
I worry about too many things but mostly I worry about very small things that happen at work.
I have lain awake at 3:00 in the morning(what is it about that particular time that most people wake up then to worry over things?) many times over the last few years, stressing over something I thought I did wrong or not right on the job and the problem would loom larger and larger.
Next morning, my worries would be gone and it turned out not to have been a problem at all. In fact, just yesterday I had a customer come in who was raving about the fantastic job I did framing a golf flag for him, when I had been so nervous a month ago when we framed it--fearing he would notice a slight stain that was on it(we never knew if it was there beforehand or we somehow did it). And yes, I had spent a sleepless early morning hour or two fretting over it. And it turned out to not be an issue at all. Like most of the things that keep me awake .
But something happened this afternoon that is making me worry all over again.
Now I know I'll be up worrying at 3:00 this morning because I am already worrying now. Worried that I have made a customer angry.
I closed shop today(boss away on vacation and the co-worker that usually does it was out) and was nervous(slightly) about all the little details that go into shutting the place down, because I rarely do it(normally, my schedule allows me to leave an hour and a half before closing time).
Shut off the compressor,
turn off the press,
lower the heat,
off with the lights,
money counted and credit sent for settlement
--just a few things to do before the alarm is turned on and the place locked up.
So...I was wanting to be sure I had everything done and was ahead of schedule and had the sign in the door already flipped to "closed" a few minutes before 5:00. As I was walking away from the door, I noticed a black Jeep with the door open and parked in front. I wasn't sure if this was a person who had wanted to come in, though. I thought that if they really wanted to get in(and had seen me inside) they might have knocked on the glass(that has happened before).
So I continued on with what I was doing, and then noticed the Jeep driving off.
Then...only then, did I begin to think I should have investigated and actually opened the door to see if that customer wanted to come in(since it was not technically closing time-- a few minutes before). So, yeah, now I feel all guilty(thought about it all the way home) and I feel I should have waited until after 5:00 to lock up. I feel like now I am going to get some angry call in the morning from that person. That it will get to my boss(or the other boss who runs a different location) and they'll be angry with me.
Crap.
Is this ridiculous or what? A grown woman stressing over this? Should I grow a spine?(yes..) Should I be taking some kind of medication??!
Realistically, I know the world will not end even if this person really did want to come in and drove off angry. I certainly wouldn't lose my job over it.
But why do I so easily feel guilty or I should have done better? It wasn't the worst thing in the world--not like I killed someone, right? It was close to "closing" time. These are the things I am trying to think to convince myself to not feel so bad about it.
*sigh*
If anyone can tell me they go through the same emotions, it might make me feel better.
Or else there was something in my upbringing that causes me to think and worry like a naughty child about so many things.
I almost wasn't going to publish this(baring my soul and my silly anxieties to the public might not be the best thing, after all).
Just writing it down was somewhat therapeutic for me,though.
11 comments:
Tina, Does this help?
Troubles are a lot like people - they grow bigger if you nurse them. ~Author Unknown
Try not to worry so much. Things seem so much worse in the middle of the night. Just try to turn over and go back to sleep. Rosemary
Sage advice from Rosemary.
You are not alone. My dr. told me yesterday that I am not handling stress well. I hate the S word.
I blame my worrying on genes.
Nothing will come of this, I am sure.
It's tough at that time in the morning. I try not to let these things get to me... but I know how those scenarios can eat at you.
Hang in there.
We have a common link. I can remember when I was a student and later as a teacher feeling as guilty as possible when general announcements were made about misdemeanors when I was not guilty for committing them. I think I am a perfectionist and that's why I hate making any mistakes.
I also remember the first time I went on the Internet and know that I would make some mistake that would shut down the whole system. My parents were not overly demanding at all so who knows why we develop these traits?
As for stress, well, I manage to get awesome bruises especially on my legs, when I scratch myself at night just from stress.
Three a.m. is my favourite time for being wide awake too. :-)
The comments here tonight
have fortified me and I am going to try my best to NOT mull this over to much. What's done is done and I'll deal with whatever hits the fan tomorrow. Like a big girl.
This post made me smile and nod with recognition. I am the same way. I hate leaving the lab as the last one, as I also suffer from a slight OCD and it can take me up to 15 minutes to shut everything down. I check and re-check everything. In the end I talk to myself confirming the shut down, or I would never leave.
I have driven into work once at 1 AM, after I went to bed, as I was unable to sleep, thinking I forgot to turn something off. Of course it was turned off.
So yes I GET this.;)
Hopefully you still could sleep though and your fears were exactly that, just fears.;)
Have a happy TGIF, it is your day.;)
xoxo
Zuzana
Zuzana,
me, too--me, too! I have done that where I HAD to go back to the shop(this was at the other frame shop I worked at before I got this job) in the middle of the night, to double-check that I had locked the door. I am a kind of sloppy, randaom person so don't think OCD applies to me, but I think I do have perfectionist tendencies(hate to make a mistake and don't want people to be unhappy with me)and a touch of OCD, myself.
At any rate--I slept soundly last night--right through the dreaded 3:00 hour.
I remember reading a book once that was named "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff..... and it is all small stuff." I don't remember the author though. Maybe a good book for you to read when you are up at night fretting!! :-)
(my word verification is sners, how funny!!)
Did we have the same parents?
:-)
I may want to hire you though - it's hard to find employees who give a rats ass.
I wish I had a great answer for you because I do the same thing. I should know better by now but that 3am hour is killer. What I will recommend is NOT to watch Paranormal State at 3am like I did.
Dark house, hubby and dog asleep, and I am watching something that scared the shit out of me. Now I really couldn't sleep and all the creaks in the house were flipping me out. But hell, I forgot about all the other things I was stressing about.
I hope I don't worry you - I came to visit you from someone who visits me. Thus, I have read a few of your posts and will comment here. I have felt this circular night-time worry that goes nowhere and solves nothing. Morning always seems to bring its own solutions. Sometimes, if I feel worry starting, I begin to breathe deeply and focus on the breath - does this sound too weird and New Age? Actually, being present with the breath does bring you a sense of peace. Try it - maybe it will work for you, too.
You are not alone.
I often say "I was born a worrier". I stress and worry and over analyze things that my family thinks are trivial. I can't help it, it's just the way I am :/
Jack ♥
Post a Comment