In my typical way, it has taken me weeks and weeks to acknowledge and participate in an Honest Scrap award/tag I was given by both Claudia and Zuzana. Thank you, ladies, for thinking of me, and I didn't forget you--just sort of filed it away in the "must-add-to-blog-eventually" file. And I pulled it out of that file today.
Here are the "official" rules:
A) List 10 honest things about yourself—and make them interesting, even if you have to dig deep!
B) Pass the award on to 7 bloggers(I think I'll pass it on two beautiful Greek bloggers--Anastasia and December Girl) who you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap and whose blogs you find brilliant in design or content.
So, here are some possibly interesting and honest things about the Gal Friday.
1. I can't read a mystery unless it is set in the British Isles. I have tried mysteries set in the U.S., Italy, etcetra, but for some reason it doesn't seem right to me and I just can't enjoy them. So, it is always British "location" mysteries for me, be it a "cozy"(Ann Granger), or a psychological one (Ruth Rendell, Minette Walters) or classic old-school mysteries(Agatha Christie).
2. I can't whistle. Never could figure out how to do it.
3. I have never played any kind of video game(if this is even the correct name for them) or X Box or Nintendo or Guitar Band(or is it Rock Hero?) and have zero interest in ever doing so.
4. I love polka dots--definitely have a weakness for them. I would just love to have this blouse, for instance.
5. Also, I have a weakness for striped socks and stockings. Even at age of "nearly" 47, if I see a pair of striped knee socks, I am immediately attracted and want to buy them. I just bought a pair of black and white knee high ones the other day.
6. I am very childish about things like old cartoons and children's books. I'll happily sit down to watch old Bugs Bunny and Pink Panther cartoons and guffaw loudly, or look at and even still buy children's picture books(I say it is for my husband's third grade classroom). I miss reading aloud to my daughter very much. And I am continually amazed by the beautiful and/or funny books out there for children. I also love having copies of old favorites from my childhood around.
7. I don't eat eggs other than scrambled(and then they have to be very dry and cooked to death and even then I can't sometimes finish them) or in a recipe(as in baked goods). Just to look at and smell fried or hard or soft-boiled eggs makes me sick. I think I have written about this before. I think I am running out of unique things to tell about myself at this point.
8. I am very afraid of heights. A real phobia.
Crossing a tall bridge, whether as a passenger or driver(white knuckles gripping the steering wheel the whole way over) is an almost panicky thing for me. I can't stand against a glass window of a skyscraper window (went to the top of one of the now-gone World Trade Towers once as a teen and felt physically ill and could only remain in the center against a wall) and am barely able to even watch other people without my form of fear as they peer down cliff edges and other tall places. I won't even go on a Ferris Wheel at a fair! Just the *thought* of the movie
"Man On A Wire" gives me a chill.
9. I often fear I am not liked--in my online and offline life. I worry that I say things the wrong way, am annoying, and offend people(when I don't mean to) and come off as strange and snobby. I hide behind a mask of sorts and only really open up to a few people when I feel safe and I think people who don't know me well can't see beyond that. Now, I actually like myself(have learned to do away with most self-esteem issues and accept I am stuck with who I am, so might as well make the best of it)--but still don't like that some people don't like me. Should a nearly 50 year old person be this silly and confused? Probably not, but that is how I have always been.
10. I love it when men wear black turtlenecks(or in the case of my husband who can't stand anything that high up on his neck--black or dark colored "mock" turtlenecks). Such a good look on a man...oh yeah.White turtlenecks, on the other hand--not such a good look on a man, IMHO. Unless, you are Tony Bennett--now HE can wear a white turtleneck(and can sing).
14 comments:
I feel very honoured about this tag which I will put up on my TypePad blog tomorrow. I'm not sure if honesty is a virtue , Tina. I know! I know, I can be very blunt at times! I'd rather say something to your face than behind your back. But that's me!
Great post Tina! Loved reading all those things about you.;))
I can not whistle either! Nor snap my fingers, hehe.;))
I love eggs though, but just like you I too worry about being liked. Or worry about hurting someone unintentionally.;))
But not too worry, you are the most kind person I know and you will always be liked by me.;))
Have a wonderful Saturday Tina and thanks for playing along.;)
xoxo
Tina, thanks so much for this little surprise, it really cheered me up :) I will do it as soon as I figure out what ten things about myself I can post.
I can relate SO much with your number ten. It's as if you're describing me. We're so alike and you know, being you is better than trying to be someone you're not and to heck with what others think :)
I liked Inspector Morse because I lived in the town it was set, but I'm not so much into mysteries.
Also can't eat anything with eggs. I have the same aversion.
And as "silly" as you in my mid forties. I'm in good company!
xxoo
This was such a great post Tina. I enjoyed learning more about you. My husband shares your fear of heights but I have a feeling R. is going to be a thrillseeker so down the line I will have a fellow lover of high rollercoasters. I only like eggs scrambled and cooked the heck out of. For the record, we have never met but I know that if we lived closer, I would constantly be inviting you to go to the bookstore and browse through magazines and have a cup of tea.
Oh and I agree with the british mysteries being the only good ones. I think that the only man who could play Sherlock Holmes to perfection was Jeremy Brett.
Colin Firth rocks the turtleneck. yummm
I can't whistle when I blow out, but I can when I suck in. Sounds odd, but . . .
(Are you trying it now?) Let us know the result.
fun to learn more about you. I always have a hard time answering things like this about myself.
I think we all have little bouts of insecurity, so you are completely normal Tina!! :-) As we age we get more comfortable in our skins, or maybe it's that we just don't give a crap what others think!! lol
have a great weekend!!
That was another very interesting post from you, Tina!!!:) Thanks for doing it, it was great to learn so many new things about you!!!:)
I can't believe that you could fear you're not liked... You of all people!!! No way!!!:) You're such a sweet, interesting, intelligent, talented and beautiful lady...:) So I'm pretty sure that if anyone doesn't like you indeed, that person is just not worth it, I mean it!!!:P
By the way, I also fear the same as you... I know it is silly, I know I can't please everyone or make everyone like me, but I still fear rejection a great deal...:P
Such a great and honest entry! :-) It's always exciting to learn new things about a friend. Share with you the egg thing...yuck!, and strangely enough, #9. But who wouldn't like you? You are such a great, honest, sincere person. You are you, no masks, and that's why people like you. See how many people come over here! No need to worry about that.
Yesterday, I was surfing YouTube, and knowing Halloween is next, I couldn't help but see Broomstick Bunny with Hazel the Witch, as well as Disney's the Legend of Sleepy Hollow...such classics! so I agree with you completely on #6 :-))
Wow I thought I would just pop in and say hi.. but what a blog.You know I felt like I was reading about myself lol.Except for the mystery books. But seriously, I love the stripped socks,I can relate to that so well.I go to Target and they have great socks,LOL.I fear heights as well,OMG I couldnt even walk accross a bridge here in my city when I was in high school I had to kinda let my umbrella hold me up.I love polka dots to and I love red and black together.As far as men in turtle necks oh yes love it.The childrens books I go to barnes and Noble just to look at them and Ive saifed my girls books so I could look at them every now and then.Eggs I hate,except pickled maybe.Great blog I may just do this as well sometime.
i like funky socks too--not just striped ones, but funky, themed, wild colors, etc.
and, i also have issues w/ people (online and off) liking me and being paranoid that they don't or wondering if some of my friends like each other better than me. yes, i too am silly that way. heights aren't too bad for me, but down escalators? freak me the hell out.
Anastasia,
Blunt is probably another word for bravely honest, which in the ned is not such a bad thing! And, I am glad you wanted to be "tagged".
~Zuzana,
Now that I think about it...I am not even sure that you "tagged" me for this(I know Claudia did)==it was so long ago, but I really liked the idea and enjoyed reading your own "honest things". So releived to hear you say I'll always be liked by you, too! :-)
~Arty,
I'll look forward to your own list whenever you can do it.
And I guess it's true that we are more alike than unalike in our little insecurities than we think...
~Only,
I am seriously envious of you having lived in the town(Ox.?) where the Morse mysteries are set!
~Clare,
I have to admit to never having seen any of the Jeremy Brett "Holmes" episodes, which other people have told me they loved, too. Gotta get them on my Netflix queue soon....
And just the thought of Colin in a turtleneck...oh..my...
~Terre,
Thanks for stopping by--and yes, I can whistle in...somewhat. I stil can't whistle a tune like that, though.
~Doreen,
I am not yet at the "don't give a crap what people think" stage, but getting there. In a way, it has ben reassuring to read some of the comments here and know that I am not that strange with my little insecurities and worries.
~Well, thank you, Vessie--coming from such a warm-hearted person as you, that makes me feel good to hear what you have to say! :-)
~
~Claudia,
Now, that is two more people I know, besides me, who don't care for eating eggs!
You know...I would LOVE to see that Hazel The Witch episode--have not seen that in years! Too bad we couldn't have watched it together.
~Becky,
I know EXACTLY what you mean about walking by those socks at places like Target! They are hard to resisit, aren't they? :-P
So fun to jlearn we have so many things in common and I am happy you stopped by to read and comment.
~c.k.,
Oh good--another funky sock person!
~
Post a Comment