misspellings when I "spellchecked" this entry. I thought for sure I had anemic wrong.

6 comments:

Arty said...

Great photo and nice to discover something always on your walk. My sons would have loved that.

We've gotten rid of most of the xmas ornaments too and to be honest, that's the exact same thing I did with the tree lol. Dumped it outside and took care of it the next day. The rain got to it during the night but oh well :)

SandraG said...

I am finding this site incredibly slow today and frustrating as we get charged extra for extra time on-line. Grrrr . . . . We were able to throw out one large Christmas decoration box this year. I threw out some decorations we hadn't used for a while and some that we replaced with gifts from friends.

I know my kids are not going to want our "stuff" so we figure it's wise to get rid of it while we're still able to know what we're doing! :-)

Zuzana said...

I took my tree down on Monday; I hate doing that. It is like saying good buy to a good friend.
But then again, now it is time to look forward. And hopefully an early spring, as you do with your plans for planting.;)

Manders said...

I hope to garden this year, too! Aidan loves gardening, so we are planning a few veggies in the back yard, perhaps a couple sun flowers?? And lots of bike rides...Ahhh spring!

Gal Friday said...

Arty,
The photo isn't mine. I found it at a free photo site. I didn't have my camera with me that day and even if i had I am sure I would not have gotten such a clear shot.
My daughter told me that she saw a fat harbor seal lolling about on a rock in the same location when they passed the seawalll coming home on the schoolbus! (she had a nice elevated view looking down into the water and rocks at the edge). I bet it was the very same seal.

Sandra,
I do the same thing every year--weed out decorations we didn't put out and we now have everything in one big box(except for the tree stand).
You never know about the things you decided tpo part with, though--there *might* be a few decorations or ornaments that your children will tell you one day, "You got rid of it? I always loved that one!"

Protege,
My tree stood naked for most of the day yesterday--such a sad sight. Although, last night my living area seemed vast and spacious without the tree in the middle of everything. Yes, it is fun to dream about planting and planning for it..., but it isn't until May that the real planting begins here.

Manbders,
Oh, yes, I had forgeotten about sunflowers. I might try some mini ones(in pots on the deck) this year. What a rewarding flower that is to grow--it comes up quick, is wonderfully big and you really can't kill it. :-)

Gal Friday said...

Manbders?? Ooops.sorry, Manders.... :-P